2000 sl500 55k miles garage kept thinking of selling mint condition - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: '84 380SL, '02 ML320, '00 Audi B5-S4, '11 Land Rover LR2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I missed if you said, but where is the car? I am currently looking for this year and price range. I am in Pennsylvania.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Chicago
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:19 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1984 280SE Euro, 1988 300SE, 2000 SL500, 2002 CLK55 AMG
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Interesting, I am selling my SL500- same year, similar mileage (mine has 52k miles) and is also in mint condition. Doesn't seem to be that much interest on the car, I am asking $12k. I've had one person come see the car so far, he really liked it, but hasn't gotten back to me. Then again, I just put it up for sale last Friday.

I honestly don't want to sell mine, just doesn't make sense for me to keep it as I am not driving it. I recommend you wait until your winter passes, and try selling it in the spring time. Will probably get more interest then.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: none as yet
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi

newby here interested in your car. Can you send pics to pant351@yahoo.com

Thanks

Bob
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 05:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrasho View Post
If anyone wants it I'll sell it for 11.5k
Prices on the R129s are incredibly soft in the US market. There seems to be plenty of them in various conditions, but the price levels are really depressed.

Looks like a nice car. I would say $11k might be possible, but it's definitely at the high end of the range. Trying to sell it in the winter is like attempting to sell freezers to Eskimos. People aren't looking for convertibles in the winter. Many of the auction cars are shipped down here (Florida) during this time of year, as they're the kiss of death in the Midwest right now. You might want to hold off until spring, which is when the sales will hit their peak.

I have a 1997 R129 that's in near perfect condition with 80k on it. On a really good day it might be worth $7k in my area.

Dan

Last edited by LWB250; 02-14-2015 at 05:20 AM.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
Prices on the R129s are incredibly soft in the US market. There seems to be plenty of them in various conditions, but the price levels are really depressed.

Looks like a nice car. I would say $11k might be possible, but it's definitely at the high end of the range. Trying to sell it in the winter is like attempting to sell freezers to Eskimos. People aren't looking for convertibles in the winter. Many of the auction cars are shipped down here (Florida) during this time of year, as they're the kiss of death in the Midwest right now. You might want to hold off until spring, which is when the sales will hit their peak.

I have a 1997 R129 that's in near perfect condition with 80k on it. On a really good day it might be worth $7k in my area.

Dan
Yes I realize they are soft and that is why I am looking, especially in winter, but I believe prices are higher than other places and here is why. There are typically at least 1 or 2 available at any given time in close proximity. I live on the Main Line area of Philly and people drive high end cars. We even have a McClaren dealer a few miles away. However, the folks around here trade their SL's back to dealers and can't be bothered selling privately. At one point the Maserati dealer had two R129's at the same time. So not much if any private sellers, they just don't want the hassle. Having said that, the last one I was interested in was '99 White over tan with 76K one owner in very nice shape. They Mini deal had replaced a headlight assembly and valve cover gaskets and some other work they documented at $1700 and it went for $10K after being offered for $12K for at least two month very recently. This current one will not last I feel due to the very low mileage and good provenance - single family owners - father and then son. They are asking a strong premium for the low miles. I am going to apply of Hagerty insurance this weekend and then make a decision next week on this particular one.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:52 AM
BenzWorld Member

Forgot to add this to the last thread, just an observation. Don't want to ruffle any feathers here but over the past 3 years, but when I first registered on this forum and started looking for an R129, it strikes me that the folks who posted back tend towards undervaluing them. In other words, almost everyone here has bought an R129 used at some point because they just loved these cars and had to have one (or two, or three maybe) yet when I have posted about buying one and asked about values, the replies almost always come saying that I would be paying too much for the particular car, the prices or soft, you should be able to find a good one for a lot less, etc.

Why is that to do you think? Shouldn't you guys be saying - hey these cars are worth more...
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 08:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffob5 View Post
Forgot to add this to the last thread, just an observation. Don't want to ruffle any feathers here but over the past 3 years, but when I first registered on this forum and started looking for an R129, it strikes me that the folks who posted back tend towards undervaluing them. In other words, almost everyone here has bought an R129 used at some point because they just loved these cars and had to have one (or two, or three maybe) yet when I have posted about buying one and asked about values, the replies almost always come saying that I would be paying too much for the particular car, the prices or soft, you should be able to find a good one for a lot less, etc.

Why is that to do you think? Shouldn't you guys be saying - hey these cars are worth more...
Unfortunately the market is what it is. A lot of R129 owners are upside down on their cars, mainly because (and I'm making assumptions here) that they paid what they felt was a fair price for the car. That being said, the retail market for R129s has been soft for some time - just look in eBay listings, for example. Better yet, if you look at prices around your immediate area on venues such as Craigslist, you'll see this as well.

There are a lot of these cars on the road, most people don't consider them terribly distinctive like most MBs of their vintage, and detractors often compare them with far more plebeian cars, like Mustangs.

Wander around in the R129 forum and you'll see what I mean.

I bought my R129 a little over a year ago for $5,000. It's a 1997 with 73k on the clock at the time. It needed top cylinders badly, but was otherwise in good condition, save the corroded stock chromed wheels on it. After I got it into 100% condition a few months ago I put it on Craigslist locally for $7k just for fun.

The extent of the responses I got were lowballers offering me less than what I paid for it. I expected a few, as that's the nature of Craigslist, but it was a regular theme of the potential buyers, or so it seemed.

If you have one of the special editions it's got more value, but the regular models have been soft price-wise for some time.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in