LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 2002 S55 on ebay is this a good deal

Just ran across this today on Ebay. Sounds too good to be true. Thought i share it with fellow members, Is this deal worth bidding on what should be the max amount.

Mercedes Benz s Class S55 | eBay

Last edited by hksnlper; 03-23-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 300SD
SWEET,,, wish I had 8K sitting around, I'd snap it up

1993 400e
1987 190D
1984 6.2 suburban
2001 e320 4matic

https://benzbonz.biz/store
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:50 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It has been in a minor accident, the hood needs a paint job, the door sill trim is missing, the tow hook is missing, the mirror/headliner issue, the dings and things. Also missing an air intake tube for the engine on the left side.

I am not sure how much over $8k it will go for. I hope for the seller it does well, but there is least $2k of cosmetic fixes which the seller honestly put in the description. It is an honest car that needs some TLC. The mileage is great and the leather looks to be in good shape.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
It has been in a minor accident, the hood needs a paint job, the door sill trim is missing, the tow hook is missing, the mirror/headliner issue, the dings and things. Also missing an air intake tube for the engine on the left side.

I am not sure how much over $8k it will go for. I hope for the seller it does well, but there is least $2k of cosmetic fixes which the seller honestly put in the description. It is an honest car that needs some TLC. The mileage is great and the leather looks to be in good shape.
Agreed, car has a thousands in rehab just on exterior, who knows the mechanical condition especially after sitting for xx years. One thing we all know for sure, these cars do not like to sit, they need to be driven. Never heard of anyone letting one sit for couple months or more that didn't run into some problems. Sure, small problems but small problems on s55 can add into the thousands quickly and what about the ABC?
Wish the best for seller hope whoever buys it puts it back in concours condition, they are spectacular cars.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I went and checked the car today and I am amazed with the condition. The inside still has that new car smell. He shared the paperwork and it looks like his father spent $8k in work at dealership right before leaving. The Intake Tube is $39 at the dealer, Door sill is $119, ABC pump was replaced under warranty including all 4 struts. Brakes, Rotors, Tires were all done at 70k service and the car only has 71k miles. I love to buy it but he wants to wait for the bid to end. My question is what should be the max bid. I mean where should i just stop

Thanks for all the help

P.S. He showed me a paper for local dealer cash offer which is for $8000

Last edited by hksnlper; 03-25-2014 at 05:37 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: No MB right now, 2015 F-150 EB , 2008 BMW R1200GS, 2011 Nissan Juke (wife's), 2000 Jeep (Dobie's).
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, nice car overall.

The biggest issue is the ticking noise! probably needs a cam and associated followers and compensators (lifters). You talking a very expensive repair here unless you can do it yourself.

Use your head and don't let emotions rule you; I wouldn't buy it.

One of the "Quiet Professionals"
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: SLR
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AMGViper
Quote:
Yes, nice car overall.

The biggest issue is the ticking noise! probably needs a cam and associated followers and compensators (lifters). You talking a very expensive repair here unless you can do it yourself.

Use your head and don't let emotions rule you; I wouldn't buy it.
+1000

The engine is hurt. "sticky lifters or the injectors need service" is just... I promise you this guy would have spent the extra $35 for an injector cleaning service or dumped injector cleaner in it if it was that easy. Resale value with the problem fixed would be thousands higher. Bottom line - it looks good, but it's like lipstick on a pig...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=AMGViper;8237769]+1000

The engine is hurt. "sticky lifters or the injectors need service" is just... I promise you this guy would have spent the extra $35 for an injector cleaning service or dumped injector cleaner in it if it was that easy. Resale value with the problem fixed would be thousands higher. Bottom line - it looks good, but it's like lipstick on a pig...[/QUOTE

Viper I appreciate the advise but here is my concern. The Paper he showed me from Euro Motor Sports in Houston shows a detailed report which said the complete service could cost up to $1000 for Injectors. The guy is very upfront and honest because he never drove the car and he didn't seem to care much about it. What I am concerned is how come carmax made him a $8k offer if the car is not worth that much.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1995 S500 Coupe, 1993 190E Sportline LE-stick
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Expensive fix ?

[quote=hksnlper;8238025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGViper View Post
+1000

The engine is hurt. "sticky lifters or the injectors need service" is just... I promise you this guy would have spent the extra $35 for an injector cleaning service or dumped injector cleaner in it if it was that easy. Resale value with the problem fixed would be thousands higher. Bottom line - it looks good, but it's like lipstick on a pig...[/QUOTE

Viper I appreciate the advise but here is my concern. The Paper he showed me from Euro Motor Sports in Houston shows a detailed report which said the complete service could cost up to $1000 for Injectors. The guy is very upfront and honest because he never drove the car and he didn't seem to care much about it. What I am concerned is how come carmax made him a $8k offer if the car is not worth that much.
My spidey senses are tingling. The car was sitting for some time in partial disrepair? Sometimes you learn how expensive a cheap Mercedes can be the hard way. Good luck to the buyer.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:09 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: No MB right now, 2015 F-150 EB , 2008 BMW R1200GS, 2011 Nissan Juke (wife's), 2000 Jeep (Dobie's).
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
[/QUOTE

Viper I appreciate the advise but here is my concern. The Paper he showed me from Euro Motor Sports in Houston shows a detailed report which said the complete service could cost up to $1000 for Injectors. The guy is very upfront and honest because he never drove the car and he didn't seem to care much about it. What I am concerned is how come carmax made him a $8k offer if the car is not worth that much.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it doesn't make as much noise once the engine is warmed up or maybe the dealer the CarMax guy didn't open the hood. You asked for opinions and/or advise and you got it.

No matter how good the car looks, there are problems behind that pretty face. I think it is BS to assume that the noise is coming from a injector. I had the same noise on my 560SL and it needed a cam and followers. I did it myself and it still cost me over $500.00 in parts and it will be more on the S550 because the engine is way more complex........can you do that kind of repair?

Do yourself a favor and walk or, better run away from it and never look back!

One of the "Quiet Professionals"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in