1993 Mercedes 400SEL - $2,850. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 88 Mercedes 300SEL/15 Hyundai Sonata/91 Cadillac DeVille/72 Caprice Estate/73 Pontiac Grand Ville
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1993 Mercedes 400SEL - $2,800.

1993 Mercedes 400SEL (long wheelbase W140 chassis, with the 4.2L V8): 232K highway miles - regular oil changes.

Positives: Car runs and drives great, does not leave and drips under it, all service records since purchased in 1992 (even when taken to the dealer for warranty work), a/c evaporator, heater core, condenser, blower motor, engine wiring harness have ALL been replaced over the past 3 years, as well as a new air pump. No rust, never wrecked, no floods, original paint, never smoked in, very nice interior (front seats have some wear as expected), interior still has that new Mercedes smell, no dash cracks, no broken windows, all electric windows work, sunroof works (some have new regulators, etc) and car is "loaded" as expected. Michelin Harmony tires have good tread. Super comfortable ride, roomy and safe as you may imagine.

Negatives: CEL light is on (but car runs fine - had codes read - nothing that I think is a major deal), A/C was working perfectly, but recently stopped working (I think it is a compressor issue), sometimes the radio volume will go up on its own. A while back, the left turn signal would not work, I thought it was a underhood combination relay, I changed it and was still a problem, but oddly it has not been a problem for weeks, so not sure what is was. I thought maybe the relay in column was bad, but as long as it is working, I am not too concerned. Trunk latch feels loose and needs adjusted, but I cannot figure it out. Paint is not perfect and it has some dings/scratches.

I am sure I could park the car locally on a busy street and it would sell pretty fast, but I need the car until I get another one and cannot leave it setting and I would like to see it go to a Mercedes enthusiast, someone that knows and appreciates the cars.

Car located in NE Tennessee and has always been a southern car, so it has seen very little if any road salts.

Any questions, please feel free to PM me, I will answer to the best of my knowledge and even give you my cell phone # if you prefer to speak by phone. I am willing to meet a transport company if you want to have it transported to your area.

Thanks.

(If you want to know why I am selling this car since it is so "great", PM me and I will be glad to tell you the story).

Last edited by 86560sel; 07-22-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: 88 Mercedes 300SEL/15 Hyundai Sonata/91 Cadillac DeVille/72 Caprice Estate/73 Pontiac Grand Ville
(Thread Starter)
Forgot to add the pics... (someone asked about the transmission - it is perfect, shifts flawlessly through all gears and instantly goes into drive and reverse when placed in those gears - no hesitation going into gear, etc)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
More pics...

Last edited by 86560sel; 07-15-2014 at 08:23 PM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
I have this car on another site and had several request for more interior pics, so thought I would post here as well since I had them... those spots on the wood trim are not blemishes - they are reflections.

Never smoked in!!!! All I see is a dead bug that must have got in there and died.

Driver seat has the most wear and even it isn't bad at all IMO - not for a 1993.

TONS AND TONS OF SERVICE RECORDS SINCE NEW - DATING BACK TO 1992 - YOU CANNOT EVEN SEE 1/2 OF THEM, I COULD NOT SPREAD THEM ALL OUT. THIS CAR WAS NOT SERVICED AT SOME SHADE TREE MECHANIC EITHER - ALL OF THESE ARE EITHER FROM THE MERCEDES DEALER OR AN INDEPENDENT SHOP SPECIALIZING IN MERCEDES VEHICLES.

Last edited by 86560sel; 07-19-2014 at 08:31 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
I have found and purchased another car that I have been looking for to better suit my needs. I need the driveway space and this one must go.

Make reasonable offer (PM me) on this perfect running, 100% rust free, extremely clean smoke free interior, extremely well maintained S-Class. This car is still being driven daily (60 miles per day) and will be for the rest of the week.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Reduced to $2695 FIRM

Despite already being priced $2000 under low retail, I have reduced to $2695. FIRM!

If not worth this, I will just squeeze it in somewhere as an extra car. Two local interested parties coming to look at the car Tuesday, but thought I would offer here one last time.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 06:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86560sel View Post
Despite already being priced $2000 under low retail, I have reduced to $2695. FIRM!

