This is my first post at benzworld. Before you dismiss this ad for that reason, please know that I have been an active member of the mercedesshop site (now peachparts.com) since I bought this car in 2006. Feel free to search my username there for my "Benz Cred."
The car has 256,866 miles on the odometer. I bought it on eBay from a reseller in Arizona. Based on the oil change stickers
in the door jamb, the car spent much of its life being serviced by MB of Beverly Hills. The car is currently converted to run on both diesel fuel and vegetable oil. However, I am willing to take out the veg system if you would like (for a small fee to cover my time). The veg system worked fantastically when I was working 25 miles from home. I was getting about 750 miles to the gallon of diesel. But, things changed and I took a job about 3 miles from my house Ė making the veg system basically useless to me for most of my driving.
Iíve done most of the work to the car myself. I am really fortunate to have a friend that owns a CarQuest store -- which meant that I could get the same parts the dealer gets for insanely low prices. I replaced just about everything I could get a wrench on. I have a stack of receipts that back up all the new parts listed below. Unfortunately, I have had new obligations in the last year that have prevented me from doing some basic work on the car and fixing some remaining issues. Theyíre all disclosed below.
The price is $2250.
Good things about the car:
- The car runs GREAT. Oodles of power.
- A long list of replaced parts. See below.
- Aside from chips in the paint, there is NO STRUCTURAL RUST on this car. The jack points (where most of the rust happens on these cars) are rust free.
- Iíve never touched the transmission. It has a very modest clunk on downshifts (common for these cars). But otherwise shifts perfectly. It hauls ass in overdrive.
- After a bunch of replacement parts, the suspension and brakes are fantastic.
- 3 of the 4 windows work. The 4th is a button issue and not a regulator. The sunroof works.
- The pneumatic system that controls the locks (and other things) works (knock on wood).
Not so good things about the car:
- The veg system is not working reliably now. The rubber hose that I used to plumb the vegetable oil system needs to be replaced. I was told I would only get a year out of the rubber hose before the VO began to degrade it to the point where air would get sucked into the fuel system. I managed to go about 3 years before it became problematic. If you are interested in replacing the hoses and running veg oil, I'm happy to provide free technical assistance for the life of the car!
- The car leaks about 3 tablespoons of oil every time you shut it off. The oil pan was taken off by a local repair guy and I suspect the problem lies with the gasket or bolts. It hadnít leaked prior to that repair.
- The steering wheel is slightly off-center. When I was replacing the steering lock mechanism, I had the steering wheel off. I rushed putting it back together and didnít get it lined up perfectly. Itís a simple fix.
- The dash finally cracked over the winter. It had been crack free until just recently.
- The passenger seat is torn up pretty good. The driver seat isnít nearly as bad.
- There are some chips in the paint that have begun to rust. The rear of the car was sprayed by someone prior to me (note the missing trunk badges).
- The antennae really wants to work, but it doesnít move. I have a feeling someone with a bit of time can lube it up and get it working again.
- The AC was converted to 134a, but it doesnít work anymore.
- The antilock dash light is on.
- The airbag light is on.
- The tach stopped working very recently.
New parts on the car
- A fully-rebuilt version 14 head is on the car. The original head failed (search my username for pics of the carnage). I bought a fully refurbished head from a shop out in CA and replaced the whole thing.
- Fuel injection lines (hard and fabric ones) are new
- Fuel injectors are all new
- Ball joints
- All 4 calipers
- Front shocks, plus all the bushings and portions of the steering rack
- Timing chain
- Steering pump was rebuilt and remains leak free
- Radio and rear speakers
- Engine mounts
- Key cylinder (new matching MB keys too)
- Hood pad
- Block heater cord
- Steering lock mechanism
- All glow plugs
In addition to the car, you get my entire collection of spare parts for the car. Not only things that were replaced but were still serviceable, but some new stuff that I havenít gotten around to installing.
And now the pictures: