FS: 1972 MBZ 280se 4.5 BURG/ PALOMINO - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Reluctantly, I am listing my 72' 280SE 4.5 for sale. I purchased it last year as a winter project, with the intention of doing a cosmetic and light mechanical restoration.
Unfortunately, summer has come around ( along with the wife's projects) and need the garage space more than I need the car at this point.

This W108 is supposed to have 125K miles on it, when I had purchased it (I am not fooling myself and have simply assumed that it is 225K). It does start immediately, idles PERFECT and runs very well. With my limited experience, I think I got the air/fuel mixture just right, along with new plugs, wires, fuel & air filter and a couple of other items. I replaced the front and rear shocks with KYBs ( Ok, so not $1000 shocks, but better than the 40+ yr old originals); also has the brake master replaced, new rear muffler, wheel bearings, upper/ lower A arm bushings, steering bushings ( sorry, I am off on the steering wheel centering), rebuilt fuel pump and some minor miscellaneous.

I put a set of MBZ chrome wheels off a 72' SEL, that had really good MICHELIN tires on them. The treads are great (80%+), but the outer walls have begun to show a few little cracks from the sun. This 4.5 STILL has its complete, original, FUNCTIONAL A/C system. It is not recharged, but it is complete, connected and running.

I also had all four power windows fixed ( none worked) as well as the sunroof. The Power locks work on a whim. Heater/ blower/ defroster motor works fine, so do the wipers and horn.

The body is fairly straight, with a small rust spot on the right rear trunk well ( inside), right where the spare sits. There is also a small area of bubbling over the top of the right taillight. The car has always been burgundy, and I would assume it has been re-sprayed once prior ( not by me, but a long time ago). NO accidents, SOLID car with sound chassis, floorboards, doors, hood, trunk lid, quarter panels and fenders. 99% complete.

The Palomino interior is in average condition, with a nice rear seat. Front seats were in terrible shape and I had them replaced with a pair off another 4.5, but black ( I had planned to have them recovered but it has not happened). Nice door panels. Two upper trim pieces are split. Dash pad looks to have been recovered ( not by me). Missing the top speaker grille. No radio.
Carpet is clean but worn in places. All weather-stripping is solid. NO cracks on the windshield.

The chrome on the bumpers is still very nice, and would polish up very well with a gentle polish, as well as the front twin semaphore lights. Still has the amber fog lights.

Overall, a very solid, restorable 4.5, with a very strong powertrain, original A/C, functional power windows and sunroof, for a modest asking price.
I originally purchased the car for $4200. I spent nearly $1000 on the wheels, plus replacement of the struts, fuel pump, muffler, etc.

I would like to get $3500 for the car. I do not mind losing some, as my priority at this point is to regain use of the second garage. I have a clear California title, and the previous bill of sale to me from the owner ( he was the second owner and owned it since 1987).

It would make a great cosmetic restoration while you drive it. It has a super powertrain, with lots of torque and surprising amount of power.

Serious inquiries are welcome. The car can be viewed in San Mateo ( near Hillsdale H.S) by appointment. PLEASE, understand that this is an inexpensive, solid base for a cosmetic restoration, not a restored 4.5. It has aged, but it does run and it does so very well. PRICED TO SELL at $2500 FIRM.

If you live out of the area, I would be willing to assist making arrangements to transport the car, should you consider purchase. Shipping / transport would be at the most economical shipping rate available, unless you prefer otherwise.

You can call me at (650) 430-4660, no later than 9pm PST please ( I have small children). Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1972 MBZ 280 SE 4.5.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	523956   Click image for larger version

Name:	benz2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	523957   Click image for larger version

Name:	benz3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	523958   Click image for larger version

Name:	benz4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	523959   Click image for larger version

Name:	benz21.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	523960  

Click image for larger version

Name:	benz9.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	523961   Click image for larger version

Name:	benz10.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	523962   Click image for larger version

Name:	benz11.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	523963   Click image for larger version

Name:	benz12.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	523964   Click image for larger version

Name:	benz13.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	523965  

Last edited by CPTLOU; 07-01-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: