LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SOLD: 1985 230TE 5-speed Euro/Grey Market in FL

I found this car in Atlanta last year after my beautiful '95 W124 wagon was totaled & I went searching for a replacement. The seller was a factory MB Tech @ a dealership in Atlanta where he & several other techs & a service writer had taken turns owning the car, daily driving it & tending to its needs as they came up. The car is a WONDERFUL mix of solid daily driver & neat MB history. I have the original owner's manual and the German service books showing its first few services completed while still in Germany. In '86 the car was brought to San Diego & grey marketed. The fuel system has been returned to stock, but I still have the black box, aux injector, etc. as I thought they were a neat part of the cars history. It retains its original Euro bumpers, headlights, rear fog light, Alpine horns, vacuum headlights, and a ton of other unique German/Euro tidbits. Mileage on the ODO is ~240k which I belive to be accurate, ODO & trip meter are still 100% functional & GPS accurate within a few %. Clean Florida title & CarFax history, etc.

the GOOD:

- This is the BEST driving W123 I've ever experienced. I'm a mechanic & have toodled along in my fair share of decent & nice diesel 123s, I GREATLY prefer the character of this torquey little gasser coupled with the excellent & very healthy 5-speed. This car happily rolls along at ~90mph on the highway. Just completed a ~300mi trip with my Wife & Son, a weekend worth of camping gear & our 16' Mad River canoe on the roof. Got ~ low 20mpg, which seems fantastic to me.

- The interior is in very good shape. The front seats were re-covered with factory parts including the horse hair pads & look FANTASTIC. The dash was in pretty horrible shape, but has a nice blue cover now. Power windows, manual sunroof, vacuum interlock, etc. all working perfectly.

- Tires, brakes, suspension, etc. are all great. I would probably switch out the ~3yr old Generals for some fresh Michellins in the next year if I were planning to keep the car as my daily driver, but I'm quite picky about tires - these still have plenty of tread. Self leveling is working corectly & leak-free. Steering box has been re-built & feels fantastic, no play or slop in the steering, alignment is great, hands-off on the highway, etc.

- Currently have 14" Bundts fitted, including a factory-fresh spare with original MB weights & DOT code correct 1985 Pirelli tire - NEVER MOUNTED. Still have the original warning triangle, German First Aid Kit, tool kit, etc. I recently re-ran the factory correct hose for the rear wiper jet. Power antenna has been re-built with a fresh belt, etc.

the BAD:

- The top paint surfaces are quite bad & require a repaint at some point in the future. I have gone back & forth on this & it is, realistically, the primary reason I'm considering letting this car go. I can't bring myself to put a cheap paint job on it, and can't afford to have it done they way I'd like.

- The A/C compressor has a slow leak @ the front seal, system is currently charged & working fine, but I don't usually use it.

- The reflectors on the front headlights aren't as clear/bright as I'd like - I would replace them if I were keeping the car long-term & probably fit ceramic bulb holders, relays & more powerful bulbs. These ARE original Euro headlights & retain the fully functional vacuum system. One lens was replaced right before I bought it.

- There is an intermittent squeak from the electromagnetic fan clutch bearing on the nose of the water pump. Its been present for a while & I haven't gotten around to putting a new water pump on the car. Would be something I'd recommend, obviously, though the noise isn't very audible from the cabin. . .

Otherwise, this car is pretty much PERFECT for someone looking to daily drive a clean W123 wagon. Its not clean enough to be a collectors/museum piece and its not a ratty car on its last legs like so many W123s are now. I could ramble for HOURS about this car & would happily chat on the phone with anyone interested in knowing more about it in whatever level of detail, just drop me a PM!

Price: $4,500 - may also be interested in a nice '94/'95 W124 wagon - this, along with the paint, is my reason for selling. As much as I love this wagon, I loved my '95 even more & my Wife was happier to drive it on the occasion we needed to switch cars. I could add cash for the right W124. If I don't find the right buyer, I will most likely keep this car & re-paint it when I'm able.

PIX:

Last edited by drasp; 06-11-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: '81 230CE
I'll take that little 5-speed transmission off your hands if you like...

WTB:300D
1981 230CE - dd/work in progress
1983 300Dt - sold
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshW123 View Post
I'll take that little 5-speed transmission off your hands if you like...

Sure, no sweat! 5-Speed trans is $4499.99 - ships installed in a W123 wagon!!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love that car. If I were closer I'd be interested. I kick myself for passing on the last 230te I saw for sale. It was automatic. Had it been standard like this I would have bought it. Good luck with selling it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: '81 230CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drasp View Post
Sure, no sweat! 5-Speed trans is $4499.99 - ships installed in a W123 wagon!!!

?!?!

hahaa

In all seriousness though, drasp, I just picked up a 230CE. So I am not in the position to acquire an additional vehicle at the moment...I would like to be, but I am not.

Very pretty car and GLWS as well.

WTB:300D
1981 230CE - dd/work in progress
1983 300Dt - sold
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1978 280slc
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Thats a hell of a cool car, good luck with sale. I think the picture with the canoe on top is great.

Ich brauch Geld fur Gasolin, explosiv wie Kerosin, mit viel Octan und frei von Blei- Gib mir Benzin!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1989 560SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sent you a pm.

1951 Oldsmobile Restoration Blog: http://51olds98.blogspot.com/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 03:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 96 Saab 900S Conv., 01 BMW 330i, 05 MB C230, 07 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Looks just like my 200TE from way back when. Same color inside and out etc. Very nice!

GLWS!

1986 Honda V45 Magna
1991 MB 300CE
2001 BMW 330i
2005 MB C230K Sport
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 06:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 1980 230TE
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PM sent
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 85 300 TDT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 94Wagenmeister
Stalking you on this board as well...

Scott in MD/DC
85 TDT the "Blue Whale"
past: W124 wagon, W126, W202, W201, lotsa VDubs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in