1967 W113 250SL for sale (MA) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 1967 W113 250SL (4-speed), 1999 W210 E300, just purchased (10/1990) W126 420SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1967 W113 250SL for sale (MA)

Hey all,

I'm more of a passive user on this website, and I utilize all of the great information that there is to offer on here.

For starters, I'm 17 years old (yea yea I know) and live in MA. My father purchased his first Mercedes-Benz right around my birth, either when I was very young, or maybe not even born yet. It was a W126 420SEL, champagne with the timeless burgundy interior. I love recalling my first memory, of the car, pulling on the gear shifter (pre-brake pedal release) and putting the car in neutral. The car started to roll down the hill of the Friendly's parking lot, with the 3 year old me rolling down with it. Dad ran from the ice cream window, to jump into the car and stop it.

After this, he wanted to buy another used Mercedes, a W140 I think. Upon the decision to sell the W126, my mother suggested that he buy a new car instead of used. He went with a 1999 E300 DT, and what a great choice. I remember sitting in the driveway with momma waiting until he pulled in with the car he just drove an hour and a half from the Providence dealership with. We loved the car, and together we took so many trips. He would pick me up early in school and everyone would think i was cool, with the license plate "DADDIO" (our real last name) on either end. The black was supreme looking, and it felt like the last real Daimler-Benz made car that there was. Had the modern, and the classic. The elegance, and the simplicity.

A few years later, he found a 250SL needing a restoration, in a mechanic's back yard. He made an offer, and took the car home. Over the course of roughly half a year, the car was restored back to a respectable Benz. The paint was impeccable, like glass. Chrome parts were replaced if necessary, from Miller's Mercedes one of the Carolinas, leaving some original pieces for originality. I love the car, and mom made me wear a helmet when I drove in it with dad...like that would help. I remember going to the body shop every week or two, seeing the progress, and helping the workers by handing tools, and the like. I loved Mercedes-Benz from then on.

As I began grade school, and grew up a little, my parents began having some problems. Long story short, they separated and divorced, and I lost the comfortable family middle class living style that I knew nothing other than. The classic married middle class business man that my dad once was began to depreciate down to where we are now. He worked for his company for a few more years, than switched to a new stock brokering company. He left there to work at Citizen's Bank, and after a couple of years, moved to work with a small stock business that his college friend and his father started. When the recession got, they downsized and sad lost his job, severing their friendship, and beginning day's unemployment. Although it sounds weird for me to say, my dad had always lived pretty comfortably his whole adult life. He always had a decent car, from a Scirocco, to a e28 533is, to an e36 328i, to the Benzes. He saw his fellow college pals all continue to be very successful to this day, and he seems to be the only one that has struggled. He had to leave all his clients behind when'd mother wanted us to move (1997) to MA to be close to her parents.

Now unemployed for over two years, he is about to lose his home, an ordinary cape that he built about 5 years ago when he was still loving comfortably. He's living on credit cards, and bottom line, the SL has to go. He's always said how it has to be sold, last summer he brought it to my mother's and my house (where he used to live) for us to keep in the driveway on route 123, for thousands of people to see. This past summer, same thing: dropped it off in June, and picked it up in September. Obviously, it didn't sell, mostly because I never put the thing out. I never wanted to get rid of it. I drove it illegally two summers ago before I had my license, and this summer, breaking no legal rules, just my dad's trust, should he have found out about it. I would get in the car, put my Mercedes-Benz sweatshirt on, and find the spirited back roads of my suburban town, where I would feel like I was in Germany, at the peak of the Company's success and reputation. I got my first cad, a W126 420SEL, black on black, this past July. Yea I'm a teenager, but I've done everything it's needed since my ownership myself. Whether it was the mono valve, a sliding jaw, a repaired antenna, trunk light seals, idle actuator, and soon to be brake pads and some front end suspension work, I enjoy the hell out of doing it. When I first got the car, and the problems were brought to light, I had already known the solution, from years of research since middle school of various MB models, hoping to own one when I got my license. I did, and I'm tied to the company for life. Every time I talk about cars my dad tells me stop because he doesn't want to hear it, but I know it's really because he isn't the man he used to be, and he says constantly that he can't believe at one point in his life could he afford a Mercedes-Benz. Now he's baffled at the thought of a new Ford Taurus. It took me 8 months after I got my license to find the car I wanted to pull the trigger on, and went for it. I'm so happy u ended up with a pre-merger car, not to mention of of the most appreciated models (W126 chassis as a whole). At the expense of my early high school grades, I researched all I could about the most in depth, pointless things there was to know about many different MB cars, from W116's to W210, and could rattle off all of the common problems for most all cars between them. I would correct car dealers when they said that the locks were electronic, insisting that they were based on a system of vacuums.

There's too much about the company that's vested in me, so I'm going to try to stop here. Bottom line is that the car is for sale, and I have to cope with hopefully parting with the car, so my dad can live a few more months in his house before he becomes what he tells me (and he tells me never to tell my sister) is next; that he'll be homeless.

