Selling my 96 SL320 (Atlanta) AMG 3 Piece Wheels, AMG Exhaust - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Selling my 96 SL320 (Atlanta) AMG 3 Piece Wheels, AMG Exhaust

Link to my Craiglist ad:

1996 Mercedes R129 SL320 For Sale - Private Owner

Will also post on eBay starting Monday 9/22.

For sale text:

1996 Mercedes-Benz R129 SL320 Roadster

For sale is our 2-owner 1996 SL320 with approx. 138,500 miles, an average of 7,700 miles/years. We have owned this car since Feb 2004, just over 10 years. We purchased the SL from the original owner in Arizona - this car has been in the Southwest and Southeast its entire life. We bought the car with 88,000 miles on it and have put 50,000 miles on it in 10+ years. I have maintenance records and receipts from the original owner and myself in a 3-ring binder. I am a Mercedes fanatic - all I own are Mercedes cars. I do most of the work myself to keep my cars in top condition both cosmetically and mechanically. I only use Mercedes OEM parts. Fluids are changed regularly - oil is Mobil 1 0W-40 and changed every 5,000 miles or so. This is my wife's daily driver. The car is ALWAYS garaged - at home or in the parking garage of my wife's office. I can count on 1 hand the number of times the car has been outside overnight.

The exterior paint is in excellent condition. You will not be disappointed with the quality of the paint finish. The interior is very well maintained. I have replaced some interior parts with NOS parts I acquired over the years to keep the car in new cosmetic condition, such as the entire burl wood center console, the flip up center armrest, the map pocket on the driver side door, speaker grill covers. Carpets are in overall very nice condition. The convertible top was replaced withe a GAHH top (OEM supplier to Mercedes) a few years ago and still is in excellent condition - the rear plastic windows are crystal clear. I also replaced the convertible top headliner, which is in new condition. Steering wheel is real burl wood/leather as is the matching burl wood/leather shift knob. Dash is excellent. Still has the original stereo head unit, original Bose amp/speaker system and trunk mounted CD changer that works very well. Car comes with the original wind screen (although the screen is getting old and has 3-4 small holes in the screen). Winning bidder will also get my spare brand new set of grey OEM floor mats still in the wrapper.

Mechanicals - I maintain my Mercedes to high mechanical standards. If you are interested in an SL with the 3.2L M104 engine, be aware that the lone weak item is the head gasket and front timing chain cover gasket - they are a guaranteed leak item until replaced with improved gaskets. This work was done a few years back on our SL. Front and rear suspensions have been well maintained with new parts as they wear, including the front shock strut bearings and lower control arms/ball joints. Car has Bilstein HD shocks all around. Brakes are in excellent new condition (rotors and pads). Transmission was rebuilt 3 years ago (15,000 miles) from normal wear and works very well. As mentioned above, I have receipts for the majority of parts purchased.

The car sports extremely rare and desirable AMG OZ Racing 3-piece modular wheels. Staggered wheels - 8.5 x 17 fronts and 10 x 17 rears with amazing deep dish/lips. I bought these wheels a few years ago and they are very special. Plus, there are NO CRACKS in the lug bolt holes. These wheels sell for $2,000 - $2,500 a set (with no cracks) all day long and are nearly impossible to find. Tires are Michelin Sport A/S and will need to be replaced in the next year (about 25% remaining fronts and 35% rears). Original spare wheel/tire in the trunk. I also sourced an extremely rare and original AMG exhaust from Japan. This is an original AMG unit specific to the R129 chassis. This exhaust is a two-in/two-out pipe design. My original SL320 exhaust was a single inlet pipe. To avoid a cludgy weld-up job, I sourced a new-take off center resonator exhuast from an SL600 (that has a full dual exhaust) so the AMG exhaust would be direct bolt-up. I have never seen another AMG exhaust in the US on an R129.

As mentioned above, the convertible top/headliner were replaced and installed by Bud's Benz (high-end shop outside Atlanta). If you are unfamiliar with the R129, a very well known maintenance issue are the 12 hydraulic cylinders that operate the soft top opening/closing and roll-bar extension and are a guaranteed eventual failure. The seals around each of the small hydraulic shafts fail and fluid leaks out. I personally replaced all 12 cylinders with rebuilt cylinders from Top Hydraulics. Top Hydraulics uses vastly improved seal materials that will last substantially longer than the MB original seals. At the dealer, replacement of all 12 cylinders is a $5,500 service. If you are in the market for an R129 SL, be sure to inquire about the soft top cylinders!

This SL comes with the original removable hard top - don't let anyone tell you that the hard tops were "optional" - that is a lie! I also replaced the headliner of the hard top with an OEM fresh headliner. The hard top comes with the cover and stand. The hard top is aluminum and doesn't weigh very much but does require two people to put on/take off.

The car was in a slight front-end shunt that damaged the front bumper cover, grill, MB star and bent the front of the hood. I insisted on brand new parts (not used parts and no repaired parts) - new front bumper cover, new grill, new star, new hood and hood pad. There was absolutely zero mechanical damage - purely cosmetic. You cannot tell the hood paint is not factory original to the rest of the car. I also had the rear bumper cover refinished at the same time "while it was there". This all happened about 3 years ago. So, the hood is not original but it is a new OEM Mercedes hood.

Known issues - the top of the driver door panel shows some elbow wear, the coolant temperature gauge wigs out and pegs - this is a gauge issue because you can thump the cluster and the needle returns to normal reading, the volume knob on the head unit is slow to respond to increasing volume (a known issue with this head unit), the windscreen has 3-4 small holes in it from wear, driver left seat bolster has slight wear (no hole - just grey color wear).

The SL was an $80,000 car in 1996. You may find some that are lower mileage, but you will not find a better maintained and cosmetically excellent SL. The very rare paint color coupled with the rare AMG wheels and AMG exhaust make this car very unique. This car looks and drives like new!

Shipping and taxes/registration is the borne by the Buyer. Due to the car's age and me not being a dealer, the car is sold As-Is. I will prepare a Bill of Sale. If you want to inspect the car, please send me a message via eBay and we will arrange a viewing. If you want an independent inspection by a shop, send me a message and we will arrange. I will be out of town Sept 21-26. My wife can show the car with advance notice.

Ask any questions in advance. Please do not bid if you are not serious! If you need additional pics or information, please ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	063.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1132433   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1132441   Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1132449   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1132457   Click image for larger version

Name:	057.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1132473  

Al Lydon
Atlanta, GA

1984 W126 500SEL Fully Documented AMG -5.4L, Sebring exhaust, full suspension, 2.82 LSD, 8"/9" wheels, spoilers/skirts, Recaros, door wood, Clarion rack stereo, speedometer. Anthracite Grey 172, Black Interior
1990 560SEC AMG - 6.0L, Sebring, suspension, 2.65 diff. Arctic White/Blue

1994 E500, Polar White/Grey
1990 560SEC, Black Pearl/Black (Japan)
1991 560SEC, Black/Palomino
1961 W111 220SEb Coupe
1987 W126 560SEC
1995 W124 E420
1996 R129 SL320

Last edited by alydon; 09-21-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Date registered: Jun 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Nice car, GLWS.

Do you really live near Candler park? I lived in the City of Decatur for many years.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: