BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: SL500 Year 1994
Location: Southern California
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SL500 from 1994 for sale
Anyone have an interest in my 1994 Mercedes SL500? I want to find a home for it with someone who is a handy mechanic and can take care of it. Let me list the pros and cons:
1. It has a rare lovely emerald green paint
2. I've spent about $2000 on chrome AMG Style rims, 18" with low profile tires. These look great.
3. It has served me well and an amazing car, it's still fast and runs.
4. I've maintained it and it doesn't overheat - replaced the radiator and many other parts over the years.
1. The transmission used to stick in first gear and not auto shift. We flushed the tranny fluid and I hadn't had that problem in a few years. The other day, however, it stuck in first gear on a very hot afternoon. When I pulled over and went shopping for 10 minutes, I got in, drove off and the transmission was working fine again. I've driven it several times since then without incident.
2. It's going to need some transmission work eventually. Another flush of trans fluid could forestall that work.
3. The A/C sometimes does not blow, on hot days. Cool air will come out slowly, but the fan won't kick on at first. Then, within 15 minutes, the fan comes on and the A/C is very cool. Intermittent thing.
4. The cluster for the meters has some things not working, like the mileage odometer does not tumble anymore, the oil pressure gauge does not work, but other gauges do work, like Temp, gas level, speedomoter, RPM, gas warning all work.
5. On the cluster, there are 3 warning lights stuck on: for the anti lock brakes and for some light bulb that may have a short.
6. It has a lot of little interior things that have broken, like the lids to glove boxes on the doors, the center glove box sticks shut, some A/C louvres have broken, little plastic moldings... small stuff.
7. Interior: The upholstery is worn out, interior could use some detailing.
8. The driver side window is stuck.
So there are these wear and tear issues that could be taken care of with the right savvy Mercedes enthusiast.
Send me a note - let me know what you think.