LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: W124 Coupe 230CE- 5 Speed Manual Trans--$1100

For Sale: 1988 Mercedes Benz 230CE Coupe. European Market car. Same body style as the US model 300CE.

Regarding the car..It's a 5 speed manual transmission! This is pretty rare in the US. The clutch was replaced last year (old one is in the trunk). The brakes are fairly recent too. I have a receipt for the work by the previous owner, and the brake fluid is very fresh. I also recently replaced the alternator. Recent Oil Change. Passed CO emission in 2012. I haven't tried in AZ. I have also replaced a few misc trim pieces.

Some of the most obvious issues with the car are: Misc hail damage...includes a dozen + small dings and a cracked rear glass. Needs paint. The interior seats are torn a bit, and the drivers rear window is not functional. The sunroof is stuck shut. Rear Muffler has a hole in it. There is water leaking into the car, from I believe the sunroof, and this created a small rust spot on the drivers floor. There area also a few electrical issues, which I haven't sorted out yet.

The Engine is a M102 2.3 4 Cylinder. This is the same engine as a 190E. The engine runs OK. I am sure it could use some exercise, which I haven't given it. It doesn't smoke or appear to have any major leaks.

Suspension is lowered a bit from factory, it has Koni Springs and Koni Struts in the front, with Bilstein shocks in the rear. It has a pretty nice stance. Steering is pretty tight, with no obvious issues.

Wheels are 16 inch, funky aftermarket. Tires are pretty recent, but look like they were on the cheap end... but have plenty of tread life.

Odometer reads 174K, but is stuck. Actual miles are unknown. It could be much higher and it could be lower (when the car was imported they put new odometers/speedometers in the car, usually from a used car).

There are plenty of issues with the car, but it's something you won't likely come across again in the US. I think it could be a good donor car for 5 speed transmission swap, or a decent shell for a race car of some sorts...OR you could fix the issues the car has.

I bought this on Ebay as a project and no longer have the time. I may accept trades, but cash is always better. $1,100 OBO

Thanks for reading,

See ad for pictures:
1988 Mercedes Benz 230CE COUPE - Manual Trans---LIKE 300CE

Last edited by Euro_Sled; 01-20-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sale pending...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: