BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 1996 Mercedes S500 Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Save my W140 From the Scrap Yard

Thanks for reading.

I am literally dumping my 1996 Black 5500 Sedan (VIN: WDBGA51EXTA310043) because I just cannot justify putting the amount of money into it that it would need to restore it to anything close to it's former glory. I'm headed out of the country by late August and need to dump him (our family calls him "Franz"). I quite literally am prepared to drive down to the local salvage yard and turn over the title for scrap. The car is located between Western Wyoming, USA and Portland, Oregon, USA depending on the day, as I commute between the two locations regularly.

I'm offering my car to anyone who might want to take him on as a project car, or use him for parts. Here's what I know about him after having owned him since 2011.

1) I bought him from Eddie Alberini's son in April of 2011... I want to say he had about 120,000 miles on him at that point. He's up to 160,000-ish now.
2) As an east coast car (originally bought in Florida) he's got some pretty significant rust issues. Undercarriage frame and suspension parts are rusty, multiple spots on wheel wells and a couple of doors with rust damage.
3) Front suspension is pretty much shot and won't hold an alignment anymore. At a minimum he needs right tie rod, inner tie rod and right idler arm replaced. That idler arm is a big ticket part... about $600 just for the part. I'm sure much more is needed, like a set of shocks and probably the left side suspension parts in short order as well. Who knows about the rear... but I wouldn't be surprised if they need replacing soon as well.
4) The blower motor for the climate control is going out, it appears. I've never had decent air flow through the registers since I bought him in 2011. Eddie didn't know what the issue was and I thought maybe a simple cabin air filter change would do it... but alas, no. I'm afraid this is a really big ticket item... probably north of $2000 to pull the dash, etc.
5) Door panel acoutrements are loose and/or coming off. This is probably an easy fix with some of those new little plastic attachment dealies.
6) Oil sensor needs replaced. It's in the pan, so that's pretty pricey unless you're mechanically inclined and can do it yourself.
7) No major scheduled maintenance services have been performed. I've only ever gotten oil changes. Who knows what kind of stuff would be discovered during a major service.
8) Alignment is horrible and has ruined the tires. Rears are completely bald... I'm talking pure racing slicks. Fronts are used with some decent tread... don't even think about putting new tires on him until the suspension is dealt with.
9) I had the rear end completely replaced in 2011. When I bought him from Eddie we all knew there was a knock in the rear end. We thought it was a CV joint, but one night the rear diff blew up... oops... So, Eddie hooked me up with a new (used) rear end... the whole shootin' match... for free and I had an indy mechanic do the installation.
10) Recently did rear brake job and replaced rotors/pads. Calipers need to be replaced.
11) CARFAX will show this vehicle was FLOODED back in roughly 2002 timeframe. He had a branded title up until just 2013 when I registered and titled him in Wyoming. For some reason they didn't catch the flooded title and so he has a "clean" title... but CARFAX proves otherwise. He runs fine and I can detect nothing related to the flood damage... which I have no idea what the extent of the damage might have been. I'm all about full disclosure here... no tricks, no deception.

All in all, with my lack of tools, time and overall mechanical know-how around a foreign vehicle, this S500 is essentially a junker to me. It's my dream car... I've always wanted a Mercedes since high school and I've wanted a W140 since the days they were prevalent in so many Hollywood movies. This particular one is just beyond my ability to handle... so... off he needs to go and someday in the future I'll buy one outright that is in better overall condition.

I have no offering price. I think he's worth at least $2000 to someone for parts... and I know I can get about $500 for him from the salvage yard... so... MAKE ME AN OFFER PLEASE!!! I'll entertain anything reasonable.

I spend a great deal of time in the Portland, OR area as I have a client there. I also live in waaay western Wyoming... so I would think that anyone within one state of either Wyoming, Idaho or Oregon (so, Montana, Colorado, Northern Nevada, etc.) would be a good potential buyer location... but if you're somewhere else and know how to or are willing to handle the transportation logistics, I'd be willing to entertain selling to anyone, anywhere.

Thanks again for reading.

C: (307) 880-1588

Last edited by rubondfan2; 06-09-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: To improve my location information given the international nature of the forum.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: