For sale or Trade Immaculate 40 Th. Anniversary Roadster - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1997 SL 500 40th. Anniversary 37k miles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymaynard View Post
Larry, this is a community. Like any community, it has rules, written and unwritten. The one about posting an asking price is indeed a written one; it's in the stickies at the top.

If I were in the market for an R129, I'd still be leery of making you an offer, simply because I don't know what the market is. I see them advertised on Craigslist in my end of the world in the $7-12K range. I don't know enough about the car to know if yours is at the low or high end of the range. That leaves me with a choice of making an offer at the low end of the range and getting blown off, or at the high end of the range and potentially getting taken. (Not that you're a dishonest kind of guy, but would you honestly turn down an offer of $5K above market?)

That's why the community has the norms it has. You can choose to ignore them if you wish, but don't be surprised when the community reacts in a less than favorable manner, as it has in your case. We're not looking for a public conversation on the value of the car, though that you adamantly refuse to post an asking price has left a vacuum that others have filled. We're just looking for some sort of starting point.
Like I just stated in my last post I would be quite happy if this thread were removed or locked.

1. As for the benzworld written rules in the “stickies at the top.” On my computer there is NO such rule visible and you can rest assure if there were I would have complied or not posted at all.
2. Of course I would not turn down any reasonable “an offer 5K over market “, I am not an idiot or am I?.
3. I would like to be able to say here that I am not an idiot but the fact I posted a baited response to a member as to the “price range I have seen similar R129 advertised for (not sold for)” and to start at the top and work down as I was open to any offers for a sale or trade.
4. That response was twisted to fit the mood of the trolls and fiction became fact that I was actually asking the over the top price they are continuing to state and that is incorrect.

Regards, Larry hegle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 161K miles; 1983 380SL (die Rostlaube), 238K miles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehegle View Post
1. As for the benzworld written rules in the “stickies at the top.” On my computer there is NO such rule visible and you can rest assure if there were I would have complied or not posted at all.
I direct you to the thread http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...ing-rules.html and the only post in it, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...ml#post4011864 .
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Question Rule not visible on my computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymaynard View Post
The links you have posted and the stickie at the top of for sale giveaway ect. has a title “Read This Before Posting” and on my computer there is NO mention of any rule requiring that a price must be included in a for sale thread.

Why don't you copy and paste the information here instead of links I have said do not show that rule on my computer?

I could be blind or have a mental block on the subject but, I do not see what you are talking about and if that is the case I apologize to anyone offended.

In any event the solution is not going to be that I post an “asking price” in this thread at this point. If I have unknowingly violated a posting 2 months ago the moderator would be more than justified in removing the thread with my blessing.

Regards, Larry Hegle
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 161K miles; 1983 380SL (die Rostlaube), 238K miles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehegle View Post
Why don't you copy and paste the information here instead of links I have said do not show that rule on my computer?
Sixth bullet point:

Quote:
• Include enough information to help you move your stuff, pics, price, location, condition – all stop people having to make guesses then being potentially disappointed. Remember this is an international site – not everyone knows where Podoken, Amritsar is.
(emphasis added)
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 06:04 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/show....php?t=1718621

We've been down this road before.

The seller should just sit back and enjoy the thread "bumps" to keeps this a hot topic, advertising his car. Perhaps post a new picture every ~ 10 posts to keep the thread emphasis on selling the car and not arguing about how to sell a car.

A little excitement in the FS forum is always fun (at least when nobody has gotten ripped off, the typical reason for excitement in a FS forum).

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.

Last edited by Fonzi; 08-09-2013 at 06:08 PM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: Present Stable = '09 CLS 550, '88 560SL ,'06 LR3 HSE,
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
this thread is not worthy of any further engagement

"Live each day as if its your last
~ one day you'll be right!"
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 PM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Play nice in the sandpit everyone.

OP, if you wish the thread locked - please PM me.

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2003 CLK320 (A208) in Triple Black
Inquiring minds might want to review the thread found at this link: WTT Rare Mercedes SL-500 for 1990 up C4 Convertible - Corvette Forum
by and relative to the posts of one "sanct2"...
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 96 Saab 900S Conv., 01 BMW 330i, 05 MB C230, 07 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutscheFahrer View Post
Inquiring minds might want to review the thread found at this link: WTT Rare Mercedes SL-500 for 1990 up C4 Convertible - Corvette Forum
Haha! Good catch!

Easy to set a trade price, but no selling price? Oh well... We all have the cars we like, but I just can't quite grasp the concept of wanting to trade the SL for a C4...

I could definitely see it if it was a C5, but what ever floats our boat.

And one more time to the top.

1986 Honda V45 Magna
1991 MB 300CE
2001 BMW 330i
2005 MB C230K Sport
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Sherlock you got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutscheFahrer View Post
Hey Sherlock you got me, thanks for the free plug but, that ad was 1 year ago and benzworld rules explicitly request the OP not to post links to other sites where the item is for sale.

If you or any other benzworld member has an Outstanding late C4 Roadster they want to trade PM me I still could be interested although my itch for a high performance car has been satisfied with a new Mustang Premium GT White with 2 tone Red leather and a PANO glass roof.

At that time on the corvette forum it was clearly stated the Mercedes was For Trade Only Not For Sale therefore only a Trade value was listed.

The value or price of my 40Th. Anniversary Roadster is no secret all any potentially interested party had to do was PM and start a dialogue as requested. I have never seen on any forum where a serious buyer conducted their actual buying business in an open forum.

The most notable thing you will find if you look at the corvette forum post is the difference in the demeanor of the posts by other members in the thread and the mutual respect they convey. You will not find them belittling the item for sale or the OP. Most importantly you will not see the extremely negative atmosphere conveyed in the benzworld for sale section.

I would hate to see what would happen to some poor Corvette owner who posted a For Trade thread on benzworld.

Regards, Larry Hegle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in