WTB - SL500 (R129) 1990-1998 with Finder's Fee! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
WTB - SL500 (R129) 1990-1998 with Finder's Fee!

I am actively looking for a decent 1990-1998 SL500 (R129) for my next MB. While I am actively searching in my immediate area (west central Florida (Tampa Bay area)) I am ready and willing to travel anywhere in the CONUS for the right deal.

I have a budget of $6,000 for the purchase, not including travel expenses if necessary. I could reach a little above that for the right car, but not much. Color is not an issue, although given the choice I would prefer to avoid black and would choose red as my first preference.

I am a former NIASE certified mechanic and have over 20 years of Mercedes experience, so this plays into the deal. I am not looking for Grandpa's garage queen. I would emphasize cosmetics over function, that is, a nice looking car that might need the top hydraulics gone through would be a likely candidate as opposed to one that needs paint. Or maybe a new soft top or carpets/interior is needed, for example. I don't do bodywork, so this immediately disqualifies cars requiring things like fender replacement or paint jobs.

I would prefer a high mileage car with solid service records over a low mileage/questionable records car. What I am seeing in my immediate market are nice 1994/95 models in the $4000-$5000 range with around 120,000 miles. As one might expect, I am looking for the latest (newest) model year I can afford. 1996 is a possibility for the right car, but since there are some significant changes between 1995 and 1996 models, the prices on 96 and later cars seem to be a bit higher and possibly out of my range. I only posted up to 1998 as there is a remote possibility there is something out there that fits the bill...

I will consider cars with salvage titles ONLY if I can verify their history. I own two MBs with salvage titles at present, and have no problem with it in the case of an insurance total out/repair/buyback scenario, for example.

I don't want a project car, I want a driver that might need some TLC to make it perfect, or close to perfect. If I can't drive it cross-country, I'm not interested.

No eBay links, please. I can do that on my own. If you see something local to you on Craigslist or another form of media please pass it along. If you have a neighbor/family/friend who has a potential candidate, please pass the contact information along.

If a referral leads to a purchase, I will pay a 2% finder's fee to the referring party within 30 days of the purchase date. If I receive multiple referrals, the first time/date stamped message will prevail. If I see something I like and choose to pursue it, if the referrer assists with a PPI or a personal inspection of their own I will increase the fee to 3%, or consider reimbursement for direct expenses over and above the 2% fee, whichever is higher. I will acknowledge all referrals so you know I looked.

You may think this is a novel approach, but I have used brokers in the past to help me locate a car, and I see our forum as a perfect environment for identifying and possibly locating my next MB. I have done a fair share of inspections in my area for my MB friends over the years, so I'm hoping the favor can be returned, ideally with a small financial incentive providing additional motivation.

If you have questions or a potential car that fits the requirements above, please send me a PM.

Thank you,

GreenT likes this.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: