SWAP - 1997 SL500 (R129) for an S500 (W140) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SWAP - 1997 SL500 (R129) for an S500/S600 (W140)

I have a 1997 SL500 (R129) that I bought last year. Great car and lots of fun, but I really, really miss the 1995 S500 coupe (W140) that my youngest son is now driving.

This is a feeler to see if there is anyone out there with a 1996-1998 S500/S600 sedan that might be interested in a swap +/- $$ if necessary.

A link to some random photos of the car.

Here are some details about my 1997 SL500:

The good:

79,000 miles
Red with black interior
Red hard top with new headliner and Dynamat sound deadening material installed
Electric hard top hoist and straps
Exterior and interior are in very, very good condition
Soft top is perfect, including back window
All hydraulic cylinders rebuilt by Top Hydraulics in January
Spare set of 2003 18" staggered MB wheels
All glass professionally tinted with metallized UV blocking tint (inc. hard top)
Only MB parts and fluids used for repairs/maintenance
Aluminum oiler tubes
Everything works with the exception of the headlight wipers
CA/FL car - never lived in the snow/rust belt that I can see

The bad:

The car has a rebuilt title. Previous owner bought it from the insurance company after a front end (right front) wreck and had it repaired. Digging around I can find spots that would tell me it's been repaired, but these are deep within the car and nothing that affects drivability or cosmetics. I have the history from both CarFax and the CA DMV (it was delivered at MB of Beverly Hills and lived in CA until the mid 2000s) that show the accident/damage on the records. I currently have it insured in Florida without a peep from my insurer (Allstate) as far as the fact that it's rebuilt. To have a rebuilt title issued in Florida the car has to be inspected at a state inspection station before they will issue the title. This has been done and there is a sticker to authenticate it.

The roll bar light won't go out regardless of where the roll bar is positioned. I have been through the system with a fine tooth comb and verified that all of the switches and cylinders work as expected. You and raise and lower it without a problem and it raises and lowers with the top as expected. The DAS shows a fault in the controller but I can't clear it. The last step is to send it off for a bench check and possibly rebuilding, which I would do prior to a swap/sale. I want to emphasize that the top system works flawlessly and this has no known affect on the operation.

The ugly:

The car has a stock set of wheels on it that are chromed. Yuck. This was a common practice at the dealers in the mid to late 90s, unfortunately. The chrome is pitting in the openings between the spokes. Not terribly noticeable, but part of the motivation for my getting the set of wheels from a 2003 SL that are 18" in diameter and staggered in width (small pic below.) I'm driving the chrome wheels because the tires are still in good shape with lots of tread. I planned on wearing them out before putting the later wheels on the car.

Street values for private sales for this car are running around $8k-$10k with the mileage and condition. I see the rebuilt title as a big ding, but in all honesty, the car is very good and I would certainly encourage a PPI to confirm that.

I'm a 25+ year MB person and a former NIASE certified mechanic who used to work on high line cars, so you can be sure this car along with all of my other cars is well cared for.

So, if you have a comparable S500 or S600 W140 sedan that's about the same age and condition you might be interested in trading, drop me a private message for more details.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1997 SL500.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1065273   Click image for larger version

Name:	00c0c_9u2ryDdc4Pd_600x450.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1065289  

Last edited by LWB250; 08-02-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added link to photos
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just added 20+ new photos with lots of exterior shots and plenty of details, such as the warning triangle in the trunk and the car cover, too!

1997 R129

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: