post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1993 400 SEL Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Were all W140's built in Germany?

Hello. I am new to posting on this forum.
I drive a 1993 400 SEL. By far, it is the best all-around car I've owned.
I have grown a deep appreciation for this car since acquiring it four years ago.
Literally, every time I drive it, I am in awe of the forward-thinking engineering which allows this car to drive like new, despite much neglect, at over twenty years in.
I've owned a 1987 300 SDL, as well, and it took a few years before I got to the point of appreciating the 400 as much as the old diesel.
I'm not into flash, but I value strength and reliability, comfort, elegance and style.

It's been said before, but I will say again: This car is a tank of an automobile.
A beauty truly coming into its own at 80 mph+ on the highway, while still blowing nearly all else out of the water when cruising at 20mph down a quiet street.
I've driven many modern "luxury" cars. My immediate family do not share my taste. They like new, new and new. New means quality to them because they only ever care to look at the surface(which in my opinion is not nearly as nice as the w140's.)
I've driven(and witnessed problems with) the 2006 s600, 2008 Audi a8, and a list of lexus(mother leased these for fifteen years before switching to benz due to witnessing my appreciation for benz-- but completely missed the point, buying a 2012 benz truck----I drove it many miles--- uggghhh. )
and other makes and models which I'm actually getting bored thinking about.
The point is, that it was only after driving these old beautiful beasts(140's 126's, etc.) that I realized, as with many other areas of manufacturing, that a golden age of engineering has passed. We've entered a period of JUNK MANUFACTURING. JUNK. The brand new 100,000 Mercedes that I drove was completely unimpressive. Felt toy-ish. Didn't feel as sturdy. Didn't drive as well. Steering was tight, but felt all too American(and not in a good way, obviously) and cheap. Felt like I was driving a luxurious Impala.

Anyway, I knew years ago that these were amazing cars, but only later appreciated how all these years later, with all the money being spent on
modern technology, that these cars are superior in almost all ways aside from gadgetry, electronics, etc.

So getting to the point of the post, I have heard and read much conflicting info on the w140's.

My main questions are regarding the building.

When was the last of the hand-built/hand-assembled models in Germany?

Were the German-built models considered better(one would think)?

What was the height of the w140?

Do the many quirks and electrical issues with the 93-95's outweigh the quality in their other respective areas?

How may I find this info on this site, if it is available?

I've search many posts and have not seen this addressed definitively.
I look to you knowledgeable forum members to shed some light on this.

Thank you for taking the time.
This site has been very helpful and enjoyable to me.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 95 E300D 93 300D 87 300TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
You should post this in the W140 S-class section
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: