What wheels are these and will the stock lugs fit, available for pickup only! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1995 sl320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What wheels are these and will the stock lugs fit, available for pickup only!

about to trade wheels and wanted to know if my stock lugs will fit these wheels

i have the longer ones for the rears and the regular ones for the fronts since my amgs are staggered
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
sorry forgot to add that these will be going on a mercedes r129 roadster {wheels thats on my car now are 2007 sl55's}

and heres the info he told me the front tires are 245-35-20, rears are 285-35-20, they came off an 06 cls550, and unfortunately i can not come to meet you they are available as pick up only
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
???
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzdog View Post

and heres the info he told me the front tires are 245-35-20, rears are 285-35-20, they came off an 06 cls550, and unfortunately i can not come to meet you they are available as pick up only
Hi benzdog.

This topic regarding your items for sale, wanted or trade has been moved.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 04 E500; 00 SL500 Sport/Pano; 94 E420; 92 500E; 92 300CE; 81 380SL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Lug Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzdog View Post
about to trade wheels and wanted to know if my stock lugs will fit these wheels

i have the longer ones for the rears and the regular ones for the fronts since my amgs are staggered
Staggered wheels don't require different size bolts front to rear, the staggering is accomplished by making the rear rim wider and perhaps moving the center section along the width dimention to make ET adjustments. The center sections dimensions and the bolt mounting surfaces will still be the same wheather it's a front or rear wheel, (of a matched staggered set). Different size bolts are needed for differently designed wheel types in relation to the cars they were designed for.

In general bolts need to stick out the back side of any wheel between 17mm and 20mm. Less that 17mm is too few threads for safety, too much more than 20mm and it becomes possible to start hitting something and doing damage.

Take whichever bolt your in doubt of and just dry test it with the new wheel off the car. Hold the bolt in place with one hand and measure the threads sticking through the mounting surface with the other.

If the measurement isn't in the 17 to 20mm range, then simply add or subtract mm's to calculate which new size bolt you need.

The terms regular and longer are meaningless, you need to speak in bolt size language, (ie. 12mm x 1.5M, 26mm, R14, Hex 17)

I too have staggered SL55 wheels on my 129, the bolts in the above example are made for these wheels, front and rear take the same bolt.

12mm = bolt diameter
1.5M = metric thread size
26mm = shank length of bolt (bolt head not included)
R14 = Ball Seat Radius, in this special case it's 14 only because SL55 wheels are drilled to take a 14mm R14 bolt, normally this would be R12 to match 12mm bolt diameter, & R14's normally go with 14mm bolts
Hex17 = Metric Wrench size to install/remove bolts

When I received the above bolts from Rad USA Direct, I checked them right away on both a front and the rear of my SL55 wheels unmounted, I got the exact same measurement front and rear of the staggered set.

Be carefull with longer lugbolts on the rears especially, as they can cause damage to brakes if they are too long. I recomend that you standardize the bolt lengths for all four wheels and remove all different sized bolts from the car so you don't ever chance mixing them up.

I'm not familiar with the wheels your putting on, are they also drilled for 14mm R14 bolts? If they are you need a similar bolt as in the example above, a 12mm diameter with a R14 ballseat, the length required you'll need to measure as already mentioned above.

If you need assistance just go to the RAD USA direct website and call them, they will know exactly what you should need.

M12x1.5

good luck
Attached Images

SL's & 124's

Last edited by Aero I; 07-04-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: add picture
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1995 SL500, 2014 ML63, 2016 GLC300
i know when i was aksing my mechanic about wheels he said that many cars have different offsets and not all wheels will have the same sixe offset. so keep that in mind with wheels. i dont know if thats true because i havent changed my wheels but thats what i was told.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 04 E500; 00 SL500 Sport/Pano; 94 E420; 92 500E; 92 300CE; 81 380SL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesTheBest View Post
i know when i was asking my mechanic about wheels he said that many cars have different offsets and not all wheels will have the same size offset. so keep that in mind with wheels. i don't know if that's true because i haven't changed my wheels but that's what i was told.
BTW, you need spell check...lol, I fixed your post for ya...

What you have heard about each car is designed for a certain range of ET and other sizes is true, and it's important to know what "Range" of sizes that will fit your application.

That being said, many cars also share similar sizes, so understanding the sizes range of your car, and knowing what other model wheels will also fit is important.

If you want to know which type wheels will fit one of your cars, go start a new thread in the specific car forum, you'll get a ton of answers

SL's & 124's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in