Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage wheels & hubcaps: BBS, Pentas, Lorinser LO, even a bundt

66K views 184 replies 44 participants last post by  Fonzi 
#1 ·
I am a wheel hoarder in the northern mid-Atlantic area of the east coast or maybe you'd call it southern new England. The 107 forum is aware of me, and should know most of my inventory, but I thought I should post here. Since I am a hoarder my prices are not cheap, but I believe they are fair. Prices on some wheels change over time as I invest more time or money into them. So I am not posting prices. My private massage box is often full, so email me instead. It is just easier.

August 2012 inventory:
- bbs rs008 + rs009 16" gold staggered set of 7+8" in et24 and et11 respectively. Currently disassembled, and the lips are polished and perfect. I do have two more 2" lips that need work if you really want a square set of 8", but not what I recommend. Original specs is my preference, as opposed to "molested".
- 7x16 et23 (or somewhere in that ballpark) bbs ra wheel set of four I sprayed one silver already, but these would be much nicer with polished or even machined lips. Three are primer beige with spots of silver paint remaining. I just got these a week ago.
- new old stock Taiwan Pentas in 8x16 et11. A couple of us on the 107 forum got our hands on these. Mine have a few scratches because the original taiwan packaging was pretty bad. Overall they look fantastic.
- two gen1 ats Pentas in 8x16 et11. Some corrosion under the clear coat on the lips, but overall very nice looking, and probably never saw much road time having like new 1986 tires on them.
- one gen2 ronal Amg Penta in the same condition as the above two gen1 Pentas, maybe better condition, but also having a nice 1986 tires on it.
- one 14" bundt with a nice old tire. It must have been a spare. No center cap on this.
- one lorinser LO 8x16 et22 in great shape
- one gold bbs rs011 made into a spare in 6.5x16 et30.

Two sets that I believe are spoken for are:
- silver rs009
- black rs098

I have a pile of 14" hubcaps to unload too.

I will post some pics in here as time goes on. The main purpose of this post is to let folks know about the newly acquired 3 Amg Pentas in gen1 and gen2 that will most likely be split up instead of making a set.

Email me.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
I learned that bundt wheels must use larger center caps than lorinser LO and 15-hole wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
AMG Pentas are gone (two gen1 and one gen1) but I still have the four Taiwan Pentas (gen1).

Got a fourth set of bbs rs023 in 8x16 et24 (6" barrels, 1.5" lips) and now can make anything with lips in 0.5, 1, 1.5, and 2" and barrels in 5.5 and 6", and two styles of faces:
- flat: rs008, rs009, rs011, rs023
- curved: rs098 (allowing for 1/2" more lip and 1/2" less barrel than the faces above).

Lorinser LO wheel sets:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sal...lusive-lorinser-lo-motherload-ideal-fits.html (<-- My one Lorinser LO is being allocated to the sets in this thread.)

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Hubcap

Phase 1 on the 8x16 et24 rs023 with 1.5" slant lips. These WILL fit the front of a 560sl with 15mm spacers making a not-too-shabby 8x16 et9... 2mm more poke than ideal I guess, but we have yet to determine if 1/2" / 13mm spacers would work.

Current inventory:
- five silver 8x16 et11 bbs rs009 w 2" slant lips with original clearcoat
---- four with 225/50/16 firestone indy500 summer tires mounted
---- one looks like it has never has a tire mounted

- four 8x16 et24 silver bbs rs023 with bare metal 1.5" slant lips. Needs bolts installed and some minor lips repairs to be near perfect.

- four bbs (currently black) rs098 7x16 et35, currently disassembled as a project set that I was planning to make much wider with much larger lips.

- two extra 2"x16" slant lips, currently stripping off clear coat.

- one bbs rs011 flat face from a 7x16 et35 wheel (0.5" lip and 6" barrel... No 6" barrel though only 5.5")

- one bbs rs 0.5" lip (belongs with above rs011)

- several extra 5.5" barrels, some cracked.

- four bbs (ra ?) 7x 16 et23 one piece (currently mounted with old 225/60/16

- four general altimax winter tires in 205/55/16

- four 8x16 et11 rial weave wheels (currently polishing these huge lips)

- four Taiwan Replicas of ats gen1 AMG road wheels. Perfect copy except for caps and the hub markings which normally say "AMG"

#11 ·
I don't see any reason for all the bolts on all the bbs rs I sell to look like this. Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Spoke

I think I have my bolt polishing technique down. These here were just finished. I guess it probably takes me an hour or so per wheel. All the bolts I have are BBS originals. Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Auto part Tire

Alloy wheel Rim Auto part Tire Wheel

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
Where can you buy elbow grease?
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Tire

Two 2" lips in a (now) matching bare aluminum finish are available in case the buyer wants to have a staggered set with "molested" back wheels being 8.5x16 et17 (but marked as rs023 8x16 et24).