For those who do not know all that much about the model:

• It's one of approximately roughly 5,000
• This one's a 4-speed
• Mechanically fuel-injected
• Was repainted original color
• Has original seats, with new interior carpeting
• Original soft top, with hard top that was repainted along with the car.
• Almost 168,000 miles.
• Nairobi or Nairodi (can't remember the name) three point burl wooden steering wheel, seen occasionally in W113 cars.
• Does have a small transmission fluid leak that I was told could be due to an ill-fitted hose clamp.
• The transmission suddenly became very loose shifting, in what our trustworthy mechanic told us was just a simple transmission bearing.
• Suffers small scale from vapor lock, when a semi warm engine has just a little trouble starting, a rough brining idle, that promptly evens out after a few quick revs.
• Clutch is tight

Please post asking all the questions that I inevitably left out. More picture to flow when I get on my computer.

Also, I'm sorry for telling the questionably unnecessary story to you all, but I just want any potential future owners of this car the history and sentimental value which it is supported by.

For those of you who read this promptly, I'll have pictures on within a few hours, once I get to my computer.

Thank you all,

Joseph N. Daddio III

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Daddio

W113 (1967) 250SL
W126 (10/1990) 420SEL ***just purchased!***
W210 (1999) E300 turbodiesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1967 W113 250SL (4-speed), 1999 W210 E300, just purchased (10/1990) W126 420SEL
(Thread Starter)
https://picasaweb.google.com/1014846...CJu4y-uElunccQ

This link will bring you to an online album that I just created, and will add photos too if a specific visual question is asked, etc.

Thanks, and god bless.

Daddio

W113 (1967) 250SL
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1984 500SEC Euro: Midnight Blue w/ Cream Interior
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
A nice read, buddy. Not an unnecessary story at all. Beautiful car as well.

Wishing you and your family the best of luck.

(Nardi is the name of the steering wheel manufacturer. A very nice steering wheel at that)

Last edited by Mr. T From SD; 12-11-2012 at 09:47 PM.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 AM

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 SL View Post
Hey all,

I'm more of a passive user on this website, and I utilize all of the great information that there is to offer on here.

For starters, I'm 17 years old (yea yea I know) and live in MA. My father purchased his first Mercedes-Benz right around my birth, either when I was very young, or maybe not even born yet. It was a W126 420SEL, champagne with the timeless burgundy interior. I love recalling my first memory, of the car, pulling on the gear shifter (pre-brake pedal release) and putting the car in neutral. The car started to roll down the hill of the Friendly's parking lot, with the 3 year old me rolling down with it. Dad ran from the ice cream window, to jump into the car and stop it.

After this, he wanted to buy another used Mercedes, a W140 I think. Upon the decision to sell the W126, my mother suggested that he buy a new car instead of used. He went with a 1999 E300 DT, and what a great choice. I remember sitting in the driveway with momma waiting until he pulled in with the car he just drove an hour and a half from the Providence dealership with. We loved the car, and together we took so many trips. He would pick me up early in school and everyone would think i was cool, with the license plate "DADDIO" (our real last name) on either end. The black was supreme looking, and it felt like the last real Daimler-Benz made car that there was. Had the modern, and the classic. The elegance, and the simplicity.

A few years later, he found a 250SL needing a restoration, in a mechanic's back yard. He made an offer, and took the car home. Over the course of roughly half a year, the car was restored back to a respectable Benz. The paint was impeccable, like glass. Chrome parts were replaced if necessary, from Miller's Mercedes one of the Carolinas, leaving some original pieces for originality. I love the car, and mom made me wear a helmet when I drove in it with dad...like that would help. I remember going to the body shop every week or two, seeing the progress, and helping the workers by handing tools, and the like. I loved Mercedes-Benz from then on.

As I began grade school, and grew up a little, my parents began having some problems. Long story short, they separated and divorced, and I lost the comfortable family middle class living style that I knew nothing other than. The classic married middle class business man that my dad once was began to depreciate down to where we are now. He worked for his company for a few more years, than switched to a new stock brokering company. He left there to work at Citizen's Bank, and after a couple of years, moved to work with a small stock business that his college friend and his father started. When the recession got, they downsized and sad lost his job, severing their friendship, and beginning day's unemployment. Although it sounds weird for me to say, my dad had always lived pretty comfortably his whole adult life. He always had a decent car, from a Scirocco, to a e28 533is, to an e36 328i, to the Benzes. He saw his fellow college pals all continue to be very successful to this day, and he seems to be the only one that has struggled. He had to leave all his clients behind when'd mother wanted us to move (1997) to MA to be close to her parents.

