LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1985 300D Turbo Diesel Looking for a Good Home

Howdy, folks! I want to get my 1985 300D into a good home. The car served me faithfully when I needed it most, and I have a lot of dear memories around it.

Iíll sell it for peanuts to the person who is willing to pay for the transport -- it no longer runs -- and who will consider reviving this once impressive ride. It would make me happy to see it on the road again.

Here is a short description of the state of the car. If anybody is interested, Iíll be glad to post/send photographs of the car taken one year ago -- the last time I was in New York. Also included is a little background on the reason I am selling it:

Four years ago I parked my 300D, which I named Alba, in the driveway of my fatherís home in Rockland County, New York. I moved to North Carolina, where I currently live. Last October my father died. Now I must move all of my belongings out of his house, and the car must go. I cannot afford to ship it to North Carolina and to rebuild it.

When I parked Alba in the summer of 2010, she ran wonderfully. The engine had about 170,000 miles on it. Only a little rust on the body. The AC did not work. I never tried to fix it. The power window in the left rear of the car did not work. There was a very slow leak in an oil pan, or the oil pan gasket, which I never bothered to fix -- but only because of the cost. It needed a new exhaust system and probably stabilizer arms in the front. I canít think of anything else off the top of my head. I maintained Alba with great fidelity, up to all I could afford, and I have all the maintenance records since I got her in, I believe, 2006.

After four years in the elements, in total neglect, the car needs a lot of work. New tires, brakes, new battery, et cetera.

Iíll be at my fatherís house in mid-September. Probably on September 10 & 11, and again on September 16 & 17. I am fairly indifferent to getting money for it. I want most of all to give it to a person who will care about the car.

Thanks for reading. Please let me know if you all want or need more information.

Bright moments,

Charles
[/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1984 Mercedes 300CD
Hi there. How is the interior/seats? I have been looking for a nice sedan. Currently in a coupe. Photos? bradleydonze@gmail.com. Thanks
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Hi, friend. Thanks for the inquiry.

When I parked the car in 2010, the interior was in very good condition. No tears, rips, or stains.

I have not seen the car in one year. At that time the interior was holding steady, although I was beginning to worry about the likelihood of future damage, especially regarding the toll from humidity, et cetera.

I'll send along some pictures later tonight -- but bear in mind that the pictures were taken one year ago.

Thanks again!

Charles
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

I will be intrested to look at the car. I had the 1982. Send me some pictures at waw246@aol.com.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
To all with even a passing interest, here are several pictures of the car, taken almost exactly one year ago. Since I have not returned to NY, I cannot vouch for the current state of the car. (I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures of the engine. At the time I did not intend to sell the car, and took the pictures only for myself.)

By the way, I converted the car to run on WVO, and in one of the pictures you will see on the dashboard two metal switches above the air conditioning/vent controls. One switch regulates the flow between diesel and WVO, and the other switch turns on/off the heating coils around the WVO filter and lines.

I have no idea of the monetary value of the car, and I am more interested in getting it to a person who is excited to get her roadworthy again. But if it will help to make things more clear, I reckon it must be worth at least a few hundred dollars, and if so, I am willing to accept some such amount. It will help to defray the cost of moving my belongings from my past out of my father's house.

Thanks again for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1102586   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1102594   Click image for larger version

Name:	3a.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1102602   Click image for larger version

Name:	4a.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1102610   Click image for larger version

Name:	5a.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1102618  

Name:	6a.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1102626   Click image for larger version

Name:	7a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1102634   Click image for larger version

Name:	8a.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1102642   Click image for larger version

Name:	9a.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1102650   Click image for larger version

Name:	10a.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1102658  

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
And one more!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1102666  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Oh christ....its been sitting a year with wvo....

Though on the flip, nice color combo...haven't see that one before...

Be your own person...
DON'T....
Drink the Kool-Aid....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1991 350SDL, 1998 Audi A8, other projects
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I might be interested. It would be a while before I could really get into it, but would be interested in getting it roadworthy.

Could you take some pictures of the underside? Also, how much do you want to ship to the DC area? Would you be driving the car on a trip permit, or have to get a carrier?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
To bitshoptyler:

Hi, friend. Sorry for the late reply. I have relied on the forum to notify me of new posts, but I have assumed incorrectly.

The car is still available. I have no intention of transporting it anywhere. I want somebody who would enjoy and maybe even love to restore the car to pay for the transport out of my father's driveway.

I can try to get a picture of the undercarriage upon my arrival in NY, but by that time I'll probably feel compelled to donate the car to a non-profit or to the junkyard.

Thanks for the interest, and again, I apologize for the late reply. I did not realize that anybody had posted here.

-- Charles
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Hi, All,

I have had no definite responses to my 1985 300D. This is the only place I have posted a notice for it, because I was hoping to let it go to an MB fan who is looking for a fun restoration project.

In case there is any last or lingering interest, I am writing to let you know that I am about to post ads on Craigslist and elsewhere, and lacking any response from those sites, within a few days I'll arrange to have it junked. Unfortunately I am pressed for time, and must have the car out of my father's driveway by Wednesday, 17 September.

Thanks again for letting me post here. I do appreciate it.

Bright moments,

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in