I have not yet:
- polished the bolts on one wheel (bottom left pictured) or most of the bolts laying in the lip at the bottom (for the next set)
- cleaned 3 of the four wheels. See second pic for before-after of the current state. (I really cleaned a LOT of first off these already, only cleaned one indoors, where things really get clean.)
Rim Alloy wheel Spoke Wheel Automotive wheel system

- put the nuts on the backs and cranked them down. (I removed the bolts but haven't broken the seal on the lips and barrels.)
- taken them to the wheel shop to have them all lip-repaired and trued-up (but they look totally usable as-is.

Not far from putting these up on ebay.

#13 ·
Not sure whether I should pony up to have the lip repair done on these or not. If my wheel shop charges me the rates they have been giving me all along, it will cost me $360 + my time. That would bump the price of these up to the level of a perfect set. I am already thinking that I have wasted my time on these if I was to sell under $1000.

So there you have it... $1000 takes them in their current condition. Come get them cheap before I spend more time and money on them and bump them to $1400 or higher.

Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Tire

Rim Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Spoke

Alloy wheel Rim Spoke Wheel Tire

Alloy wheel Rim Tire Spoke Wheel

Alloy wheel Wheel Tire Rim Automotive tire

Wheel Alloy wheel Tire Rim Automotive tire

Automotive tire Tire Rim Wheel Alloy wheel

Tire Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Alloy wheel Rim Automotive tire Wheel

Tire Wheel Alloy wheel Rim Auto part

#19 ·
Thanks. It isn't negotiable. :)

And here is the rest of them. Now that I know how to use the specialty product called "elbow grease", I will start into the black set if I don't find a buyer at a "project" price. I will probably have to get the black wheels straightened, but the current price is $800,missing the waffles. I could actually come up with three if I used the ones from my spares, or robbed from my silver rs009 (or the silver rs023). But since those is a project set, if someone wanted to get creative with a piece of sheet metal, or run without centers, I am offering these black rs098 7x16 et35 without waffles for $800... For a limited time, which is only until I decide to remove the clearcoat and steel wool the bejesus out of these. So act fast if you want these rs098 for cheap. (Btw... If anyone remembers these being for sale before and what I bought them for, take note that there was no mention of three barrels being cracked, so I already have a lot more invested in these black ones than I paid for them. I just want to make it clear that there's no robbery going on here.).

W124 & w201 owners:
--- perfect fit.

W107 & w126 owners:
--- backspace is perfect, but lips are a little small. You can do 2.5" front and 3-3.5" rear lips with these faces if you want big lips. For gen2 r107 owners, I think 20mm spacers will make them clear the front calipers, but I hope to have SheppyMach verify this soon. An effective 7x16 et15 is pretty good, especially with a 225/50/16 (slightly wide for 7" wheel but would look great). Of course if using spacers on a w126 or r107 beyond 15mm might justify 6" barrels instead of the current 5.5", but trading barrels isn't too hard if you want to do so before assembling these.

Other model owners:
--- these fit a wide variety if cars, especially older models. There might be limited caliper space for protruding-caliper cars like the 560sl, requiring spacers.

Spacers:
And if you are concerned about spacers, I love the 15mm spacers SheppyMach showed me that fit so tight into the back of a bbs rs that you literally need to pry them out. That adds some confidence to riding spacers.

So now for the pics...

Wheel Rim Alloy wheel Tire Auto part

Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Auto part

Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Auto part

Ok. Here are a few comments...

- spare gold rs011 wheel shown, but it has a 5.5" barrel on it. The only 6" barrels I have anymore are on my rs023. So instead of that gold wheel being 7x16 et35 (yes, same specs as the black rs098, but supposed to have a 0.5" lip and a 6" barrel instead of a 1" lip and a 5.5" barrel like the ts098), the gold wheel as shown is 6.5x16 et28, a perfect spare for the trunk anyone.

- the bolts in all the wheels really polish up well. There are a few polished in this set, but the work isn't done. I can explain how to do it if needed/desired. The price will go up if I get to this work myself before they sell.

- the 1" lips look like hell with the clear coat all chipped, scratched off, etc. I have now figured out how to take off clearcoat. It is called elbow grease. I have proven to myself that I have it, but need to manage my time, and won't do this this week.

- faces are black, but I will lightly blast them, prime them, and paint them silver if these don't sell as-is.

- barrels are silver underneath. Two are black, but the paint comes off easily and I will paint strip these if they don't sell, but again, the price goes up.

