post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2008 CLS63 AMG, 1969 Plymouth GTX, like a Roadrunner, but better
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1996 S600 Coupe for sale $4000

I'm selling my 1996 Mercedes Benz S600 V12 Coupe. (http://www.megahosted.com/gallery/CL600/CL600_1?full=1)

The car is currently kind of a dark steel blue metallic. It has been repainted at some point in it's life. The original color was a prettier dark blue metallic. The clear is peeling off.

Currently this car has 136,XXX miles on it. Of course, ALL the power goodies, bells and whistles. (Power mirrors, heated power memory seats, power steering wheel adjust, moon roof, killer AM/FM/cassette stereo with a factory 6 disc CD changer) Powered by a 6.0L, 389 HP V12 this car is not for the faint of heart. It has it's "go fast" credentials. Going up a freeway on ramp it feels like a Boeing 757 heading for the sky. It accelerates like a locomotive from low speed quickly attaining velocities in the "take me to jail" territory and tugging at the reins for more. Selling for $133,000 when new in 1996 this car was about as exclusive as you could get. While not what I'd call "rare" they aren't common either. And one of these still garners respect in the community of Mercedes enthusiasts. Not a car for just anybody then, and, well, it still isn't. A car like this is going to take a special owner.

The good, the bad and the ugly.

First I'll start with the good. This car runs like both a dream and a lion at the same time. Smooth and powerful, with handling that you would expect from a smaller sportier car. I absolutely love driving this car. It's comfortable and exhilarating at the same time. The engine and transmission work like they are supposed to. The suspension is tuned for a more, uh, "spirited" driving style than it's 4 door sedan brothers. So it's a bit stiff and if you aren't prepared might be considered harsh. The heat, A/C, moon roof, power windows, power seats, and adjustable steering column work as they should. The interior is in pretty nice condition with one tear in the drivers seat back. The stock stereo is killer. I've been driving this car for over 1 1/2 years now. I got it with 107,XXX miles on the odometer. It now has 136,XXX miles on it. Always a flawless performer. It has never failed to do it's job. It has never let me down. And always puts a smile on my face when I look down at the V12 emblem on the top of the shifter. Yeah, it's an experience. And last year I made repeated trips to New Orleans in it with never a problem.

Now the bad...

I'm going to be upfront about it's condition. Consider it IS 18 years old so there are a few things that need to be addressed.
First: Although the engine runs flawlessly with abounding power, it won't currently pass emissions. NOTE: The MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light, aka: "check engine light") is NOT on. It doesn't come on if the engine is running. There are no codes stored in the OBDII system. But some of the emissions "monitors" just don't set. I'm getting this out right at the start because the guy that I bought the car from said that it passed emissions with no problems. Well, he was wrong. This does not affect the way the car runs or drives. Heck, if I set the cruise control it'll get near 20 MPG on the highway running 75 MPH (and the car is begging you to go faster). If you live in an area without emissions testing, you don't have to worry about this. Like I said, it doesn't affect the operation of the vehicle. I could go into detail what the specific problem is but it's long and a lot of people just won't understand it. So what I have done is write up a note on what the specific problem is and what I have done to troubleshoot it. I can e-mail that to you if you are interested.

Second, it has an oil leak that started recently. It's coming from the left front corner of the engine. I can't see exactly where it's coming from. But it does make a mess on the driveway.

Then a few other things: The door lock system is operated by vacuum/pressure. For some reason this system isn't working although the pump for the system is working properly. Obviously a broken line somewhere. And the drivers side rear window has a problem. I have a replacement regulator to fix it with. That goes with the car. Then there are some smaller cosmetic things inside the car that need to be fixed.

Finally, the ugly...

The paint needs to be redone. The clear is peeling off it's dark blue metallic paint. Gee, welcome to Arizona. Someone that does paint could probably color sand it and spray some fresh clear on it. A cheap fix that would look good for a while.

If you have any interest, send me a private message. The car is in AZ. I will post some recent pictures tomorrow.

Karl M.

Last edited by comm-tech; 12-26-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in