Premium Member
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1986 420SEL - 2001 BMW 325xiT - 2013 BMW M3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
WTB - Period Wheels for Gen2 420SEL - Penta, BBS

As the title states, I am looking for some period correct wheels to spruce up my Gen2 w126 420SEL. Wheels that come to mind (which I like) are:

AMG or Ronal Penta's (Even a good replica of these is okay with me)
Lorinser LO's

Offset needs to be between ET11 through 23.
Not interested in anything bigger than 17".
Not interested in anything modern.

My budget would be as follows:

$400-500 for wheels that need refinished. This would include wheels that are incorrectly color coded for my 040 black car...i.e. they are blue or red, etc.

Up to a $1000 for "presentable" condition...don't need to be perfect.

Up to $1200 for wheels with tires that are within the last 5 years and at least 50% tread.

I would also pay for shipping.

I am located in Indianapolis, IN.

1986 Black on Grey 420 SEL (560 Interior Swap)
1986 Smoke on Burgundy 300 SDL - SOLD

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:57 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500sl92 GONE:280sl79 4xW114/5 3x450sl72-3 280slc4sp81 280s69 73,81SLCs
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
These really will clean up well.

The black barrels appear to have been painted with no primer, and the barrels are silver underneath, just like the replacement barrels for the gold barrels. I can scratch the black paint off with my fingernail. So I plan to hit them with the pressure washer next time it is convenient.

The 1" lips for the rs008 7x6 et24 are perfect. Those barrels look quite good and straight too.

The 2" lips on the rs009 need a little bit of work, which I had planned to have done. I did not plan on doing any polishing or even clear-coating of these, but perhaps some effort would be wise to make them look more like the 1" lips before assembling them. Maybe just some buffing and a new coat of clear would potentially make them look perfect. The dilemma however is getting the 2" lips perfected before polishing. Maybe I could take care of the area around the bolts, and then polishing and clearcoat the outer lips edges after assembly and repairs. If you don't care too much about them looking perfect, none of these matters as they are cosmetically pretty good right now. The 6" barrels look perfectly round.

I don't like to assume wheels are round before shipping. So my plan would be to spend about $400 at my wheel shop before shipping these to anyone. Perhaps I could get that down to about $200 if the rs008s are as perfect as they look.

So give those a ponder. I'm mostly looking to help a fellow BW member, who bought some of these parts from another fellow BW member, and then ended up realizing some of the barrels couldn't be used, and I split a set of wheels with him to get him what he needed. He appreciated the help and sent me the rs009 for half what he paid for them. I'd like to get him his second half back.

Fortunately another BW member had picked up a treasure trove of BBS RS, and sold me three Frankenstein MB BBS RS, and two Porsche BBS RS. I sold two pitted 1" lips, and the Porsche BBS RS on ebay and almost covered the cost of the rest of the BBS RS stuff I got from him. So, now with all this, I can probably help someone else make a good set of BBS RS for their MB, and maybe I'll end up with a nice BBS RS spare wheel in 6.5x16 et30 for myself. That's really about all I'll end up with after all this!

I did pick up a rough set of BBS RS098 very inexpensively that I promised to sell at my cost to the guy who picked up the treasure trove of BBS RS. With all those BBS RS, there wasn't a set of four that would be ideal for his w124. So when the RS098s popped up, I snatched them up thinking he might be interested.

So I really do see this as trying to help others. I really need to stop doing it.

So you see, my price will not be negotiable. I will not send you a pile of shitty BBS project.

The Lorinser LOs I have are pending. That makes everything I have "spoken for" except this gold set of rs008 + rs009. Hopefully my garage will have much more space in a few weeks.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: