FS (fast hopefully): 1973 450sl on eBay - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
Take two: http://bit.ly/10GlmAr

Ebay item # 251275647746

Fixed a few things that I should have fixed before the first listing.
Bump for an auction that certainly went higher than I had expected. I have a local buyer who has agreed to buy it at a fair price if the auction winner doesn't follow through. I think I've got this baby sold.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
Bump for an auction that certainly went higher than I had expected. I have a local buyer who has agreed to buy it at a fair price if the auction winner doesn't follow through. I think I've got this baby sold.

Eating my words. I've had a $500 deposit for about three weeks now and for some reason the buyer could not produce cash or a certified check. So it's back up on eBay. I can't wait all summer for the guy to come up with the funds.

Mercedes-Benz : SL-Class Convertible in Mercedes-Benz | eBay Motors

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:49 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2012 Toyo Camry SE, 1987 420 SEL, 1982 300 CD (Gone but not forgotten)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brautiful example of an early 107

Fonzi, The SL is a beautiful example because of your hard work on this project. I hope it sells quickly (and fair $$ for you). Very nice car and very clean.
I'd love to have it but right now I can't even pay attention...lol..
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 161K miles; 1983 380SL (die Rostlaube), 238K miles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw benz View Post
I'd love to have it but right now I can't even pay attention...lol..
Seconded. I'd love to have an R107 in that kind of condition. I'd even consider buying this one without a prepurchase inspection.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
http://bit.ly/13MOMim

What a cluster fork.

Tonight I get a notice that my car sold, which to me only meant that someone clicked buy it now for $12,000. Huh??? So I had this second listing of the car under another category (ebay motors - other) so I could have an "make offer" button. So it turns out someone mysteriously won my car for $6655. Wtf? Did someone hack my ebay account? I had previously had to manually reject an offer for $7500. So having a $6656 offer automatically accepted made no sense. I hadn't altered the listing either.

So I immediately send the buyer a note saying that I did not agree to that number.

Then trying to figure out what happened, I hit the relist button and see it was set to automatically accept any offers over $13.50 and automatically reject any offers under $10. Something went haywire on ebay. I've noticed it before with the shipping weights, displaying shipping fees of $2000+ for a $2 item.

So now I will have to wait and hope the buyer in Utah doesn't try to make a stink about of this.

What a cluster fork.

Anyone want me to manage the sale of their car? LOL.

My signature:

Last edited by Fonzi; 06-19-2013 at 11:47 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2012 Toyo Camry SE, 1987 420 SEL, 1982 300 CD (Gone but not forgotten)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just SUX....

Fonzi sorry to hear about the cluster....Wish I had the $$ to swoop in and you could tell the guy in Utah it was listed locally and someone purchased it just before his offer took effect. Hope it doesn't get too messy. Just what you don't need.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
No contact from the guy at all other than max bidding the auction on the car after the cluster. I assume that I will just have to wait to get my ebay fees refunded at this point. (I even cancelled earlier/lower bids who i confirmed were not serious to assure the bid did not go up falsely for the car.). I guess the guy is either playing games with me or mad about the $6655 thing.

Since I sold the back seat (from the deposit guy saying he didn't want it) I'm now planning on buying SheppyMach's back seat so I can enjoy the car with kids in it a little this summer if the car never ends up selling. I've got to get it out locally with a FS sign top because it looks so darned good.

This looks like it is turning into an educational thread on how NOT to sell a car.

I will probably do new pics and videos eliminating any ambiguous items or references to non-stock components. (The 560sl air dam can be removed easily and nobody will really know that the better metal blower cover is not correct... If it isn't. Heck I don't even know what kind of blower cover an early 73 had.)

I'm working on a new description. Here's where I am right now. ( start in next post.)

My signature:
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ready to drive anywhere. The most attractive version of this long run of the Mercedes-Benz r107 with the small bumpers as the car was originally designed, contoured front turn signals and vertical bumper guards paying tribute to the Pagoda SL.

Beautiful 1973 450sl with shiny black new-looking paint and a nearly flawless red interior with antique-style orange piping that contrasts the body amazingly. This is a very rare color combination. The seats and dash have no rips, cracks or damage whatsoever. The entire interior appears flawless, as you would expect from a collector condition Mercedes Benz.

I am only selling because I purchased a convertible that can seat three kids in the back.

My mechanic (who has restored a few Mercedes) verified that the car looks like a 70,000 mile car which was garage kept its whole life (and through my ownership). The odometer has always worked normally and the steering wheel appeared to have never been removed before I attempted to replace the instrument cluster gasket. So I am very confident that the mileage is correct.

RUST FREE with the exception of some very small bubbles on the bottom edge of the trunk lid under the paint (not broken through and been there as long as I have owned it). I found the cause of the water infiltration into the trunk lid via the 450sl badge which did not have the required rubber washers on two of the three badge pins. I installed the correct rubber washers and added silicone sealant too. No further water should get into the trunk lid and the rust progression in this trunk lid appears to be very slow or non existent. Trunk lids are easy to come by for these cars so there is no need to repair the small bubble contained to the trunk lid. Repairing them would require paint work, and this car has no blended paint and does not need a full paint job. So the decision has been made to leave the rust bubbles alone. If they were to turn into rot, the whole rink lid could be replaced easily and economically. As you can see from the extensive work on this car, the decision to not grind out the rust or replace the trunk lid and replace it is not a cost-cutting measure, but a decision to keep the paint as high-quality as possible without blending paint which would be required to attend to these small bubbles.

Work done in the last 3000 miles includes:
- timing chain
- timing chain tensioner
- metal-backed timing chain guides inspected ok
- new intake manifold gaskets
- new injector seals
- new fuel hoses
- new brake hoses
- new rear sway bar links
- new front sway bar links
- new motor mounts
- new control arm bushings
- new tie rod
- new front subframe bushings
- new control arm bushings
- new shocks
- new front wheel bearings
- new air conditioning compressor pulley
- waterproofed soft top which appears original
- Adjusted hardtop rear lock release cable (which is often responsible for hard tops getting stuck on these cars)
- Air conditioning vacuum tested for 72 hours (never losing any vacuum at all) and recharged and blowing as cold as 42 degrees F.
- new distributor cap and rotor
- new spark plug wires
- new spark plugs
- new ignition points
- new radiator / coolant hoses
- new aux air valve hose and gasket
- new shifter bushing
- new throttle linkage bushings
- new coolant just prior to 70,000 miles
- oil change and filter just prior to 70,000 miles.
- thorough full body rust inspection and treatment of minor surface rust found in the rectangular area on the passenger side of the trunk.

The tires, while not new, have plenty of tread and have no dry rot or cracking. The tires have never needed any significant air. They have no flat spots and ride smooth with no vibration. (I have several more sporty wheels for this car if the buyer is interested in purchasing them.). The car also come with four paint-free hubcaps since the black hubcaps on the car could use repainting.

The car was in an accident at some point, I was told by the previous owner that it was before he purchased it in ~1998. The radiator support appears to have been replaced, but the car tracks straight and has not needed any realignment in the 2.5 years since the alignment was done after the front suspension was all redone with new bushings and shocks.

I recommend coming to see the car in person but believe that any long distance purchaser would be very happy with the car.

My signature:

Last edited by Fonzi; 06-22-2013 at 12:18 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:51 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1982 500 SEL 126 V8 Euro Model; Engine type: 117961; tranmission: 722350
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It's a beauty! hard to find early 107's in that condition. GLWS.
BTW do you have a spare 107 sunvisor clip in black?
Thanks.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukamb View Post
It's a beauty! hard to find early 107's in that condition. GLWS.
BTW do you have a spare 107 sunvisor clip in black?
Thanks.
Thanks.

Sorry I don't have any extra sun visor clips. In fact I need a pair for my SLC Convertible. When I get this 1973 gone I might get working on that one.

My signature:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in