FS: 1972 250c with steelies or Monoblocks - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:17 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5928 View Post
It Changing to the larger wheels is almost the equivalent of getting an extra gear on the transmission. I've always thought your 250 looked sharp on those chrome wheels. Its a classy shade of blue, too.

I guess if you increase the wheel diameter by 20% or something maybe, but 5% or so does just that. You can compare tire size diameter on the rimsntires.com website using their comparison tool. It is true that using a larger diameter tire is somewhat like reducing the differential ratio giving you lower rpms at highway speed. However, a lower differential ratio also makes acceleration slower. So there is obviously some compromise.

I already got rid of that blue coupe and sold it at a parts car price. I believe it was resold in a matter of days to someone who planned on using it as a parts car. It not only had rust, but a lot of blow-by, and I never got the zenith carbs working perfectly despite having cleaned them, buying a full rebuild kit, obtaining spare parts, and rebuilding the carbs, and trying for weeks to get the car running right. I finally gave up, assuming I was fighting not only the carbs but engine issues too. It was a good learning experience, but it made me appreciate both (a) good running zeniths, and (b) the concept of swapping over to the simpler weber carbs. So there's some experience that speaks to the difficulty of getting non-running zeniths back to running shape.

I'm sure some videos of your car warming up and then running down the road will help sell it faster.
Dave5928 likes this.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 1972 250c (W114)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just rebuilt the ad and made it MUCH better and more easily digestible. With that much information, organization in classified ads is essential. Thanks @Fonzi for the tips: Classic 1972 Mercedes Coupe - w/ Video

And here's the link to the engine running: https://youtu.be/7m0Dm_Z6wHM
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 05:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 1998 SL500 w/ SL2 Package - 27k miles & counting...
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ad looks great Dave. Good luck with the sale. Hahaha "tough as a $2 steak" love it.
Dave5928 likes this.

Darren

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey Darren, I'd be glad to trade you for that 928 S4 in your profile pic. I could try to convince the wife that it was a practical and safe car that even has back seats. Perfect! LOL! Your SL looks terrific. I have always wondered why their resale value isn't higher. They are beautiful German-crafted convertibles, for crying out loud! I look at those R129 SL's like yours and still think they look exciting and interesting. I still remember when they first came out. Compared to the R107, these things were from another galaxy far, far away.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 10:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Thanks for the kind words, Dave! Hahaha sorry but the 928s4 is gone buddy and I do miss it! It's crazy how much room that car had. The backseats were kind of a joke and I heard somewhere Porsche always did the useless backseats for the 4 seater insurance bracket. With the back seats folded down the amount of crap you could stuff into it was impressive! She was one of the most comfortable cars I've owned. Porsche got it right with this GT car because I would have had no problem driving across country in it.
The R129 is my baby and I highly doubt I'll ever sell it. I'm the second owner and I bought the car a couple of years ago with 20k on the clock from the dealer that sold it new in '98. They put me in touch with the original owner which was cool and he was a super nice guy so I know everything the cars been through. Which isn't much as it was his kept at his lake house in a climate controlled garage since new and only driven on nice days. He was happy to hear it was going to get the same treatment from me. Crazy he paid $90k for the car and only put 20k miles on it and I come along and get it in the mid teens! Ton of car for the money and it's an absolute blast! She has 27k miles on the clock now. Hopefully the values are a lot higher in 20yrs or so and maybe I'll consider selling haha. I remember when they first came out too. It was 1990 and I had just graduated high school. My jaw absolutely dropped when I saw my first one in person and I told myself I would have one someday!

The shark sure was perrty though. Ok, don't want to hijack your thread but at least we keep bumping it to the top!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zaino2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	1430425  
Dave5928 likes this.

Darren

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Great stories, Darren! Man, that 928 is s(e)x on wheels! Respect!

Quote:
I remember when they first came out too. It was 1990 and I had just graduated high school. My jaw absolutely dropped when I saw my first one in person and I told myself I would have one someday!
I graduated in 90 also and remember a similar reaction to the R129. It screamed 'Miami Vice' and oozed cool. Black with either a black or tan interior and AMG wheels is the one that has always been on my bucket list. They seemed so unattainable to a punk kid, driving an old 68 Ghia and trying to figure out life. Being a little bit older sure is fun. Now we get to play with these dream cars and live the dream. I'm really glad to have met you guys. Benzworld is a great place.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
So true, Dave. Miami Vice had some of the sexiest cars! Ya know I always liked the lines of a Ghia. I remember when I saw my first R129 I hopped in my Oldsmobile Delta 88, blue with blue velour and went home hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5928 View Post
Black with either a black or tan interior and AMG wheels is the one that has always been on my bucket list.
You mean like this? The orig owner had 17's on it so I jumped on some 18" AMG's as soon as I found them. You should think about grabbing one, there's tons of them in FL! Good to meet you too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1129.jpg (24.1 KB, 13 views)
Dave5928 likes this.

Darren

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Darren, you can't swing a dead cat without running across an R129 down here in Florida. There are plenty of them that are beaters and can be bought for 4-5K and then some exceptional ones for more but still modestly priced. Your car is done exactly the way my bucket list car will be. Alas, one impractical car is all that SWMBO (She whom must be obeyed) will tolerate. I've got two teens and two toddlers so a two seater convertible is not likely to grace my garage anytime soon. As we all know by now, patience and awareness of exactly what you want will ultimately yield the car of your youthful dreams.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
I like your logic, Dave. 4 kids? Good work pal! Any bites on the w114?

Darren

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey Darren,
The car isn't getting as much of my time because my new sons are far more interested in filling my weekends with playing 'dad' instead of 'car guy'. I've had a few crazies, a few tire kickers and one 'I'll be back' . Not surprising as these are special cars that aren't meant for all. I remember when W114's and W115's were a dime a dozen. You barely see them any longer. R129's are going to be that way 20 years from now, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in