1987 300d - $2500 - opinions on this deal please! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1987 300d - $2500 - opinions on this deal please!

Hi, I'm a newb but love the diesel 123 - had one 5 years ago for that threw a tranny and I sold it cheap. This 124 is up for sale that I am considering buying.

The good: all new:
rebuild transmission
radiator
flywheel
battery
glow plugs
alternator
tires
no rust
Runs okay, started right up, no shimmies, shakes, fairly quiet, good acceleration, smooth ride. did not diesel when shutting off. A/C okay
Car Fax says it's a clean title, no odo probs.

The bad: overall minimal maintenance by this owner of 2years, inside and out dirty, neglected paint, odo stopped at 170k (owner says it stopped on him when he disconnected the cruise control), now the odo, tach, and speedometer are not working. Sunroof is stuck closed due to a switch problem. 1 small ding in left rear fender, 1 on R-side pulled out by hand.

Your opinions on this deal please! I am a minimal mechanic and can do some of the repairs with guidance on this site. Thank you in advance for your 2cents here. Thx, Clyde.

Last edited by clydeblair@hotmail.com; 10-22-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Pictures of the 1987 300D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3G13M33Jb5I85Gf5F4cah6d868c84a06a1c73.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	475113   Click image for larger version

Name:	3Gf3Ia3N55Ia5He5Mccah4a7ca850b4901c22.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	475114   Click image for larger version

Name:	3K33I43J25N45M85J3cah1a26010434af1c87.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	475115   Click image for larger version

Name:	3n33F93Jc5K25H75J4cahe5b79c3157bf1851.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	475116  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: Baby Benz Diesel
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It looks decent, it's really hard to find 87 300D selling for that cheap any more. If you love the W123, you gonna love W124 even more, better looking with european headlights, and better interior.

1987 190DT
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It has an updated dash, so maybe somebody has been in there to replace the vacuum pods, heater core or AC evaporator. With very little info upon which to base an assessment, I'd say it looks to be a ballpark $2500 car. You should be prepared to throw another $1k at it post purchase...just to be safe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
$1000 - I figured that, especially because the sunroof is stuck slightly open and the seller says it's a switch, I read that the sunroof can be $1000 to fix in some cases. He also said a potential buyer tried to tell him it was leaking oil and had pulled some some tubes out of the front of the engine on a test drive(dunno which ones they could be) he said he hooked them up ok, but overall it's a bit sketchy because of the odo and tach and RPM gauges not working. I have no idea what it will cost to bring this baby back to fully functioning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
It has an updated dash, so maybe somebody has been in there to replace the vacuum pods, heater core or AC evaporator. With very little info upon which to base an assessment, I'd say it looks to be a ballpark $2500 car. You should be prepared to throw another $1k at it post purchase...just to be safe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 04:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: money pits of various forms
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to winmutt Send a message via MSN to winmutt
Sunroof shouldnt cost you more than $100 to fix but might require ALOT of time (why I ahvent fixed mine yet). Its most likely the stiwtch but such a simple fix....

$2500 sounds good, LOVE the color combo. The rear end is expensive to fix if you have someone else do it. Did it wander at all on the road?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
It tracked pretty straight, braked straight too. Thx for the info on the sunroof. I am skitterish about this deal because of the seller, He said he did some of the work himself, but did not know much about the car or why he didn't bother to try to fix the easy stuf if it was just a switch etc., and I definitely don't like the odo/instrument cluster not working. I think I would pay more for a 123 or 124 that has all records and been gone thru already and shows obvious care. I think I'll pass on this deal. Thx again for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmutt View Post
Sunroof shouldnt cost you more than $100 to fix but might require ALOT of time (why I ahvent fixed mine yet). Its most likely the stiwtch but such a simple fix....

$2500 sounds good, LOVE the color combo. The rear end is expensive to fix if you have someone else do it. Did it wander at all on the road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in