If not worth this, I will just squeeze it in somewhere as an extra car. Two local interested parties coming to look at the car Tuesday, but thought I would offer here one last time.
I have to ask what you are using as a reference for the retail price you state for this car. if you factor the mileage in, references such as Kelley and Edmunds have "Very Good" condition cars such as this in the $2500-$2100 range. While the cosmetics of the car do appear to be very good, reading the last eight months of your posts regarding the issues you've had with it I'm not sure I would consider it "Very Good". However, this is purely subjective on my part.

I'm confused, as nothing I can find shows a $4695 retail value on the car described. I want to be sure I'm using the right reference for used car pricing....

In the interest of full disclosure, I was interested in this car previously and even made an offer to the seller with a price based on these values and the condition of the vehicle, which they turned down, as was their choice. As I search for a W140 sedan, I want to be sure I'm using the correct references for used W140 prices, as none I have seen match up with the values stated by the seller.

Good luck with the sale,

Dan
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
I have to ask what you are using as a reference for the retail price you state for this car. if you factor the mileage in, references such as Kelley and Edmunds have "Very Good" condition cars such as this in the $2500-$2100 range. While the cosmetics of the car do appear to be very good, reading the last eight months of your posts regarding the issues you've had with it I'm not sure I would consider it "Very Good". However, this is purely subjective on my part.

I'm confused, as nothing I can find shows a $4695 retail value on the car described. I want to be sure I'm using the right reference for used car pricing....

In the interest of full disclosure, I was interested in this car previously and even made an offer to the seller with a price based on these values and the condition of the vehicle, which they turned down, as was their choice. As I search for a W140 sedan, I want to be sure I'm using the correct references for used W140 prices, as none I have seen match up with the values stated by the seller.

Good luck with the sale,

Dan
Yes, I was made an offer on here for $2000, but I don't think I could sell the interior for $2000. My goodness, the AC evaporator repair alone was $3300 two years ago. For those that can buy a car like this for $1500-2000 in their area, I would recommend they look locally for one.

I am using NADA classic car value (see photo below). Which is a little steep. NADA only goes back to 1994, then 1993 and back is listed as a classic car and only shows retail value, which we all know is higher, but still, LOW retail is showing $4850. Last year it was in the regular car category and it was listed with regular pricing. Good condition private party value was around $3300. In 2012 when I bought the car, it was showing $3600. There is no way the car could have went down in price that much, so I am guessing that PPV would still be around $3000, which is what I feel the car is worth. I know these cars sell cheaper in other places, more in others, but I don't want to give it away. I am sure it will eventually sell here locally for my asking price. It may not be to a MB "fan" which is who I would like to see get the car, which has been the only reason I have posted it here. There was one gentleman who knows MB that was quite interested, but the funds fell through and he had to pass. I have had several local inquiries, two coming to look at it this week. I thought I would offer it here once more.

KBB will only go back to 1994. Edmunds is a joke. I would love to buy a car at their prices they list. Not happening around here. $1395? Yeah right. You cant buy a 1/2 of a Chevette here for that.

Despite what many are thinking, I believe that $2695 is very fair for a nice running rust free S-Class with all of the service records. If not, I will keep it - I am already losing $800 on it at that price. Someone will get a heck of a deal. I am going to keep in mind that if I ever want another to hit the big cities and get one for $1500. The man I bought this from wanted $4000, then he said he would take $3300, after paying $3300 7 months before to replace the evaporator, heater core, blower motor and condenser and $1500 2 years before that for the engine harness. I must have priced too low... when I advertise locally, my ad gets flagged. I guess they think it is too cheap for this car.

FWIW, there is a rough local S320 for sale for around $2K. Needs paint, etc - may even an A/C evaporator. That may be a deal.

Not really wanting to debate on the price. I know what I paid for the car, what I have invested and what I have to get for it. Again, posting here for those where it may be a deal. If not, maybe they should look locally where they sell cheaper. Thanks for the good luck selling wish.

Last edited by 86560sel; 07-27-2014 at 09:12 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Edmunds values a 1999 S420 at $2000 and trade-in at $1300. Trade-in value for a clean 1990 190E... $250? Something wrong there. Yeah, I would love to buy vehicles at Edmunds value prices... I would like to know where they get their info from.

This is what $2500 gets you around here...

http://images.craigslist.org/00y0y_j...Xe_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00b0b_e...os_600x450.jpg

Last edited by 86560sel; 07-28-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in