1989 560SEL / 70k miles / Midnight Blue & Palomino - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 2014 G63, 2015 RX350, 2012 Harley Vrod,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Would you consider a trade for a 2005 Dodge Dakota 3.7 V6 crew cab. All power with 75k miles. Clean two owner pick up truck.
Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1984-2005 MB's
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Always been a great example....

Though why haven't you mentioned the repair of delam/corrosion on the rear right window corner/channel?

Last edited by bondavi; 08-09-2014 at 07:36 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: w201,w124,w126
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondavi View Post
Though why haven't you mentioned the repair of delam/corrosion on the rear right window corner/channel?
I thought I did?

For anyone out of the loop, a few years back the defroster element on the rear windscreen started turning milky white and it stopped working. I also started noticing corrosion on the paint near the window channel on the passenger side lower corner. Apparently a common w126 issue. So I took it into Star Motors on Hunt Club and they replaced the rear screen with genuine Mercedes glass imported from Germany (yes, that was as stupidly expensive as you might guess) and they cleaned up the window channel. Looks mint now.

Here is a photo (the broken speaker covers have been replaced);
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008_s.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1076225  

Last edited by V12StealthHunter; 08-10-2014 at 01:37 AM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzofour30 View Post
Would you consider a trade for a 2005 Dodge Dakota 3.7 V6 crew cab. All power with 75k miles. Clean two owner pick up truck.
Thank You
No. But I might consider a 1964 Aston Martin DB5 Vantage, any condition.
Luke Colorado likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: M120, M119
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Is the car still for sale?

Many thanks.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 1987 300SDL
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V12StealthHunter View Post
Trying to sell my garage queen. U.S. spec car (originally from Florida). Stacks of service history. Always genuine Mercedes parts. Car is in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. About an hour North of Ogdensburg, NY.

1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SEL | cars & trucks | Ottawa | Kijiji

Just thought I'd write out some of the recent service (within the last 5k miles).

- New HVAC blower motor and monovalve
- New tires (and rims were professionally refurbished)
- New brake discs and pads all round
- New sway bar links
- New SLS high pressure lines and fluid flushed
- New steering tie rods (inner and outer on both sides)
- New rear windscreen imported from Germany (ouch that was expensive! replaced due to de-lamination of defroster element)
- New engine mounts
- New timing chain, tensioner and guide rails
- New camshaft oiler tube clips
- New idle control valve
- New coolant hoses everywhere
- New vacuum lines and check valves
- New plenum gaskets (pretty much anything made of rubber in the engine bay has been replaced)
- New odometer gears
- New hood insulation
- New floor mats

Oh, how much was the rear window? Just incase I want to buy a spare for the future. I like having spares of spares of spares of spares...
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Sorry for not responding earlier. So many things in life have changed since I last posted. But the short version is yes, the car is still available for sale. But a few things have changed. The car is now in San Jose, California and has California plates and obviously a clean Californian title. So that means its now just a state-to-state transfer for anyone in the U.S.

Also ALL the wood (yes, every single piece) in the car is at Madera concepts now getting restored.

My plan was to turn it into a proper 100 point Concours car and then advertise it for sale again. But I'm happy to let it go in its current state as well. The wood will take a couple of weeks to get restored, but once I have it installed in the car, I'll let it go for U.S $12,000. I get depressed thinking about how much more I've spent on this car and how little I've used it (maybe 500 miles in the last 2 years?) so that number isn't negotiable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leidenschaft View Post
Oh, how much was the rear window? Just incase I want to buy a spare for the future. I like having spares of spares of spares of spares...
I'll have to look at my records but off the top of my head, I think with installation it was over $2500.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:13 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12StealthHunter View Post
Sorry for not responding earlier. So many things in life have changed since I last posted. But the short version is yes, the car is still available for sale. But a few things have changed. The car is now in San Jose, California and has California plates and obviously a clean Californian title. So that means its now just a state-to-state transfer for anyone in the U.S.

Also ALL the wood (yes, every single piece) in the car is at Madera concepts now getting restored.

My plan was to turn it into a proper 100 point Concours car and then advertise it for sale again. But I'm happy to let it go in its current state as well. The wood will take a couple of weeks to get restored, but once I have it installed in the car, I'll let it go for U.S $12,000. I get depressed thinking about how much more I've spent on this car and how little I've used it (maybe 500 miles in the last 2 years?) so that number isn't negotiable.

I'll have to look at my records but off the top of my head, I think with installation it was over $2500.
Hmm. Very expensive. I could get all new leathers, rebuild the engine and transmission for 2500. Well atleast you are enjoying her and that's what matters. But why sell the car? I would keep that beautiful car.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Mercedes
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leidenschaft View Post
Hmm. Very expensive. I could get all new leathers, rebuild the engine and transmission for 2500. Well atleast you are enjoying her and that's what matters. But why sell the car? I would keep that beautiful car.

Rebuild the engine for $2500? AND the transmission, AND new leather??? Those diesel fumes must be strong
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 12:47 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Grillz View Post
Rebuild the engine for $2500? AND the transmission, AND new leather??? Those diesel fumes must be strong
lol I love this Well maybe not 2500 exactly, but pretty close. Depends on how bad the engine and transmission are. I would rebuild transmissions usually charge about 400-800 to remove, overhaul, and install. However, the overhaul was just the seal kit.

The transmissions I rebuilt, Chryser TorqueFlites, never had any major problems. The seals would just fail after so many years. They did have one defect, but the seal kits included the proper part to fix the defect. For the TF's the overhaul kits cost me about $65. For our MB 722 the overhaul kits vary between 125-370 depending on brand.

Even a semi-complete rebuild, friction plates, friction discs, bushings, seal kits, replacement planetary gears... Cost about 850, and that included a new bell housing.

Well new leathers cost 1500 from GAT.

Rebuilding the engine, assuming rings and bearings are good, would only cost about 650-800. Timing chain, gaskets, and for diesels the injector seal washers. Otherwise yes way above 2500 strong diesel fumes :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in