LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Buying a 94 s420 need advice

Hello all I'm looking to buy a 1994 Mercedes s420 it needs a.c. work and 2 window regulators replaced and he wants 2000$ with 129k miles I'm wonder if this price is worth it and how much I'm looking at putting in to it also how much is the regular maintenance on it I'd appreciate any advice you guys have thanks ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2015
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Its a 95 not 94
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Find a local independent Mercedes shop or MB dealership and pay for a Pre Purchase Inspection. These are very sophisticated cars with sophisticated issues at times. If it has been neglected it could possibly cost $1-4K to get it sorted out. Having it inspected "before" you buy would be the best money you ever spent. There is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes.
Teutone likes this.

1989 560 SEC Supercharged - 317+ rwhp - H&R lowered - OZ Nova's - upgraded brakes - AMG Tri-Y's - Bergwerks FGS - a true Euro Rod
1995 E320 wagon
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 09:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Exclamation

You should post your question in the W140 forum.

This is a "For Sale" forum, not a place to ask technical questions.

Plenty of us W140 owners in the W140 forum. Come on over and we'll help you out.

Dan
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 04 E500; 00 SL500 Sport/Pano; 94 E420; 92 500E; 92 300CE; 81 380SL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
What they said

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallyd View Post
Hello all I'm looking to buy a 1994 Mercedes s420 it needs a.c. work and 2 window regulators replaced and he wants 2000$ with 129k miles I'm wonder if this price is worth it and how much I'm looking at putting in to it also how much is the regular maintenance on it I'd appreciate any advice you guys have thanks ?
The advice already given is good, add too it common failures for 94-95's that your PPI should look for;

1- All three wire harnesses in the engine compartment, Engine harness, Starter harness & ETA harness - all need to be replaced if original from factory, original wire insulation is bad and wires will short out.

2 - A/C Evaporator - All of them will start to leak, factory originals need to be replaced

These items alone could be another $4 to 7K depending who does it. Most likely the A/C problem is a leaking Evap, requiring to pull the entire dash assemblies out of the car to get access to the bad evap. Change all of the vacuum pods while your there... easy $2000 job, probably a lot more at stealership, mostly labor by the way, if you want to do it yourself, the parts are probably 300-400..

3 - Looking for a mid 90's benz (any model), is best advised to find one that the owner has already made these common repairs.

If this work is needed, you will be spending more in repairs than the blue book value...

I would rather buy a 98-99 model that didn't suffer from these problems.

SL's & 124's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in