FS: Fantastic 1987 560SEL all original paint and body, full serviced, 1-owner, 50K mi - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: Fantastic 1987 560SEL all original paint and body, full serviced, 1-owner, 50K mi

Hi everyone.

When I first got bitten by the car bug AND had some money to indulge the habit, I was wildly into the W126 chassis Mercedes (and still am). I have bought, owned, and sold over 175 W126 cars over the years, including a 560SEC widebody, a factory armored stretch 560SEL, a 560SEC 6.0 SOHC car, a 560SEL 6.0 DOHC "Hammer" car, and ones with as low as 9000 original miles.

I know these cars very well. I can spend 15 minutes and 5 miles in one and make a list two pages long of everything it needs.

These days, though, fantastic examples are hard to find, as most are beaters and/or neglected and selling on craigslist for $3000. Or the opposite, like a pristine 20K mile car that someone wants to sell for $45,000. Anyhow, my car is a great example at a fair price.

It is a 1987 560SEL, in 040 black over black leather interior, with only 50,800 original miles. It has had ONE owner since new, that lived in Long Island and passed away at age 76 a couple of years ago. His wife finally decided to sell the car.

ALL the body panels, paint, bumpers, glass, interior wood/leather/door panels/chrome/etc are ORIGINAL as delivered from the factory. All body panels and bumpers have their VIN# stickers from MB. The carfax is clean and shows one owner and a perfect mileage progression over the 27 years this car has been in service.

All the gotta-haves in a time-capsule W126 car are present and accounted for:

- Strong, smooth, quiet engine
- Bright orange unfaded instrument cluster markings
- Firm supportive seats front and back, seatback netting not loose
- Excellent original leather, carpets, and headliner
- Deep rich unfaded wood trim with very few stress cracks
- Clear chrome trim with no pitting
- Original and unused spare tire (updated due to age), wheel, and jack, with toolkit still in the bag
- All books, with dealer service stamps in the maintenance booklet
- Original Becker stereo system in proper operating condition
- Rock-steady 600RPM idle in drive, 650RPM in park
- Bright instrument cluster, control button, and interior lighting, has not dimmed over time
- Incredibly smooth ride on the road with no worn bushings, rattling, clunking, or squeaking
- Buttery smooth shifts
- Rear SLS suspension working properly

I could go on, but you get the idea. The exterior finish is fantastic and original. The interior is even better. Even the B-pillar seatbelt surround leather is in good shape, no dash cracks, etc etc.

The car drives perfectly - smooth, powerful, and quiet. All the rubber seals, glass, and trim are excellent. All electrics are not just in 100% functioning condition, but are operating as intended by Mercedes....meaning the windows go up and down quickly, the sunroof seals water and airtight when it closes, the SLS actually levels, etc.

To get it ready for sale I have done quite a bit:

- Rear brake pads and rotors
- Replace the water pump due to a slow dripping leak
- Changed all engine drive belts
- Full tune-up including cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air filter, etc.
- Changed some vacuum pods in the HVAC system to make sure the air is coming out of the correct vents as selected on the control panel
- Four wheel alignment and tire balance
- Oil and filter change
- Full wet-sand and detailing
- New hood pad
- Custom iPod/aux inputs integrated into OEM Becker stereo and hidden in factory ashtray
- A/C recharge and repair work to make sure it's blowing nice and cold
- The 'old-school' trunk mounted phone antenna, and the rest of the kit inside the cockpit and in the trunk, has been professionally removed without leaving a trace.

All told I have spent over $3500 getting the car ready for sale to the next owner. It truly needs nothing now and drives/looks fantastic.

The price for a BW member is $18,500 (it's on ebay with a $19,900 BIN price), detailed, with OEM carpeted mats, OEM footrests, two keys, service history, carfax, and books, ready to do. This is not a project or a car for someone not willing to pay good money to get a great car. It was being sold previously by another dealer before I got it, and they wanted $15K for it. I bought it, and then went completely through the car and updated maintenance, fixed the stuff they mentioned, and fixed the stuff they 'forgot' to mention. And we all know how much the 'oops, I forget to mention that' stuff can cost to repair. Just read the MB buyer's guide sticky I wrote at the top of this forum!

Car is located in eastern PA about 45 minutes north of Philadelphia, and I can arrange for low-cost rapid transport anywhere in the USA. I can provide tons of references from customers that bought W126 cars from me, or you can just go into the W126 forum and ask about me for yourself.

If interested please contact Bruce at 856-912-2600, or email me at brucem105@comcast.net.

This is as good as it gets with an original 560SEL. This car's combination of all-original cosmetics, 1-owner, excellent feel on the road, service history, and recent maintenance updating by me will be hard, if not impossible, to beat.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leftfront.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1092154   Click image for larger version

Name:	rightrear.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1092162   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1092170   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearseat.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1092178   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1092186  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1092194   Click image for larger version

Name:	spare.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1092202   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipod.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1092210   Click image for larger version

Name:	odometer.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1092218   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1092234  

benzitch and roncor like this.

Last edited by brucemendel; 08-20-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1984 280SE Euro, 1988 300SE, 2000 SL500, 2002 CLK55 AMG
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Good luck with the sale, Bruce! Car looks fantastic, if I had the money and was not in the process of moving out, I would consider this.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 01:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2014
Vehicle: 1982 300D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bump for the time capsule...what a beauty!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 02:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 2000 e320 4matic
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sweet ship Bruce. Shipping quote to 84098? Pm me.

2008 E350 4matic wagon
2000 E320 4matic wagon (sold)
2001 E430 4matic sedan (sold)
1989 300SE (sold)
1994 E420 (sold)
1988 300TE (sold)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 AM
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Very nice and drool worthy Bruce.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Always Remembered RIP
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Wow... gorgeous time capsule!

If only my fiancée wasn't looking for an AWD luxury unit --- needed for the frequent trips across the Sierras in winter --

I'd buy this unit @ the asking price, sight unseen for her right away!

Even with the shipping costs cross country I think it's a huge value for the money too.

Especially true as Bruce knose these cars inside out, as we agree, and how to hunt down and cherry pick the very best of these, and has been doing so for many years..

And moreover, they are real hard to find back on the east coast and as time goes on, near impossible I would bet.

50k on the clock for a w126 is NOTHING.

In fact, when I got my 560SEC - from a MB dealer it was an encore (certified pre owned) it had 50,166 miles on the clock. It was black with black leather too. But that was back in 1996 though and even then it took me a year to find it.
It would be MUCH harder today! I have NO doubt of it...

Now almost 199k on it and still is a beauty.

Black is the perhaps the nicest color for those sedans. Like an Ambassadors car - in fact that is just what the black ones often were, back then.

Also, the bad guys and gangsters always drove black ones like this in the movies too.

Somebody is going to get a heck of a great car for a very decent price here.

And Bruce has all the right connections to ensure a seamless shipping experience, (ask me how I know.)

<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 08-29-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: