LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
AMG chrome Aero I 3 piece 16x7.5 set - may sell

I'm looking at a 300CE in fair shape which has a set of 16 inch Aero I rims (not staggered) with 35 bolts and "AMG" on one spoke. They seem to fit the fenderwells nicely with 205-50-16 tires. There don't seem to be any cracks at the lug holes and the chrome centers are in mostly good shape (a little scuff on one). The barrel is roughly 6 inches to the outside lip and the outside rings look to be 1.5 to the lip. There's a lot of whitish corrosion on the ring and what looks like clear coat peeling off (too thin for chrome flakes).

I have read that the painted Aero's had highly polished rings but wasn't sure if that was also the case on the chrome ones - or did they come chromed too? On a quick look at the dirty back of one rim, I didn't notice any imprinting about OZ, size, offset or a part #, but have to believe they are the real deal. One ring has the lip edge scraped from a curb and am not sure if the rings are alloy or steel. Are the rings still available?

Anyway, if I buy this 300, I'd rather sell the wheels. I know there's a lot of demand and high prices on the 17 staggered 3 piece Aero's with low offsets, but how about the 16's in chrome with higher equal offset, like 30-35, that fit 124 and 201? They seem even more rare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 04 E500; 00 SL500 Sport/Pano; 94 E420; 92 500E; 92 300CE; 81 380SL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Cost to Refurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD 300CE View Post
I'm looking at a 300CE in fair shape which has a set of 16 inch Aero I rims (not staggered) with 35 bolts and "AMG" on one spoke. They seem to fit the fenderwells nicely with 205-50-16 tires. There don't seem to be any cracks at the lug holes and the chrome centers are in mostly good shape (a little scuff on one). The barrel is roughly 6 inches to the outside lip and the outside rings look to be 1.5 to the lip. There's a lot of whitish corrosion on the ring and what looks like clear coat peeling off (too thin for chrome flakes).

I have read that the painted Aero's had highly polished rings but wasn't sure if that was also the case on the chrome ones - or did they come chromed too? On a quick look at the dirty back of one rim, I didn't notice any imprinting about OZ, size, offset or a part #, but have to believe they are the real deal. One ring has the lip edge scraped from a curb and am not sure if the rings are alloy or steel. Are the rings still available?

Anyway, if I buy this 300, I'd rather sell the wheels. I know there's a lot of demand and high prices on the 17 staggered 3 piece Aero's with low offsets, but how about the 16's in chrome with higher equal offset, like 30-35, that fit 124 and 201? They seem even more rare?
Chrome?, that's too bad, why folks ruin really great old AMG wheels is beyond me.. bling..bling...

They never came with chrome, painted silver center with polished lips, these are someones idea of kool 20 years ago...

You can always repaint easy enough, but chrome removal has it's problems depending on the pitting in the aluminum below the chrome.

I'll attach a picture of one of my 16" set before they were taken apart and refurbed.

Clean off the brake dust, try a rear wheel, must easier, and look at the outside of the five spokes.

Find one that has OZ cast into it, then one spoke clockwise AMG is cast into that spoke, then one more spoke clockwise and you should fin the sizes stamped into this spoke. should be 7 1/2 x 16 ET31.

Assuming there are no cracks and the wheels can be rebuilt,your going to have to take them all apart, remove the chrome from the centers, polish everything to some degree, then paint the centers. New bolts are in order as well.

These will be an expensive (more than normal because of the chrom removal), refurb.

You may have hard time selling these even though they are rare. The cost to buy and ship, then total refurb will add up to big bucks quickly, and when your done, ya still only have 16" wheels to sell to a limited market.

Too bad the past owners didn't take care of them.

You probably won't get a lot of money for them, buying decent wheels is hard to do sometimes, selling abused wheels is next to impossible.

Whoever buys them will need another 150 to 200 per wheel to get them back to new OEM condition. Lets say it's only 150 per wheel, that's 600 to refurb, on top of the figure you are thinking of selling them for.

Do the math, would you buy them for the price you have in mind?

I don't even want to tell you how much I invested in my set, when it's time to sell, I'll never get all my money back, no matter how rare they are.

Good luck with your purchase, hopefully the owner kept better care of the car than he did these very rare wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16 in aero 1 3 p backside.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	470723  

SL's & 124's
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the detailed info on the Aero's! Before getting your reply I got a quote of $315/wheel (if the bolts didn't need to be replaced) from a place in PA, to recondition them in chrome - I imagine it would be a little less to strip the chrome but to paint the centers. Maybe rechroming just the one scuffed center and polishing (or painting) the lips to have them presentable again would be another option althought it's not a style I would want). I already figured the 16" wouldn't be in high demand vs 17", despite the seemingly increased rarity. I believe the 16s were used on the 190E AMG W201 cars - I saw an original 190 AMG brochure on one of the posts here which showed that size as one of the wheel options.

The car may have been taken care of at one point in time, but evidently not recently. Someone spent a lot of money on questionable changes, like chroming just the wheel centers and a strange (now cracked) fiberglass trunk lid that has an "inverse" spoiler built in as well as a sunroof deflector). The only two changes I liked in terms of appearance were the AMG exhaust tips and aftermarket headlamp assemblies - very bright chrome European look which I thought complemented the bright grill better than stock, but there seemed to be a large gap between the grill and the lights.

There were enough issues with the car that the value of the wheels is the make or break part of the purchase decision. I was already a bit concerned over the lack of records and a few other known issues, but once I viewed the car, it came down to what I'd have invested once I sold the wheels. I have a line on another one that seems to be in much better shape, with all records and lower miles. I would have considered buying this one as a project or parts car IF the wheels had been in demand for a good price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in