post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 1982 300TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1982 Mercedes 300TD Fantastic driver

One owner for the first 30 years of this turbo diesel's life. 127,000 miles. Extremely original but everything under the hood has been extensively gone through. New glow plugs. New hoses. New belts. New water pump. New fan clutch. New AC compressor which runs 134. Freshly charged AC blows cold. New hood insulation. 4 new tires. New window tint. Completely original immaculate interior. Dent and rust free body is perfectly straight. Paint was recently buffed sealed and waxed. Car has a vegetable oil conversion though it's only ever run diesel.
This is a very nice specimen of the W123 Mercedes but keep in mind it is 31 years old. There are a few things that can be done to make it perfect. The tachometer and cruise control are not currently functioning. Also the antenna Is stuck in the up position. These haven't been addressed yet because they don't affect the drivability and reliability.
Its happiest at freeway speeds. I just returned from a 350 mile trip during which it performed flawlessly. Even with 9,000 feet of climbing it averaged just under 30 mpg. On flat trips it gets 30-33 mpg.
I live in southwest Arizona and don't mind driving up to three hours to deliver the car assuming we come to an agreement. This includes Southern California, Phoenix and Tucson. If your farther and the car needs to be shipped its up to the buyer to arrange for a carrier.
If you want pictures of anything specific just ask and I can email you.
$13,000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	563625  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Another pic

Passenger side
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	85
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	563649  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 560SEL 560SEC 300TD 300SEL 300TE E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
No disrespect intended, but if you ask $13k for a 300TD you need more than 2 mediocre photos. Try a link to 25 or so high quality photos.

Second, one would expect that the couple hundred dollar items not working (cruise, antenna) would be fixed on a car seeking a premium price.

I would buy a 300TD and would not balk at the price, but you need to put out more information before getting into an email exchange with prospective buyers.

It looks like a lovely example, and I wish you the best in getting it sold.

Last edited by wilson1010; 09-15-2013 at 06:56 AM.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 12:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
+1

Also I have it hard to believe there is a wvo system in the car but it was never used......and stating happiest at freeway speed.....makes me think the engine has a horrible idle at in town driving....

As was said, your asking for the top of the market for a 300td.....you need a lot of photos, everything must be fixed and have documenting evidence of the milage claim....

The exterior color is very nice......
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
The car is happy at all speeds but its especially pleasurable when on a long trip. That's what I was getting at with that comment.
As far as pictures go, I have plenty. Rather than clogging this thread with a bunch of low-quality pictures or finding some third-party to host all of them I would prefer just to email quality photos. So, if you have a genuine interest in seeing this vehicle in more detail please PM me and I can get them to you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 04:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 560SEL 560SEC 300TD 300SEL 300TE E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I had a concern about the WVO also. No one wants a perfect 300TD that has run WVO. It is the wastebasket of the OM617. Glad yours was not run with WVO.

As for the photos, I gave good advice, you chose to ignore it. Every bit your call.

But, when you make the excuse of "clogging up the thread" I have to say good bye because you are either inconsiderate of my time, or don't like what the photos would show. Benzworld has plenty of bandwidth and if you don't like the upload interface there is always photobucket, flickr, etc.

As I said, good luck! Looks like a nice car.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
As I mentioned before, while it has the conversion, it has only run on diesel.
This is why I have been reluctant to post on forums. Everyone with an Internet connection becomes the worlds formost critic on whatever subject is on the top of the board.
You talk trash about my method of posting and a car you obviously have no interest in purchasing and expect me not to be put out because you preface your comment with "No disrespect intended".
I can only hope your behavior isn't typical of everyone on this forum.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
The reason why we are critics, is because we are hobbyist of these cars.....many of us have been working on these cars for decades......some of us have had the pleasure of buying a fantastic car for more then fair market only to learn they had to spend many many hours fixing rot and other issues not described.....many of us follow the market on these cars.....many of us know of all the issues with these cars especially the odometers....and what's involved to get an ac working again....we suggest you post all the photos so we can see all the details....we like photos, even if we don't attend to buy....

If you don't want to hear our comments, not criticism....just the truth.....then you should post the car for sale on a Honda site or Prius site.....of course they would probably also want to know why you want so much for an old clunky diesel....

The wvo questions are very important.....just having that system in there, and mentioning.....makes 90% of your buyers run far far away....ask me why I know....no collector of w123's or who has always wanted a wagon will want it because of that system.....there's not a big crowd left anymore who want veggie burners.....13 years ago, this would be gone in a heart beat....but now we know better about wvo....

This is just advice, I am not criticising you or the car.....this is just advice from experts of these cars...

I would suggest putting it on eBay and letting the world decided....but even then they want more then 3 photos from 70 feet away....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Cooljjay
I understand what you are saying and appreciate the way you convey it. My previous post was in reference to the other commenter. That passive aggressive stuff just really irks me.
So, thank you for the constructive criticism on your part.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
New headlights I forgot to mention.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	80
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	565617  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in