Burl wood refinishing - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 1971 280 SL, 1994 sl320, 1970 280sl, 1984 Euro AMG 500sec solid lifter and AMG SPECIAL PROJECT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Burl wood refinishing

Just finished another set for a E34 BMW see last two photos after and before photos can do either a grey burl or a golden burl. Very reasonable. Turn around is approx 10 days. I have posted some pictures of a 560sec that was also done.

What I am offering is that I will imprint on your wood trim pieces either the grey burl look pattern or the tan/gold birds eye pattern. This is not refinishing the original wood for that I would suggest Heritage or Madera Concepts. What I will do is sand down the pieces and do my best to sand off any cracks and fill in any other imperfections. I will prime sand and paint 2 layers of the base coat. After imprinting I will apply 3 layers of high gloss non yellowing clear coat then sand with 1000 grade then 5 more layers of the non yellowing gloss clear. The parts then need to sit for a minimuim of 72 hours to dry. They will then be bubble wrapped and packet to be sent back. I estimate that the turn around time will be 10 days from when I receive the wooden pieces. THIS IS NOT A VINYL WRAP this is actually imprinting on the wood. Again I am not a professional but think that if you look at my results I can promise this level of quality or better. I have spent upwards of 30 hours and ruined a few hundred dollars worth of product and wood in learning to achieving these results. It is a steep learning curve but I have mastered this as you can see by my results. It made such a difference in my car and my friends. I am offering to do 6 sets of these (just enough to pay the rest for my recaro seats to be recovered). Questions please contact me at (630) 903-9877

I am happy to help talk you in how to get the wood pieces out of your car. I also used a aftermarket wood shifter because I cannot imprint soft plastic. I can get these for $68.00 each but need 14 days to get them, they come from overseas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WOOD 012a.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	500862   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOOD 015a.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	500865   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOOD 020a.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	500866   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOOD 008a.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	500867   Click image for larger version

Name:	121512 125a.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	500868  

Click image for larger version

Name:	121512 095a.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	500869   Click image for larger version

Name:	burl3.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	500870  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 560SL,380SL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I'm assuming that this is hydrographic printing. I did this last summer and I am very pleased with the results. This "looks" easy but is not cheap to do right, with clear, sanding, clear, buffing, and so on. And the automotive two-part clear is really toxic when sprayed. I have ax external air source and a full mask!

Homebrew MB First Gear Start!

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: