Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: '82 300TD
Location: Utica, NY
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For Sale: 1985 300TD 4-speed manual (converted)
So I did something very stupid last week: I purchased a 300TD with 360,000 miles and attempted to drive it cross-country back to Upstate New York, where I reside. I picked the car up in Grand Junction, CO., and made it to the middle of Nebraska (roughly 500 miles). The car did not exactly break down. Rather, as the temperature dropped, my headlights, radio and dashboard ceased to work, which caused me to pull-over to attempt to fix the headlights--it was at night--and the car would not start-up again. Keep in mind two (related) things: 1. I'm an idiot and 2. I am a mercedes benz enthusiast but a novice (novice being generous) when it comes to mechanical repair. When I couldn't get the car to start, I had it towed to the nearest city, which was Lincoln, Nebraska (towed roughly 200 miles, which I came to find is not cheap), where it is currently parked--the hotel where i stayed was kind enough to allow me to accomodate parking until I figured out what to do with it.
I just wanted to see if anyone on the forum is interested in purchasing ("AS IS" of course) this wagon. It would probably require a tow truck or at least a block heater to get it started. It ran well when it was driving, but being a novice my appraisal should be taken with a grain of salt. I imagine it would be a great parts car and does have the 4-speed manual conversion already complete.
Please keep in mind that I only had this car for a week and so do not know much about it. But, here is my novice assessment of the "good" and the "bad":
1. 4-speed manual (converted), as i mentioned
2. Body: very good shape; manilla beige paint appears to be original and is in great shape except for a little surface rust.
3. Interior is Okay.
4. Ran great when it was running.
5. Purchased from a TV repair man and so has his company sticker on the car; kind of neat, if you're into that kind of thing.
1. Not to State the obvious: It appears not to run well in the cold...
2. Definitely an oil leak;
3. Engine does not turn off when disengaging key; requires manual shut-off;
4. Paint on hood is completely faded.
5. ???? (probably a bunch of other things wrong with it).
I paid $3600 (wooed by the 4-speed transmission). Obviously, I would be willing to accept much less (PM me, please). In sum, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with this thing.
I'm also open to advice on what I should do? (e.g., ship to NY for $700?)
I already own a (relatively) low milage 300TD (marine blue) which I love more than most any non-living thing on this Earth.
Any and all replies are appreciated. Also, shortly, I will post some pictures (of varying quality).