BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercVette8800 View Post
Hi All:
No, I ain't even considering no $6k....... My asking price is a bargain for this unique example.
And it ain't no New Jersey car.....
She is an absolute knock-out!
Best, R
I am going to throw my 2 cents in. Not a buyer but the w126's are my favorite chassis and I am a big Wilt fan. I like the look of the car, the price is really not bad if you can provide the following:

1. Records-the more the better
2. At the current mileage, the timing chain needs to be addressed at the least. I would also check to see if it is time to do the top end. Some compression numbers would be good.
3. Paperwork showing it was Wilt's car. I do not know if him owning the car helps or not. It has been a few years since he was in the news. Hard to believe he has been gone so long already.

To be honest, I am glad you are on the other coast. I would be tempted if I were nearby. It is a very nice w126.

Best of luck with your sale.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1988 560SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Howdy:
She is a stunner & I agree that the 18" wheels & 225/255-40 tires belong somewhere else. My Master Plan (don't we all have those...) was to find the right 16's or so with decent sidewall tires and then adjust the suspension slightly to compliment...
R
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1988 560SL
(Thread Starter)
Hi Mike:
Appreciate your input.
I bought it from a real high roller in San Diego's Rancho Santa Fe if ya know the neighborhood. He is a friend of Wilt's, but it's just a story, I don't have any documentation.
Same for the car, I've heard this top-end thing & she's got the double chain, so maybe, maybe not. She's at 112k miles and runs real sweet.
For this kind of money, ya just don't get too worked up over it all. Drive it for however long ya care to, have a double-ton of fun with her, get asked about her from stunned folks EVERY time ya take her out, then sell her for about every nickel ya have in her!
I've never seen another like her in person.
Best, Randy
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1985 500SL - 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow Edition
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
Wow. Take a chill pill

Yes I do routinely ask people if they'll take an amount im willing to pay , even if its less than their asking price . Because if they are firm in the price , I'm not going to waste their time or my time flying to see it in person.

But if they are willing to come down to my price , which is the same price as the east coast car pictured , that's when I'll spend hundreds to fly out (or just send a transporter and buy it sight unseen ).

Hopefully that satisfied your need for me to explain my offer
Your response is just plain asinine. Of course we all do the same thing when we are buying a car. Its the etiquette challenged that think they can just throw out a number via text or over the internet without any prior inquiries and think its perfectly acceptable and a successful negotiation tactic.

Most people would want to know alot more about a vehicle before spitting out an offer. Has this car had the timing chain job done. Probably not? OK. Do you have complete service records? No, fine. How long have you had the car and what have you done to it? Not long and not much? OK. Before I would even think of making an offer in this scenario is seeing the car in person or paying for a PPI. Before I invest in that I might ask if the price is flexible based on the results of that inspection. Once I have a complete picture of the car based on in person or the PPI results and I can make an offer.

There are plenty of times where I make an offer in the first interaction almost always over the phone, but its after I've had a decent length conversation to feel out the seller and the car.

I've bought and sold 50+ Mercedes, many of which site unseen on both ends. When someone on a forum or off craigslist pulls what you do, I never take them seriously, always respond the price is firm. I give alot of consideration to my pricing, and people think a single text, email, whatever, asking. "will I take xxx. CASH" is going to pull any weight. It insults my intelligence.

Nobody in their right mind is going to respond well to a stranger who has done nothing but throw out a number way under their asking price just out of the blue.

Your buying tactic is idiotic. If he was originally asking $6000 he would of had a dozen inquiries within 24 hours. Posting it on a forum for all to see? Hell I would outbid you right now at $6500 if the car checks out. My cash is just as good as yours.

85 500SL: 1984 300SD: 190k 1997 S500: 226k
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Supreme Sandwich

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '08 BMW Z4 3.0si, '09 E350
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Gulf Breeze, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post
Your response is just plain asinine. Of course we all do the same thing when we are buying a car. Its the etiquette challenged that think they can just throw out a number via text or over the internet without any prior inquiries and think its perfectly acceptable and a successful negotiation tactic.

Most people would want to know alot more about a vehicle before spitting out an offer. Has this car had the timing chain job done. Probably not? OK. Do you have complete service records? No, fine. How long have you had the car and what have you done to it? Not long and not much? OK. Before I would even think of making an offer in this scenario is seeing the car in person or paying for a PPI. Before I invest in that I might ask if the price is flexible based on the results of that inspection. Once I have a complete picture of the car based on in person or the PPI results and I can make an offer.

There are plenty of times where I make an offer in the first interaction almost always over the phone, but its after I've had a decent length conversation to feel out the seller and the car.

