post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1986 420SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS 1986 420SE Euro

I am not new to MB, but new to this forum. I am trying to sell my one family owned 420SE. I would rather it go to an enthusiast than some guy off the street who has no clue about these cars. So I am giving a few forums a shot and see what I come up with.

Ok, here is the deal. I own an 86 420SE Euro car that my dad bought new in 86 in Germany. He drove it out of the factory in Sindelfingen. In 89 we moved to the States and the car came with. When I was 19 (12 years ago), the car became mine. This car was my daily driver for probably 6-7 years. It never let me down. I have put countless hours in this car and who knows how much money. It was my baby…my "father's Mercedes-Benz". I moved to VA from FL approximately 5 years ago and by that time I had relegated the ol' Benz to second car status. When we moved to VA, I did not have space for her. My family has property in Missouri, and there it has been stored for the last 4 1/2 years. It is stored in a metal fully enclosed shop type building under a drive-on zip type "car cocoon" cover. It is also is up on jack stands. Well the time has come for the car to come out of hiding as my family will be putting the property on the market in the next few months. So that leaves the decision as to what to do with the ol Benz. In the mean time we have moved back to FL (couldn't handle the cold!). So I am here in FL, and the car is in Missouri. As much as I would love to keep the journey going with the ol Benz, financially it just doesn't make sense for me. What it would cost me to ship it to FL plus tagging it, insuring it, getting it roadworthy again, etc…and putting another car in my driveway…I just can't justify it. I have contemplated bringing it down here and getting it up to speed and then selling it. But I don't know if I'll even break even doing that or not. And…it would break my heart if I were to see it around town with 22s on it or some craziness like that. So here is what I am getting at. I would much prefer the car to go an enthusiast, someone that knows a thing or two about these old tanks and appreciates them and has the time and interest to tinker with it. My suggestion is, I'll take $500 for the car as is plus you pick up the car or the cost of shipping. Shipping from Springfield, MO to Orlando, FL is about $800 if you want to use that as a reference point. Here are the specifics about the car and what it needs at a minimum:

1986 420SE short wheelbase European spec (short bumpers, euro lights)
Approx 230-240k miles. Original engine and trans. Ran strong and trans was shifting fine when it was put in storage. (I drove it from VA to MO)
904 blue with grey VELOUR interior, drivers bolster getting thin.
Tinted windows
Rare trip computer and stand heater (neither of which work)
Eclipse CD deck
Lower cladding and bumpers painted to match the body (all one color)
H&R springs and Bilstein shocks.
16" W208 CLK 320 wheels (the original ones that came out on that car, 7 hole polished style) with 225/55-16 size tires. Looks sharp!
Typical dash cracks by the speaker grills and some of the wood needs to be refurbished. Carpet is spotless. Interior is in great shape for age. My dad never allowed eating or drinking (or smoking) in the car and it shows.
Paint is so-so. No rust, but fading in areas. A good polish would make it a very nice 10 footer.
Over the years when I was driving it I have put all sorts of money into it…bushings, gaskets, lines, belts, etc etc etc etc. I can't tell you exactly what it needs or what you would want to do to it, but mechanically it should be relatively up to speed. As far as I can remember, all the windows, sunroof, locks, A/C and so on worked when I last drove it in 09.

Here is what I know it will need at a minimum:
Water pump is leaking. I have new MB pump that is included with the car.
Tires (age)
All fluids changed. (normal after that many years of storage)
Fresh gas (ditto). I put stabilizer in it when I stored it, but still…been a long time.
Battery (duh!)

Sorry for the long winded-ness but just feel like I had to explain the whole situation for anyone to understand what I am trying to accomplish here. I am kind of "throwing the line out there" and testing the water and see if I might get any interest. I know the first question is going to be about pics. I have not laid eyes on the car in almost 5 years and I have looked high and low for some old pics and have not been able to find any. I know of course that's not ideal, but again, I'm unfortunately not able to come up with any. The car has a clear FL title. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
My heart is singing, Head reeling, Thoughts of Pickup trucks and car trailers and a road trip. Alas I am in AZ no room for another and too far away. RATZ!

Dark Blue and grey Velour, Shortie Euro Gen II! And a, rare in the states, 420SE!
A bigger engined younger sister to my first MB, Abigail, a 380SE same paint and interior scheme except Abigail had leather and was US car.
Who would not give this car a fitting home.

It will help to post some pictures of the car. I realize they won't be fresh, but any will help.

Hope you find her a fitting home.

"I know you think you understand what you thought you heard me say, but what you thought you heard me say is not necessarily what I meant!"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1990 420SEL, 1986 420SEL sold, 1997 E420 sold
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
OP, are you still taking $500 for it?
281lxm likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1986 420SE
(Thread Starter)
Yes I am. A gentleman in Kansas seems very interested, but first come first serve.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1990 420SEL, 1986 420SEL sold, 1997 E420 sold
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mbtjc View Post
Yes I am.

Thanks, seemed like an important detail omitted from your OP.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 06:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 1997 Dinan BMW M3; 1985 190e 2.3, 2010 GLK350
Send a message via AIM to RDM3

Still for sale? Any luck with photos?

Need a car shipped? check out www.EnclosedVehicleTransport.com or email me

"It's all about the star"

1985 190e
2010 GLK350

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 09:28 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '83 300TD
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: