post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1987 Mercedes Benz 300SDL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1987 300SDL w/103,000 miles - for project or parts

I'm selling my 1987 300SDL, a valiant old girl that I bought 3 years ago when she had just 98k miles on the clock. I am the second owner of this car. At her best, she looked something like this.

(more happy-Benz pics attached at the bottom. I'm having trouble linking photos hosted at Facebook)

I'm selling it as is - which means you're getting a car that's currently off the road and not running due to a low-speed collision on the front end, drivers' side. (see post-crash photos attached below.) Thanks, Acura Dude who stopped short in front of me.

What needs replacing: the grille, the driver's side headlight, the radiator, the fan, the condenser, and a couple other small items. Some bodywork also needs to be done, obviously. My mechanic has told me there's no frame damage, no problem with the engine or any other vital parts.

Everything after the first two feet of the car and the hood is in good condition. The interior is fair given its age - some cracks in the leather, and the drivers' seat needs a bolster on one side, but I've always been comfortable driving it. There is a sizable but shallow dent on the right side; the car had it when I bought it, and I always planned on getting it fixed when I had the car repainted. But that never happened.

As noted above, there are 103k miles on the car. The odometer quit (as they do, I've learned) early in January and the accident happened 1/22. So there may be a few more miles on it than the odo indicates, but that's all.

Among the extras you'll get:
4 lightly-used (one winter) Nokian Hakkapelliitta R winter tires (bought for $600+) They're on the car right now. They're brilliant.
Three of the all-season tires I've been riding on the rest of the year (the fourth was worn down to the point that I junked it.)
A new radio - though the OEM radio is still in the trunk for you to take as well.
The original manual and things, which I received when I got the car.

Over time I've also replaced things like glow plugs, shocks, and ball joints. After glow plug replacement around winter '12 the car has started without a problem even in the depths of winter. No other major repairs were necessary or done during my time with her.

If you make this a project - and I hope someone will - you'll have a very solid, comfortable diesel Benz with a ton of life left without too much trouble. Sadly, I just don't have the time at the moment for this project. If you want it for parts (why oh why would you want to tear it all to pieces?!) well, that's ok too. It's up to you.

I'm not parting this car out myself, because I don't have the garage/driveway space to tear down a car bit by bit. Thus I'm looking for someone who's prepared to take the whole thing.

The asking price is best offer.

I'm located in the Hudson Valley area of NY. Ideally you're in the region and can cart her away to her deserved resurrection, but I will try to help work something out if you're not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mb1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	809593   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	809745   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	809753   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	809761   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb5.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	809769  

Click image for larger version

Name:	mb6.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	809777  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
LOL

LUBE YOUR THROTTLE LINKAGES!
"A little neglect may breed mischief: for want of a nail the shoe was lost; for want of a shoe the horse was lost; and for want of a horse the rider was lost." -Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewater View Post
LOL
Not quite sure what that's supposed to be about. I certainly didn't say a thing about AMG. Trying to sell a car to someone who might want it more than I do now to people who may find some use for it, that's all.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael K. View Post
Not quite sure what that's supposed to be about. I certainly didn't say a thing about AMG. Trying to sell a car to someone who might want it more than I do now to people who may find some use for it, that's all.
Nothing personal. Good luck with sale. It seems you've had some misfortune, especially with the odometer and the accident and all. Will make for a tough sell, but if the engine really does only have 100k on it then well...

I think you need many more pictures of the engine bay area. You describe the hood as in "good condition" but that is not safe to drive on any road.

You also don't mention a price which seems grasping for suckers.
81126 likes this.

"A little neglect may breed mischief: for want of a nail the shoe was lost; for want of a shoe the horse was lost; and for want of a horse the rider was lost." -Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I think you should spend about $1k getting it fixed, the door and the front clip and I think you'll have a $4k car there.
81126 likes this.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewater View Post
Nothing personal. Good luck with sale. It seems you've had some misfortune, especially with the odometer and the accident and all. Will make for a tough sell, but if the engine really does only have 100k on it then well...

I think you need many more pictures of the engine bay area. You describe the hood as in "good condition" but that is not safe to drive on any road.

You also don't mention a price which seems grasping for suckers.
Sorry if what I wrote was a little unclear there - with "Everything after the first two feet of the car and the hood is in good condition" I was saying that everything BUT the crash damage and the hood (which obviously needs to be fixed) is ok. No, the car isn't safe nor drivable at this time.

It's currently at the garage; I haven't had a chance to take under the hood pictures.

Putting the money in to get it fixed isn't my first choice, which is why I put it up here. Like I wrote above, maybe there's someone out there who wants it for a part or a project. This seemed like the best place to ask.

Pricing this car in this condition is difficult - that's the main reason I didn't put a number. I'm most interested in making a fair deal with someone who likes W126s and can use the car, one way or the other.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael K. View Post
Sorry if what I wrote was a little unclear there - with "Everything after the first two feet of the car and the hood is in good condition" I was saying that everything BUT the crash damage and the hood (which obviously needs to be fixed) is ok. No, the car isn't safe nor drivable at this time.

It's currently at the garage; I haven't had a chance to take under the hood pictures.

Putting the money in to get it fixed isn't my first choice, which is why I put it up here. Like I wrote above, maybe there's someone out there who wants it for a part or a project. This seemed like the best place to ask.

Pricing this car in this condition is difficult - that's the main reason I didn't put a number. I'm most interested in making a fair deal with someone who likes W126s and can use the car, one way or the other.
Tough situation. I think you're looking at $1k at best.
81126 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in