Now unemployed for over two years, he is about to lose his home, an ordinary cape that he built about 5 years ago when he was still loving comfortably. He's living on credit cards, and bottom line, the SL has to go. He's always said how it has to be sold, last summer he brought it to my mother's and my house (where he used to live) for us to keep in the driveway on route 123, for thousands of people to see. This past summer, same thing: dropped it off in June, and picked it up in September. Obviously, it didn't sell, mostly because I never put the thing out. I never wanted to get rid of it. I drove it illegally two summers ago before I had my license, and this summer, breaking no legal rules, just my dad's trust, should he have found out about it. I would get in the car, put my Mercedes-Benz sweatshirt on, and find the spirited back roads of my suburban town, where I would feel like I was in Germany, at the peak of the Company's success and reputation. I got my first cad, a W126 420SEL, black on black, this past July. Yea I'm a teenager, but I've done everything it's needed since my ownership myself. Whether it was the mono valve, a sliding jaw, a repaired antenna, trunk light seals, idle actuator, and soon to be brake pads and some front end suspension work, I enjoy the hell out of doing it. When I first got the car, and the problems were brought to light, I had already known the solution, from years of research since middle school of various MB models, hoping to own one when I got my license. I did, and I'm tied to the company for life. Every time I talk about cars my dad tells me stop because he doesn't want to hear it, but I know it's really because he isn't the man he used to be, and he says constantly that he can't believe at one point in his life could he afford a Mercedes-Benz. Now he's baffled at the thought of a new Ford Taurus. It took me 8 months after I got my license to find the car I wanted to pull the trigger on, and went for it. I'm so happy u ended up with a pre-merger car, not to mention of of the most appreciated models (W126 chassis as a whole). At the expense of my early high school grades, I researched all I could about the most in depth, pointless things there was to know about many different MB cars, from W116's to W210, and could rattle off all of the common problems for most all cars between them. I would correct car dealers when they said that the locks were electronic, insisting that they were based on a system of vacuums.

There's too much about the company that's vested in me, so I'm going to try to stop here. Bottom line is that the car is for sale, and I have to cope with hopefully parting with the car, so my dad can live a few more months in his house before he becomes what he tells me (and he tells me never to tell my sister) is next; that he'll be homeless.

For those who do not know all that much about the model:

• It's one of approximately roughly 5,000
• This one's a 4-speed
• Mechanically fuel-injected
• Was repainted original color
• Has original seats, with new interior carpeting
• Original soft top, with hard top that was repainted along with the car.
• Almost 168,000 miles.
• Nairobi or Nairodi (can't remember the name) three point burl wooden steering wheel, seen occasionally in W113 cars.
• Does have a small transmission fluid leak that I was told could be due to an ill-fitted hose clamp.
• The transmission suddenly became very loose shifting, in what our trustworthy mechanic told us was just a simple transmission bearing.
• Suffers small scale from vapor lock, when a semi warm engine has just a little trouble starting, a rough brining idle, that promptly evens out after a few quick revs.
• Clutch is tight

Please post asking all the questions that I inevitably left out. More picture to flow when I get on my computer.

Also, I'm sorry for telling the questionably unnecessary story to you all, but I just want any potential future owners of this car the history and sentimental value which it is supported by.

For those of you who read this promptly, I'll have pictures on within a few hours, once I get to my computer.

Thank you all,

Joseph N. Daddio III

quoted for posterity...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I know that the post is long, but I want to stress that first things first: the car needs to be sold. Anyone remotely interested please reply, private message, or something. Are the pictures working by the way?

Daddio

W113 (1967) 250SL
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1979 450SL; 1973 280SE 4.5; 1986 420 SEL(SOLD)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Price???
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
There currently is no eBay listing, will be In the near future though

Daddio

W113 (1967) 250SL
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Also, please message for things like prices, only because I'd like to avoid any criticism that could possibly be scraped up by someone, and it'll keep communications with me to members with serious intentions. Thanks.

Daddio

W113 (1967) 250SL
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Send a message via MSN to bayhas Send a message via Yahoo to bayhas
PM me, if we can work out a deal, I dont mind owning this baby for a while, and sell it back to you, when you're ready to buy it back...

Garage:

Mercedes-Benz, W140 S Class S320 (AKA 300SE)

Mercedes-Benz, R230 SL Class SL55 (///AMG)

Mercedes-Benz, X164 GL CLass GL450

Triumph Daytona 955i

Former Mercs:
R129 SL Class SL500 (passed on) - W163 M Class ML430 Designo (for sale) - W140 S Class 500SEL(sold) - W140 S Class S320(sold) - W140 S Class S500(sold) - W140 S Class 500SEL(sold) - W201 190E 2.3(sold)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: W114/115 220d (1972) [sold] and W123 300tdt (1984) and two L406DG's (1967)
One in a million!

Bravo bayhas!

Your response perfectly addresses the situation that created the purchase opportunity on the 250sl.

What an eloquent way to say, "Yeah, I'll take it off your hands and park it at my place for a while. When you're ready to get it back it'll be there for you."

In any language, yours is a very classy move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in