Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 CLK500 w/23K !
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
FS 1993 400e 123,000 miles, Cali car in great shape

1993 400e for sale in SoCal - Cali car in nice shape
After 4+ years I have moved to another series of MB.

The 400e has served me well but I need to sell it to pay some bills.

It is cosmetically in nice shape. Spent most of it's years in a garage in the Palisades and here in Hollywood. So, no sun damage to rubber or paint. The only reason that it is now on the street is that I bought a different MB and it is now in the garage where this one spent last 4 years. Has a couple minor dents that could probably get yanked out by one of those paintless dent removal guys. Sunroof was recently dented by some crack head morons but opens closes fine.

I just had Johann's do a compete front & rear brake service.

Many of the W124 issues have already been dealt with in the 4 years I have had car.

1. Transmission completely rebuilt.
2. New OEM motor mounts
3. New OEM Fan Clutch
4. New front flex disc (didn't actually need it, so I still have original as spare)
5. New wiring harness (used one, but made long after MB switched to real wire, have used one as well)
6. New driver's window regulator
7. New front brake rotors
8. New cap & rotors (distributor)
9. New Goodyear 215 tires in last 5K miles.
10. Has the 1992 ECU for an extra splurt of gas at WOT. Good for 7-15hp. (have '93 ECU as backup)
11. Added the Rainbow front speakers in dash, much nicer high frequencies. ($300)
12. Has keyless entry with 2 clickers. Flashes lights but no chirping.
13. Power Steering pump was rebuilt due to leaking. No leaks at all now.
14. ETA replaced with newer one, runs solid and starts easily.

It is black with black leather, no ASR. It has spent it's whole life in SoCal. Clean Title. AC works. It is a R134a car from the get go, so nice & easy to deal with. Seats have very minor cracks, etc but no tears. Armrest decent. I took out the console clutter box and restored it.

Still has original rims and owners manual book, etc. 3 Keys all work on all the locks, etc. Spare in new, unused condition with matching rim.

Drives incredibly smoothly, quite powerful car and very solid over bumps. Life here in SoCal means it has no corrosion, no salt damage, and most metal looks nearly new.

123,500 miles. Passed SMOG in June with flying colors. The power antenae does not work. The headliner is losing it's fight with gravity and will need to be dealt with before it falls completely. The Oil Pressure gauge fluctuates when it is cold but is fine once warm, I believe it may just need a new sender. The Sound System is original Becker, sounds fine when used with a Cassette adapter and an iPod or iPhone, though you have to wiggle the tape adapter sometimes.

This car is best on the freeway, where it has gotten 29 MPG while going 80+ MPH up the 5 past Grapevine. Around LA it gets considerably less of course. But on freeway it is solid and quiet, cruise control works perfectly. Power seats & memory work just fine too. Seats are insanely comfortable and have remarkably little wear for being 19 years old.

The doors have that bank vault close sound that makes you want to close them again just to hear it.

Car is available to be seen & tested in Hollywood, near Runyon. You are welcome to arrange an inspection in LA area as long as you pay for it.

The KeyLess Entry is a very nice touch but if you forget and use the key it gets "un-synced" and you will need to reset it by disconnecting battery for 5 seconds or so.

I feel sick about letting this car go, I would give it to my parents, but they live in Buffalo and rear wheel drive with No ASR would be pretty useless to them unfortunately. I have spent my 4 years tracking down problems and making this car better than when I bought it. I am going to list it on CL for $3,200 but will take less from a forum member here. I would love to see it go to someone here who wants to continue keeping it up instead of some poser who just wants to buy a Mercedes for peanuts and drive it into the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1325.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	493947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	493948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	493949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	493950  
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: