FS:2005 CL65 AMG - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1985 300d
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How about replace the oil pan, put some fresh oil in it and pray the motors not damaged? Doing this would be a fraction of the cost of a engine swap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
There is a used [30k miles] motor on ebay for $20k...an 80k motor is still over $10k and the install cost on this has to be significant. The other problem is that any indy shop will not guarantee the used motor on a job like this. If the ebay seller does warranty the motor, if there is something wrong with the used motor, you are going to have to pay to take it back out...I can't see how this would ever pay. If the oil pan holed from road debris, virtually any insurance company would total the car....
dfwx likes this.

If you don't have faith you have nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2005 CL65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I believe the motor is damaged. the KBB stated around 40K for trade in minus the cost of motor damage I figure 19.9K is a fair number. I've read many forums and never hear of this v12 blowing up. Does anyone repair them or do we have to go for used? and my location is Pa.
I own an 05 CL65. Trade in value in good condition is $26K. Dealer retail is $32K. There are two on ebay claiming to be in perfect condition for $29K - and no takers.

Sorry for the bad news. If the motor is gone it likely what you have is a collection of parts if you care to disassemble it. It is sad how the values have fallen thru the floor - though that allowed me to buy mine from an Audi dealer in Georgia who had put new tires on it, it Renntech R3 upgraded and the only problem was frontal road rash as the 1-owner apparently drove down a few gravel roads and didn't have a bra on the front. I paid $28K and the dealer glad to take it having it up for sale for weeks on Auto Traders - told me they had lookers but no takers. I offered cash. They took it.

As for the motor, it isn't a question of whether it is "blown." It is a question of whether it ran oil-dry even just a couple of seconds. If so, the bearings and rings are shot. I don't even want to think of the cost and complexity of a rebuild. There are used 65 motors that come up on Ebay for around $12K-ish used. A new motor is for sale out of the Neatherlands for around $35K if I remember correctly. So if a person bought that used $12K motor and it still a good motor and the buyer managed to do the work himself (figure adding at least a $1K or more for whatevers), he'd have $33K in it after 100 hours work - when he could buy a near pristine one for $29K right now on Ebay.

Personally, I think the W215 CL65 are the ultimate GT2+2 hyper performance luxury coupe bargain. But parts and maintenance costs scare the heck out of people. These aren't working class folks cars even at super low used car prices. Another person on this forum is asking where to sell his - and he spent $19K on work on it just last year at a dealer. Such is the nature of these cars. The used parts, however, sell high for obvious reason. You have a car of very little value, but a costly collection of parts if you have the time and a year to sell it in pieces.

When I bought this CL65, the dealer offered a 3rd party major drivetrain warranty for 2 years. For that, I made the deal. Why? I even commented at the time that "if the motor blows the car is totaled."

I wish you the best with it and it is sad to see another of the 194 total W215 CL65s probably biting the dust. I wonder how many are really still on the road. I read somewhere an estimate of just over 100. Likely nearly all rare-occasions garage babies like mine is being treated now.

Last edited by dfwx; 05-13-2014 at 06:34 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 amg cl65
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have a tear... I guess you summed it up...the car is beautiful when running. maybe someone...and i'm sure rapped one around a pole and has a good engine and needs a perfect body...and soul needs this car... someone will be happy!
dfwx likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
I have a tear... I guess you summed it up...the car is beautiful when running. maybe someone...and i'm sure rapped one around a pole and has a good engine and needs a perfect body...and soul needs this car... someone will be happy!
I feel your pain and wish you the best.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcapone300 View Post
How about replace the oil pan, put some fresh oil in it and pray the motors not damaged? Doing this would be a fraction of the cost of a engine swap?
Or even just put a big pan on it, plug up the leak best possible to slow it, pour the oil in fast and start it up. Of course who knows what the pan costs, but then again in theory MAY be repairable depending on the damage.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 amg cl65
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I love the idea! See ya on Ebay!
dfwx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in