I've bought and sold 50+ Mercedes, many of which site unseen on both ends. When someone on a forum or off craigslist pulls what you do, I never take them seriously, always respond the price is firm. I give alot of consideration to my pricing, and people think a single text, email, whatever, asking. "will I take xxx. CASH" is going to pull any weight. It insults my intelligence.

Nobody in their right mind is going to respond well to a stranger who has done nothing but throw out a number way under their asking price just out of the blue.

Your buying tactic is idiotic. If he was originally asking $6000 he would of had a dozen inquiries within 24 hours. Posting it on a forum for all to see? Hell I would outbid you right now at $6500 if the car checks out. My cash is just as good as yours.
Perhaps he's testing the resolve and honesty of the seller? For all we know this could be an elaborate, well-planned scam. If he'd publicly jumped on the $6k offer, that would already be a fishy sign.

So, a person's actions may not always be just what you see, perhaps there's more to it.

Clearly no one who's posted in this thread is as well versed in buying/selling as you are if everyone is supposed to have the same buying/selling etiquette as you've mentioned.

I wish people had the same driving etiquette as I do!

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE ~100k miles
'51 Euro 170S *Being reborn*
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport ~42k miles
'08 BMW Z4 3.0 si ~14.3k miles
'09 E350 ~51k miles
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8

~Josh
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 1981 500SE AMG
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerH860 View Post

u dont helicoppa liek me
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 96 Saab 900S Conv., 01 BMW 330i, 05 MB C230, 07 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Funny thread!

Well... At least OP doesn't have to bump his thread to keep it on top.

Oh... IMO, with the exception of the wheels, I think the car looks pretty good. My guess is that the price will be somewhere between OP's asking price and the price tusabes offered.

1986 Honda V45 Magna
1991 MB 300CE
2001 BMW 330i
2005 MB C230K Sport
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

Last edited by TexFinn; 04-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Get over yourself dude . You think i dont buy and sell too ? Why do you feel the need to criticize others? You aren't the definitive expert and I don't need your tips . my strategy works , thats why i use it. last car i got , the seller was asking $10k and i got it for $4900.

We all have different styles of making offers on cars. I don't like to waste people's time and I think sellers get annoyed with people like you asking a ton of questions then using that info to lowball them or walking away. So my style is to put the price in willing to move on the deal upfront , and if the seller is motivated then we can hash out the deal . I'm pricing it to take a risk - i assume that nothing has been maintained bc I trust no seller , there is no use for me to ask about maintenance history . I could care less what maintenance history it has , not going to affect my offer. Your imaginary offer of $6500 "assuming the car checks out and you like the answers to your detailed questions " is an illusory offer. I buy as is , sight unseen , no ppi , no hassles to the seller, which most sellers find much more attractive. theyd rather take a little less with no hassles , than try to get more to please the requirements of someone like you.

I also could care less if you feel insulted , since #1 you're not selling the car , and #2 your opinion means nothing to me . In fact , im glad you got all frustrated and insulted because now all the forum member see your true character And how you think you are better than everyone else. Either give the guy $6500 or shut up

Last edited by tusabes; 04-15-2013 at 01:11 PM.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Post This thread has become the Multi 21-gate of Benzworld!

(For those who don't know the reference: Webber vs. Vettel: Multi 21-gate | Rookie F1

Last edited by MarcDavidMiller; 04-15-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: To make it funnier
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1985 500SL - 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow Edition
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yeah I'm sure that's exactly how it happened. Asking $10,000. That $10,000 happens to be a reasonable asking price. You offer $4900 CASH, nothing else in your message. Seller immediately says yes and is happy to take your money. You ask no other pertinent questions and go off completely what's in the basic ad description. Turns out to be a nice car.

Seems really lucky to me. I would think less than 1% of the offers you send out in this fashion comes back with a yes, is not a scam, and the car arrives not being a complete basket case, but may be I'm missing something. This happens to you all the time? You never piss anyone off when you offer 1/3 to 1/2 off their asking price without even a hello?

You were making alot of assumptions about me. I have never had a seller who wanted to honestly represent their car get irritated when I ask them questions. That's ridiculous. I cannot have a very high opinion of myself as I chose to become a used car dealer. The amount of abuse I take on a daily basis keeps me pretty grounded. You just struck a nerve as I have a few people on the lot a week offer a fraction of my asking price CAAASSSHHH, and I can't get my broom fast enough.

I'll let you have the last word. This is my last post addressing you. Sorry for the trouble.

85 500SL: 1984 300SD: 190k 1997 S500: 226k

Last edited by TylerH860; 04-15-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in