post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FOR SALE: 1973 MERCEDES-BENZ 450SE — 164,000 miles

Hi, Everyone,

This fine automobile gets compliments wherever I park it for its classic styling and Mercedes' unique Maple Yellow (#606) color. I am told it was the first modern sport performance sedan ever manufactured under any marque, and for that reason it was distinguished as the 1973 International Car of the Year. It was the inspiration for the BMW performance touring cars that didn't come to market until 15 years later. I love this car, but I can no longer keep a garage for it and I need to find it an appreciative owner and good home.

My father was a master mechanic and its original owner. He fussed over this car for 159,000 miles until he was no longer able to drive, at which time it was put into storage. I have recently prepared the car for sale. It has been mechanically restored with all original parts except as noted below. The following documented items are new within the last 5,000 miles:
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Chain Tensioner
  • Camshaft and Rocker Arms
  • Reconditioned Engine Computer
  • 8 Injectors
  • Blow Switch
  • Trigger Points
  • Spark Plugs
  • Airtex Fuel Pump
  • Cold Start Valve Complete Exhaust System
  • Water Pump
  • Hood Release Cable
  • Battery
  • 4 Firestone FT70C Tires
  • Brake Hoses
  • Fuel Filter & Strainer

Except for 3 years, the car has been garaged for its entire life. The paint and trim are original, attractive, and in very good condition. There is very little rust except a rust-through in the right rear trunk well, and very small spots where the paint is chipped. The car was never driven in snow or salt. It has never been in an accident, but it did have some very minor body work from a parking mishap that caused the bumper to damage the space just under the left rear tail lamp assembly. With the exception of some clefts in the dashboard and wood, the interior appears quite new. The black MB-Tex seats show no wear, the upholstery is virtually flawless, and the black carpets and original gray floor mats are very clean except for heel wear on the driver's mat. All electrical devices are operational.

The original documents, as well as the official Mercedes-Benz maintenance manuals will be included with the sale. I also can include a pair of sheepskin seat/headrest covers, but they show some signs of fading. You might also like to have a zero-mile $700.00 Bosch fuel pump that has a faulty relief valve that might be easily repaired.

While the car is a beauty and runs like new, there are a few items that a collector might wish to undertake:
  • Clean engine compartment, polish valve covers, paint air cleaner
  • Replace missing hood insulation
  • Re-terminate 2 small engine compartment electrical plugs
  • Remove after market cruise control
  • Replace lamp holder behind instrument panel
  • Replace parking brake release knob
  • Replace universal joint
  • Replace manual antenna with automatic
  • Replace left headlight plastic trim
  • Replace two rubber bumper inserts
Regarding price, I will accept a serious offer from any of the venues where I post this listing. I reserve the right to reject any offers. Your offer should consider the value of the mechanical restoration. The Hagerty Collectors Insurance Agency, LLC will insure this car for a sum between $6,900 and $11,000. Your offer may differ. The car is in the Princeton/Somerville area of New Jersey. You must be a US citizen and you must inspect and pick up this car in person. Payment shall be by electronic funds transfer.

Please respond with any questions you may have. I will be happy to take additional photos should you request them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	450se Left Front.jpg
Views:	2593
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	474211   Click image for larger version

Name:	450se Left Rear.jpg
Views:	1733
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	474212   Click image for larger version

Name:	450se Front Seat.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	474213   Click image for larger version

Name:	450se Rear Seat.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	474214  
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: