FS: 2002 S55 on ebay is this a good deal - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The sound goes away as soon as you go past 2500 rpm after that the engine is quiet. The thing that I like is the interior and the miles I can afford up to $2k or so in my budget.

I've never done cam job on Benz but I have dealt with a jetta engine rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: No MB right now, 2015 F-150 EB , 2008 BMW R1200GS, 2011 Nissan Juke (wife's), 2000 Jeep (Dobie's).
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The VW engine is easy to work on and parts are cheap, the MB is just the opposite. Trust me, I been working on all kinds of different cars for the last 40 years. Two grand don't get you very far at the MB dealer either.

Whatever you decide I wish you good luck!

One of the "Quiet Professionals"
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 12:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1995 S500 Coupe, 1993 190E Sportline LE-stick
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How is the mpg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksnlper View Post
The sound goes away as soon as you go past 2500 rpm after that the engine is quiet. The thing that I like is the interior and the miles I can afford up to $2k or so in my budget.

I've never done cam job on Benz but I have dealt with a jetta engine rebuild.
If you want it that badly buy it, are you trying to convince yourself or other people on this thread. Pardon me for saying this but it is starting to sound
shill-ish. Anywho, good luck with your endeavor.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 06:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sounds like the seller is being pretty honest. He really could have said "great condition" and not taken pics of the missing trim. He really didn't need to post a video of the ticking engine but he did.

Having said that, I think it's more than noisy injectors. My S430 is making the same noise (but much quieter) and I have heard other W220's doing it. It is definitely an upper-end engine problem.

If you have rebuilt a Jetta engine, you have the knowledge and tools to fix something like this. Just make sure you look up some parts prices so you don't get a shock. If you can locate parts used somewhere, or find them cheap on eBay and have a little downtime where you can take things apart and try to fix it, you have a great car. If you're gonna take it to a shop and say "just fix it" this will be the most expensive car you've ever owned

Mine has been making the noise for 50,000mi and it isn't getting any worse. When it needs an oil change, it's louder. When it is cold, it's louder. At times the noise is almost undetectable and other times you can clearly hear it.

An option is to just drive the thing until something goes wrong with the engine. My guess is you could put 60k mi on it and the noise will get a little louder but nothing will go wrong.

If it were me, I'd take a quick look to see if I could identify the noise and hopefully it's $500 in parts and a day of your time to fix. If worse, I'd save up for a used S55 engine (easily available and not too outrageously priced) and keep driving the car.

A quick look at eBay shows:
Used (worn out?) engine with 150k - approx $700
Better used engine with 120k - $800-1500
Tested, reputable seller, excellent condition engine with 70k - $2700

I would drive the car and buy the $800-1500 engine and drop it in if yours goes bang.

You could end up with an S55 AMG with a used engine in it for $9000 all in. That's quite a good deal in my opinion.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2004 ML350, 1999 C230K
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt View Post
I would drive the car and buy the $800-1500 engine and drop it in if yours goes bang.

You could end up with an S55 AMG with a used engine in it for $9000 all in. That's quite a good deal in my opinion.
Good point

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the advise guys and I appreciate it all. I have decided to bid on it and take this risk wish me luck. Ill keep every one posted on how it turns out.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: SLR
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AMGViper
Quote:
Originally Posted by risteaun View Post
If you want it that badly buy it, are you trying to convince yourself or other people on this thread. Pardon me for saying this but it is starting to sound
shill-ish. Anywho, good luck with your endeavor.
+1

Look at the receipts. There was a cam sensor replaced and harness repair not too many miles ago. Seems like this guy has been chasing the problem for a while. And if it were an injector issue, why wouldn't he spend a grand to get them fixed? The car could easily fetch over a grand to pay for that cost. Secondly, the guy said the transmission is slipping between 3-4 gear. He let it sit for a while thus the dates being so far back, but mileage isn't too far from its current state. Whoever buys this is looking for a serious bill. Fact

I talked to my business partner who runs a shop with me. He thinks it's a rod issue. But who knows. It's all speculation Replacement motors seem cheap on fleabay. I guess bottom line though - if we were closer, we'd buy it, swap the engine and sell at an auction.

Last edited by AMGViper; 03-28-2014 at 09:01 PM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advise Viper but the guy is very honest and upfront. Car belongs to his father and he has no clue on this car what so ever.

I check the tranny and no slips. One thing that I just came across is S55 and S500 engine parts are identical for that year at least.

Already found me a local engine with less then 100k and a 6 month warranty for $1200. Wish me Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGViper View Post
+1

Look at the receipts. There was a cam sensor replaced and harness repair not too many miles ago. Seems like this guy has been chasing the problem for a while. And if it were an injector issue, why wouldn't he spend a grand to get them fixed? The car could easily fetch over a grand to pay for that cost. Secondly, the guy said the transmission is slipping between 3-4 gear. He let it sit for a while thus the dates being so far back, but mileage isn't too far from its current state. Whoever buys this is looking for a serious bill. Fact

I talked to my business partner who runs a shop with me. He thinks it's a rod issue. But who knows. It's all speculation Replacement motors seem cheap on fleabay. I guess bottom line though - if we were closer, we'd buy it, swap the engine and sell at an auction.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 10:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1995 S500 Coupe, 1993 190E Sportline LE-stick
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
buena suerte mon ami
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '83 300TD
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If I had a quarter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksnlper View Post
...I have decided to bid on it and take this risk wish me luck. Ill keep every one posted on how it turns out.
Tagged

MBZ123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in