Date registered: Apr 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1997 S420 (LWB W140) Black $5500

Year: 1997
Model: S420 long wheel base
Engine: 4.2 liter V8
Transmission: 722.6 5 speed driver adaptive automatic with 'Winter' and 'Sport' mode.
Mileage: Around 195k miles currently. Mostly interstate travel. When you start it up you'll be able to tell it's been a well taken care of S class that hasn't been abused.
Clean vehicle history and title. Service records from 2002 and up are included. chain/tensioner done at 125,000. If you know W140s you know that condition of everything is more important than mileage.

All maintenance is up to date. Compression is good across all cylinders, injectors are good. Hoses and wiring all good. The brakes and tires have about 50% life remaining. Suspension is perfect, engine, transmission and drivetrain are excellent as well. I use 15w40 shell rotella and so has the previous owner. Leather interior is in amazing condition; No rips, cracks, tears and all the wood is still in pristine condition. The front and rear bumpers however were painted by previous owner because of excessive rock chips and scratches. He just seemed to be a picky/anal owner. He also replaced some big ticket items like the power steering and duovalve/monovalve.

Here are the flaws with the car: All relatively minor compared to other W140s.

-sunshade for the moonroof is tough to move, it'll need to be replaced or re upholstered.. It doesn't affect moonroof function at all.
-am/fm antenna stopped going up and down.
-one tiny drop of engine oil per night.
-passenger mirror/glass piece must be adjusted manually (it still folds in and out though)
-windshield wiper looks to have skipped a gear, works perfectly but it has a new rest position. (see pics)
-missing tow hook cover for right rear side.
-Front bumper area and around headlights has some minor rock chips. Typical of interstate/highway cruisers.

I bought this car in October 2011 and it's been a great car since then. Price is no longer firm however I am not giving the car away either... Car is located in Harnett County, NC. Please post here or PM me if you have any questions or concerns. Serious inquires ONLY please. I'll add pics periodically. Good luck gentlemen.

And here is a picture from October when it still had the stock rims and grille.

Last edited by SaleenS7; 06-21-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: More pictures, updated info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I'm looking into buying a Corvette soon so the price of this car is no longer firm. Car will not come with the 18" rims though.

Throw out an offer, the worst I can say is no.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00782-20120617-1628.jpg
Views:	10687
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	451600  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
The car is sold. The new owner is very happy. Please closed thread.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: M120, M119
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Worth, $15,500!!!

Gutted to see you sell it. Car looks absolutely fabulous...!

Good luck, bud!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Organic View Post
Worth, $15,500!!!

Gutted to see you sell it. Car looks absolutely fabulous...!

Good luck, bud!
Uncle Rich, thank you for the kind comment. The good news is I was able to sell the car and the rims separately for the same price I purchased them for. The bad news is that I'm a sad that no one on the forum purchased her. This car was in better condition as far as engine, trans, interior, exterior than just about any other W140 I've seen. It would have made someone here very happy and I would have been happy to give a forum member a better deal knowing they will properly take care of the car.

Anyway I loved this car but I just couldn't see myself keeping her for the long run. I know I convinced myself to keep the w140 a few months ago but I had a change of heart again. The lingering thought of things going wrong here and there with the car was part of the reason. The other reason was that the car was just quite frankly too boring to drive. What's the point in keeping and maintaining an older model high maintenance vehicle if you don't enjoy it anymore right? As odd as it may sound I was having more fun driving my girlfriend's little 97' 5 speed mirage coupe than I did driving my w140 I know it's apples and oranges but still. Anyway I'm rambling on now so I'll stop, lol.

Now the hunt begins for a true sports car. I'm leaning towards a Corvette since I can't afford that Ferrari or Saleen anytime in the next few years. I know traditionally the prices of sports cars dip in late fall/winter time so I may wait until then to purchase. My options are open, Either way I'll still be a part of benzworld (as always). Thanks again my friend!

Last edited by SaleenS7; 07-01-2012 at 06:25 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: M120, M119
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
True Sports Car??

C140 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in