- I have two 2" inch lips. That would make these about 8x16 et22. Personally, I think these curved-face wheels are crying for huge lips. There is a possibility of the 2" lips going with the rs023 wheels, but if they do, there's a good chance two 1.5" lips from the rs023 would be available for these. If either 1.5" or 2" lips are provided with these... You guessed it. The price goes up.

Pics of all the 2" lips I have that are not mounted on my silver 8x16 et11 rs009 wheels (with tires). I picked up this near-perfect spared rs009, which obviously still has clearcoat on it. It is a great example of the way BBS intended these wheels. But it is apparent why all the tuners polish up the lips. I would hate to strip the clear off this silver rs009, but having three 2" lips, it is tempting to make another set of wheels with four 2" lips. I don't see it happening, but I want to put all the options out there for the project-minded.

Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Automotive tire

Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Tire Spoke

Tire Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Automotive tire

Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Auto part

Attachments

#20 ·
Lets pull that gold little baby off the sales table and switch out that crazy .5" lip on there for a 1" and i'll use it for my spare. If the only odd center nut is the polished one then we can put it with it. Its no rush but it's mine now! Im gonna measure the depth of my spare hole in am. Text me $ and i'll run it down the 95 pipeline. I ordered 4 polished bbs long nut valve stems so i'll be running these back for whatever rims need them.
TTYL, Shep

#23 ·
Pm box keeps filling up. Sorry. The email function should always work though. (Man I hate the way they let you type a long message and then tell you you can't send it. Thank goodness for cop paste.)

Shep:
I will have a 1" lip if they buyer of the black rs098 wants to swap-out for something bigger. That lone 1/2" has no other purpose though. You can have your pick of my spare barrels. One is for the gold wheel, three are cracked, one was machined by a knucklehead. So there are three extras to choose from. Machined in front of row of four. Cracked in row of three. Brass earthenware Metal

So as you see, the spare gold will get a gold barrel the same size as your rear rs009. Perhaps you will be interested in a 2" lip, making a match spare for your rears? Maybe we find a good 1" lip for you too? Lets see how it pans out. I think the rs023 will be selling quickly. Since w123 buyers appear interested, maybe they will want to do something creative:
1) Add 2" to rear 8.5x16 et17
2) Put 5.5" barrels on front: 7.5x16 et30
^^ that would free up two 6" barrels.

If someone wanted 2, but not 1, then you could get a 5.5" barrel, a 6" barrel, a 2" lip, and maybe we could scare up a 1" lip for you too. Time will tell.

#27 ·
Wanted

Fonzi,

Happy Holidays, Rick here (aka rewillia);

If you have or ever come a cross a set of the 15" wheels and caps like those shown in the attached photo that would fit my 1988 560SL, I'd buy em off you in a heartbeat. PS; I know they would not be model/period correct but just like the look of them and would love to have a set (4 or 5).

Regards, Rick

Attachments

#28 ·
Fonzi,

Happy Holidays, Rick here (aka rewillia);

If you have or ever come a cross a set of the 15" wheels and caps like those shown in the attached photo that would fit my 1988 560SL, I'd buy em off you in a heartbeat. PS; I know they would not be model/period correct but just like the look of them and would love to have a set (4 or 5).

Regards, Rick
Roger that Rick! I once found a set for the female member in Miami who had an AMG to part out in addition to her 560sl I think... Which she had to have a wheel cut off due to a frozen 560sl wheel lug. Mirlena I think was her handle. She never responded and that was probably over a year ago. Missed opportunity. :-( however, I don't think we ever got into the spacer question/issue.

BTW: Since I was overwhelmed by the prospect of removing the seat pads from my 450sl, I took a shortcut and didn't use them, but passed them on to SheppyMach since he said he too could use them... And I think he has more gusto to go at the seats pads. Thanks!

#31 ·
Silver BBS RS023 pending to a 1983 300cd owner. Desiring a staggered setup, the buyer will be taking the 2" lips for the rears. That leaves two 1.5" lips for the black curved-face rs098.

The simplifying the collection, the only bbs RS unspoken for are:

- five silver bbs rs009 in 8x16 et11 once desired by Kimmosabbee (not sure if he will still be interested)

- four black bbs rs098 in 7x16 et35, but I think I am going to just move forward with my plan of putting the 1.5" lips on the rear, making the rears 7.5x16 et28. (To all my w107 friends, these will fit a gen1 107, but leave you desiring a bit more poke. Spacer would solve this and maybe even make them fit a gen2 107.) If these are around much longer, I will paint them silver. I am getting more practice at that right now.

Here is what I am working on right now while I await the 3rd and 4th center caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.