BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 Kompressor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1999 SLK230 Kompressor - Worth buying?

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie as of today and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to look for in purchasing an 1999 SLK230 Kompressor.

I am going to look at this car today, but am somewhat helpless as I have never owned a Mercedes before. I asked, and they said they have a Vehicle History report that I can review, and it is already MD inspected, which were my 1st two questions.
I know the material on console is an issue as it chips (from reading already), but is there anything specifically that I should look for in this year car?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 Kompressor, $11,995 - Cars.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1985 500SL - 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow Edition
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
For $12,000, you can get a nice, lower mileage 97-02 SL500. Much better car in every way.

There's a wheeler dealers episode about the SLK. Touches on the common issues. Look it up online.

Supercharges like to get noisy. Top is not reliable. Certainly fun to drive.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 11:24 AM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
For $12,000, you can get a nice, lower mileage 97-02 SL500. Much better car in every way.

There's a wheeler dealers episode about the SLK. Touches on the common issues. Look it up online.

Supercharges like to get noisy. Top is not reliable. Certainly fun to drive.
vis-a-vis, this post...
yummy!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...tible-49k.html

RM Smith www.rmsmithco.com

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 12:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Check the top. For that price, it better work flawlessly. The slk230 is a great car. We had one for years. Weak point is the top.

Mike
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks very much for the feedback on issues with the 230 and the suggestion of the SL500. I really do like the look of the SLK230 much better.

The car today drove good but it had some issues I wasn't too comfortable with. Both door panels were very loose (I could bend them out about 6".
They had glued a mirror on top of the driver's side mirror (I guess instead of replacing it) and some rust around the grill, lug bolts & under the hood.
The side mirrors were a bit scraped up, along with the front bumper. But the top worked great!

I know the car is 14 years old, so I was trying to remember that, but it just didn't feel right.

One more to look at where the owner said he would have no problem with negotiating with me. He said he just had service done, the console redone (due to the wear & tear) and the doors aligned. I hope this one is more promising.

Cars for Sale: 1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 in Leesburg, VA 20175: Convertible Details - 356796025 - AutoTrader.com

Thanks again for your help, I am really looking forward to owning a Mercedes.

Laurie
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 07:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Take a look at the slk230 with the AMG sports package. No increased performance but I personally like the look of the car better. One of the things I like about the slk230 is that it is one of the few Mercedes available with a manual transmission (from this era) and it is a very good manual.

Mike
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Need your valued opinion on 1998 purchase

Again, Thanks to all for your feedback & help since I am new to Mercedes.
I have learned a lot from reading this site for hours on end this past week and it's been a great help.

I test drove the SLK (link below) and it was so sweet! In very good shape for 15 yrs. old & way better than any one that I've looked at so far.

I requested a PPI (& offered to pay for it) & the seller had no issue with that. I had it done at a Mercedes dealer that he did not frequent (I read both good & bad about dealer PPI's). For $271, I wasn't real impressed with the dealership, but it's done now.

What I am asking of you Mercedes Guru's is for any opinions, (and I know everyone has one) on whether it's worth the investment? With the below findings from the PPI, and at a cost of $8500 with 52K miles, do you think it's worth buying?

PPI Recommendations:
Trunk lid shocks
- this is all it said, no details
Air injection check valve & pipe - Code PO410
Major Service - No details, except it needs a routine service appt.
Light bulb in instrument cluster - SRS is only one that doesn't light up
Brake flush
Power Steering flush
Possible tires & alignment
- Tires are ok, but will need new ones soon

*It has the original battery and only a note that the battery is marginal at 20-50% remaining.

When I spoke to the Service Manager he said the PO410 is probably just carbon build up or a bad valve, no big deal (in his opinion, but I read it could be). He said the car was in excellent condition for that year. He was with the seller when he called as I am out of state and could not be there.

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated. I do have the PPI in my email, so I could forward to anyone that would want to see it.

Cars for Sale: 1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 in Leesburg, VA 20175: Convertible Details - 356796025 - AutoTrader.com

Again, thanks for any advice you have, or if you see a big red flag on this purchase.

Laurie

Last edited by 100garza; 11-07-2013 at 04:45 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100garza View Post
... He said the car was in excellent condition for that year. He was with the seller when he called...
I would prefer an independent PPI done without seller interference or presence. An excellent condition car should have a working SRS self test light and no P0410 code.

Search for SRS and P0410 and you'll find the severity of these fault codes. I question the excellent rating given.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in