WTB: W201 190E/190D - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
WTB: W201 or W124

Hello all,

As the title states, I'm looking for W201 or W124 (updated models below). I'm in the Chicago area (but I'm willing to travel) and I'm open on price.

Let me know what you have.

Thanks.

EDIT: After reading more posts, I'm opening to the following vehicles (Auto only):
190E/190D
300E/300D
E420/400E
300CE

Last edited by ToW201orNot; 01-13-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Changed what vehicles i'm looking
ToW201orNot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bump.
ToW201orNot is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bump
ToW201orNot is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
goducks124's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2000 ML 55 AMG, 1991 190E 2.6l
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how interested are you

What are you looking to spend???

My son is thinking about selling his 1991 190e 2.6 with about 146k on it. For a 20 year old vehicle its in pretty darn good shape. I emphasized to him when he was looking for a vehicle that the Benz, if he treated it right, it could last for hundreds of thousands of miles. He just replaced the muffler and it needs new struts and strut mounts. We have had a MB mechanic check it out and the engine is in great shape. The body has a few dings and dents. The mechanic commented that the previous owner (original owner) took good care of the car and had maintained it well. My son is realizing that putting quality products on the vehicle can be expensive. He can't afford it.

Let me know if you are curious...
goducks124 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks124 View Post
What are you looking to spend???

My son is thinking about selling his 1991 190e 2.6 with about 146k on it. For a 20 year old vehicle its in pretty darn good shape. I emphasized to him when he was looking for a vehicle that the Benz, if he treated it right, it could last for hundreds of thousands of miles. He just replaced the muffler and it needs new struts and strut mounts. We have had a MB mechanic check it out and the engine is in great shape. The body has a few dings and dents. The mechanic commented that the previous owner (original owner) took good care of the car and had maintained it well. My son is realizing that putting quality products on the vehicle can be expensive. He can't afford it.

Let me know if you are curious...
I may be interested, however, where is the car located? Are you in Oregon? If so, that wouldn't work unfortunately as I'm in Chicago.
ToW201orNot is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bump; edited first post and expanded what vehicles I'm interested in.
ToW201orNot is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Supreme Sandwich
 
VaiFanatic's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '08 BMW Z4 3.0si, '09 E350
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Gulf Breeze, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Posts: 7,946
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
If you're looking for a W201, you'll be looking for a long while. I've been looking for the last four years. Found some potential ones that all turned out to be disappointing when seen in person. There was another potential candidate a while back, but the seller didn't want to come down on the price (wasn't even a low-ball offer) so I passed. A good thing too as it turned out to have some issues that could have turned out to be expensive.

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE ~100k miles
'51 Euro 170S *Being reborn*
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport ~42k miles
'08 BMW Z4 3.0 si ~14.3k miles
'09 E350 ~51k miles
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8

~Josh
VaiFanatic is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaiFanatic View Post
If you're looking for a W201, you'll be looking for a long while. I've been looking for the last four years. Found some potential ones that all turned out to be disappointing when seen in person. There was another potential candidate a while back, but the seller didn't want to come down on the price (wasn't even a low-ball offer) so I passed. A good thing too as it turned out to have some issues that could have turned out to be expensive.
Interesting. I haven't heard anyone say that quite yet. It's only been a couple weeks thus far so I'm willing to hold out. I'm also open to W124s, an E420 sounds tasty but those are even harder to come by, at least around me.
ToW201orNot is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Supreme Sandwich
 
VaiFanatic's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '08 BMW Z4 3.0si, '09 E350
Location: San Antonio, Texas/Gulf Breeze, Florida/Neustadt a.d. Aisch, Deutschland
Posts: 7,946
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToW201orNot View Post
Interesting. I haven't heard anyone say that quite yet. It's only been a couple weeks thus far so I'm willing to hold out. I'm also open to W124s, an E420 sounds tasty but those are even harder to come by, at least around me.
I used to have an '89 2.6 back in Germany that had an LSD and getrag put in by the original owner. We couldn't take it back to the states, so we left it with my uncle there, who drove the car to oblivion back in 2008. Since then, I've been on the lookout for a car that was as nice as that one was.

I don't want an auto either, it has to be manual, and I don't want to go through the effort of swapping gearboxes, because chances are, that's not all I'm fixing. People buy and abuse these cars, so the mint-creampuffs are becoming nearly nonexistent, and when they do exist, they're halfway around the globe or the seller is a jerk.

I was looking at doing an M104 swap to that '89 had it survived, as there were plenty of donor W124s around for the motor, but that never came to fruition. W124s are great, but if I were to look for one, I'd just go specifically for the 500E/E500.

'85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
'84 Euro 500SE ~100k miles
'51 Euro 170S *Being reborn*
'97 Jeep Wrangler Sport ~42k miles
'08 BMW Z4 3.0 si ~14.3k miles
'09 E350 ~51k miles
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9L Magnum V8

~Josh
VaiFanatic is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bump.
ToW201orNot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome