Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FS: W123 1984 280 CE California, smogged, clear title...

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Scoot 
#1 ·
1984 280 CE - purchased at auction because I thought I would like it as a driver. Turns out I am too tall with the sunroof AND it is a project car. But a good project car.

The good:

1. Runs well, drives well, seems fast, no steering strangeness
2. Passes SMOG
3. Legal, titled in CA, registered through March 2013
4. Nicely optioned - ABS, rear headrests, black velour interior, power sunroof (working), power right mirror, zebrano, automatic
5. Good Euro bumpers
6. Zero rust
7. Runs at right temp and oil pressure is good, as is steering and brakes
8. Newer catalytic converter (so says the smog man)

The not-so-good:

1. Minor rear end collision - bumper will be fine
2. Body dings, bad clear coat
3. rear window delamination
4. Seats are crappy, (but door panels nice)
5. Crappy dash
6. Dealer installed AC not working, crappy zebrano around heat controls
7. I have no idea about miles - not original cluster and odometer doesn't work anyway.
8. Fuse #2 blows if I connect the power mirror switch which is in horrible condition - I will replace the mirror switch and see if that fixes the problem UPDATE-FIXED
9. Transmission kickdown switch sometimes causes wipers to make one wipe-pass. UPDATE-new right mirror switch also sometimes causes wipers to make one wipe-pass

Correct radio was not in the car but I happen to have the exact correct Euro-spec Becker Europa Kurier Cassette radio in great condition

Engine - 110988
Transmission - 722309
Exterior - 735U Astral Silver Metallic
Interior - 951A Black Velour

Options:

254 = BECKER RADIO EUROPA KURIER CASSETTE
410 = ELECTRIC SLIDING ROOF
420 = AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, FLOOR SHIFT
430 = HEADRESTS IN THE REAR
466 = CENTRAL LOCKING SYSTEM
470 = ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS)
504 = ELECTRIC RIGHT SIDE MIRROR
531 = AUTOMATIC ANTENNA
570 = FRONT FOLDING ARMREST
590 = GREEN HEAT-INSULATING GLASS ALL ROUND, HEATED REAR WINDOW, LAMINATED SAFETY GLASS - GERMANY

LOTS of pictures here:
http://photobucket.com/Mercedes_1984_280CE
if link doesn't work try this:
http://s828.photobucket.com/albums/zz207/srallen/FOR SALE - 1984 Mercedes 280 CE/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ20

Looking for $1500, if there isn't interest will consider parting it out, pink slip will take 3 weeks from DMV but can be sold prior to pink slip. UPDATE - Pink Slip arrived
Please email me via the forum or PM me.
thanks
Scott

See less See more
#2 ·
Scoot; if she was on the East Coast, I would be game,. I want a 280 CE so badly, but just cannot find one over here. GLWTS!

#3 ·
Fly out and drive it back! I just changed the price from $2000 to $1500.

#5 ·
Pics emailed!

#6 ·
I don't seem to be getting much interest in the car. Is it condition, price, or just lack of interest in a 280 CE. Went for a drive last night and it gets better and better. It certainly is a cosmetic project. Should I be parting this out instead? After the work someone went to to get it legal in California....

#8 ·
It's interesting because your issues with the car are not what mine would be.

I see the engine as (now) running well and passing smog and being fairly fast and not belching out smoke. The bumpers I think are both salvagable with minimal effort. As best as I can tell the car has no rust at all. Where I see the problems with on this car are:

1. Interior has trash seats front and back. Dash is pretty bad.
2. Body damage in rear - I don't think it's a big deal but it's certainly not nothing.
3. Back window is delaminating, which means it needs replacement. I know of good ones in the junkyard so it's not a big deal to find the parts but the gasket and installation are not that cheap.
4. Instrument cluster is wrong. I don't know how wrong, but it's wrong
5. Center console wood is goofed up and the heater controls seem to be floppy. Don't like that at all.
6. Paint is typical of a 1984 Mercedes with metalic car parked outside.
7. The euro lights are gone and the US ones aren't perfect. I have a set of Euro lights but I'm not going to the effort of installing them on the coupe. I've been meaning to put them on my wagon for several years...

It's a project, and I'm fairly sure that if someone doesn't buy it I can get $1000 from the California get-your-old-car-off-the-road program. Definitely not my first choice. I think it has value because it is a late car with the little bumpers. I thought I would want the car, but I don't.

#9 ·
SOLD ! Buyer will cut the car in half (will not exactly half) and from the A-pillars backwards goes to Indonesia to make a coupe out of a sedan. Somehow this is cost effective compared to importing a coupe and switching the steering from LHD to RHD. Anyway, it's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.