LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: '82 300TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
For Sale: 1985 300TD 4-speed manual (converted)

So I did something very stupid last week: I purchased a 300TD with 360,000 miles and attempted to drive it cross-country back to Upstate New York, where I reside. I picked the car up in Grand Junction, CO., and made it to the middle of Nebraska (roughly 500 miles). The car did not exactly break down. Rather, as the temperature dropped, my headlights, radio and dashboard ceased to work, which caused me to pull-over to attempt to fix the headlights--it was at night--and the car would not start-up again. Keep in mind two (related) things: 1. I'm an idiot and 2. I am a mercedes benz enthusiast but a novice (novice being generous) when it comes to mechanical repair. When I couldn't get the car to start, I had it towed to the nearest city, which was Lincoln, Nebraska (towed roughly 200 miles, which I came to find is not cheap), where it is currently parked--the hotel where i stayed was kind enough to allow me to accomodate parking until I figured out what to do with it.

I just wanted to see if anyone on the forum is interested in purchasing ("AS IS" of course) this wagon. It would probably require a tow truck or at least a block heater to get it started. It ran well when it was driving, but being a novice my appraisal should be taken with a grain of salt. I imagine it would be a great parts car and does have the 4-speed manual conversion already complete.

Please keep in mind that I only had this car for a week and so do not know much about it. But, here is my novice assessment of the "good" and the "bad":

1. 4-speed manual (converted), as i mentioned

2. Body: very good shape; manilla beige paint appears to be original and is in great shape except for a little surface rust.

3. Interior is Okay.

4. Ran great when it was running.

5. Purchased from a TV repair man and so has his company sticker on the car; kind of neat, if you're into that kind of thing.

1. Not to State the obvious: It appears not to run well in the cold...

2. Definitely an oil leak;

3. Engine does not turn off when disengaging key; requires manual shut-off;

4. Paint on hood is completely faded.

5. ???? (probably a bunch of other things wrong with it).

I paid $3600 (wooed by the 4-speed transmission). Obviously, I would be willing to accept much less (PM me, please). In sum, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with this thing.

I'm also open to advice on what I should do? (e.g., ship to NY for $700?)

I already own a (relatively) low milage 300TD (marine blue) which I love more than most any non-living thing on this Earth.

Any and all replies are appreciated. Also, shortly, I will post some pictures (of varying quality).
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Sounds like a good car with a bad alternator. I've bought cars and got "holy crap what have I done" -itis. I usually find that once you make a list of the bad things, you realize it's not that bad after all and it's actually got a lot of good things. Get it shipped. Fix it. Then sell it after awhile if you still hate it.
holthoff likes this.

- Brian

1989 500SEL ECE
1966 Mercedes 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1983 300sd
Agreed. Best of luck. Sounds like a trip I would have tried!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:27 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500sl92 GONE:280sl79 4xW114/5 3x450sl72-3 280slc4sp81 280s69 73,81SLCs
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If you are still with the car, hopefully you've got some tools and know how, and you can slap a new alternator in there and get back on the foolish road. Never give up! You can do it!!!

My signature:
My dream car is a classic sporty five speed (stick+overdrive) convertible that seats five. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: '82 300TD
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, guys. I think you've convinced me to ship it to NY and get it into shape. Here is the picture which I had previously promised:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	881505  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '83 300TD
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You didn't say...

... if you were in Lincoln or had returned home. If you're with the car, correcting the problem could be as easy as tightening the alternator tensioner (making the v-belts taught again) or a new voltage regulator and fifteen minutes to install it. According to your description it's almost guaranteed your problem has to do with the alternator. Like 99% likely. If so, the most involved fix would be swapping in a good unit. With a minimal amount of tools you could be up and on your way in under an hour.

If you're already back in NY the most economical option is, most likely, to return to that hotel (very cool people, BTW) and fix it. You sound competent enough, don't let this experience rattle you to the point where you, in fact, haul off and DO something silly. You'll end up eating a boatload of money trying to sell a non-functioning car remotely.

Whatever your decision, take a moment now to clearly assess the options. Even thirty year old diesel powered benzes are capable of saddling their owners with expensive consequences to knee-jerk reactions. You'll thank yourself afterwards and have something to laugh about down the road. Like years down the road, I realize it ain't so funny right now!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:33 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '83 300TD
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Ahhh, shipping

Depending on your schedule, shipping will likely be a more cost effective route.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: