post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1971 280SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1971 280SEL W108

Hi all, listing this for my father, car is located in Terrytown, La. (15min. across MS River from N.O.). The car has not been driven in a few years, the rear axle boot split and it was parked awaiting repair. During that time my father would start it and then the fuel pump went out he believes as it would start with some gas added at the carb. Next the shift rod going from the shift lever into the trans snapped when he was shifting to N to move the car. These are too many problems for him to fix at this point and he is ready to sell the car as he hates to see it just sit. It has been passed between he and 2 of his brothers over the years, he was told it was a gray market car brought into Tx. and that there were not that many SEL's brought over but i don't know how factual that is.

It has the 2.8L engine, auto trans and hang in A/C. The car would make a good parts car as the chrome is in good condition and the body panels are fair. There is surface rust on the drivers fender, looks like the spot where most of the 'bend over the fender' maintenance was done. With some work the car could also be a driver again. Interior is in fair shape for a 40+yr. old car, the sunroof seal needs to be replaced as he has to keep a tarp over it or the rain will run in through the sunroof. There is plenty of back seat leg room as the 'L' is the long version of the SE. The front grille and headlights are impressive and I have lost my share of hair/scalp on that sharp hood when open. Sorry, I did not get any pics with the hood up last time I was there but can get someone to take more pics as requested.

He would really like to see this car saved or go to someone who could use the parts to restore another SE/SEL as he enjoyed tooling around in it years past. Speedo shows 58,390. Please email me and I can put you in contact with him if you are interested Jon - jkoed@bellsouth.net.
He is asking $1500 OBO.
Thanks, Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	493679   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2102.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	493680   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2096.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	493681   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2088.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	493682   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2086.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	493683  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2092.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	493684   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2094.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	493685  

Last edited by 71 280SEL; 02-03-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: