LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1968 Mercedes 230 Fintail (W110 4 door sedan)

I have a 1968 Mercedes 220 4 door sedan, gray with red vinyl interior for sale. The car has lived in the neighborhood here in Princeton, NJ since it arrived here in 1968, first by one neighbor who sold to another who has asked me to sell it for him. I was going to buy it for my son but at 24 and as much as he loves the car, he has no idea how to shift a manual, let alone a 4 speed on the column so we have decided to sell it. I am a car collector, primarily Porsche, Jags and Lotus and am a qualified mechanic and restorer, paid for my engineering degree with a wrench and have been actively restoring European cars for over 35 years

The 1968 Mercedes 230 (Base Model W110) "Fintail" (Heckflosse). 2.3 Liter straight 6, dual zenith carburetors, manual 4 speed on the column, gray with red interior in running condition as a daily driver or for drivable project car. Engine, runs smooth, transmission shift well with no issues. The tires have great tread but are dry rotted so it's only been around the block a couple times since I got it running again but I belive with new tire, you could drive it home today. The exterior (Gray) has some minor rust spots on the bottom of the rear quarter panels, some of the chrome (and it has a lot of chrome) is lightly pitted and the interior is complete (RED) with no tears, white headliner is clean and complete, dash is solid and complete. The paint, (gee after 43 years!) is lightly oxidized (dull) but should easily buff out to a good shine. The rear bumper has a quarter sized rust hole, is serviceable and still shines but should eventually be replaced. The car comes with the original owners manuals including service book, parts catalog and operators manual along with the 2 sets of original (4 each) keys.
I'm selling this car for my elderly neighbor so I'm limited on info, additional photos are available, please ask. I believe that the car has 143,000 which works out to about 3300 miles per year. Owned originally by a local Princeton University Professor then sold to my neighbor about 25 years ago and was used sparingly from new. The owner's manual indicates (through service stamps) that the car was picked up at the West Germany factory and driven for the first 3000 miles through Europe, then ship to New Jersey from Lorient, France where services continued at the local Benz dealer. The services records then end in late 1975 with about 43,000. My neighbor, a school teacher also used the car sparingly and maintained it at a pretty good local European car repair shop. It has not been on the road for at least 10 years (last inspection expired in January 2001) as the maintenance records show a full tune up and service in 2000 with about 25 less miles than it has now. I went through the drive train with a proper engine start up with light oil (lots of Marvel Mystery Oil), hand cranking, draining of fluids (gas, oil) etc. and then reset everything and started the engine (started on the second crank). Car runs pretty well, some very light residual smoke from the mystery oil but I'll change the oil again this weekend. The engine, clutch and brakes work well, throttle is responsive with no hesitation and shifting is flawless. It's a great example of the late fintails which are getting rarer and rarer every year and priced fairly for it's condition at $3500 with all offers considered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	447767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	447768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	447769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	447770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	447771  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	447772  
Dr. Robert likes this.

Last edited by typhoon917; 06-05-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: PRICE LOWERED TO $3500-NEEDS TO GO!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I talked with the owner this morning and he's decided to lower the price to $3500. I'm figuring if it doesn't sell, I might use it for a daily driver but it's really a great candidate for an easy restoration-anyone interested???
#3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2007 E350 4Matic Sport, 1993 CBR600F2
PM Sent
#4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 1973 450SL-1968 911-1994 840ci-1967 Mustang
Wish you were closer.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 06:11 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
SOLD Full Price

I wanted to thank all of you for the help on selling the Fintail. it was sold to a nice young guy from North Jersey who it planning on restoring it to it's orginal glory. There were several people intetrested but he was the first one to get here and after five minutes handed me the full amount (which will make the owner happy) asked. I have to admit, I had some mixed emothions as they loaded it onto the flatbed truck as I doubt I'll ever have one as nice and complete as this one again. In the end, I think it's going to a nice home and I do have way too many other car project with no spare room for proper storage. thanks again all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.