post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1999 S420 53k miles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1990 300SE 90k miles, 2 owner, $5,499

I have many high definition photos of this vehicle that I will send to anyone who requests them. Just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll get it done.

This is a 1990 Mercedes 300SE. It's blue with a Palomino interior. The VIN number is WDBCA24E8LA536655. It is located near West Palm Beach Florida. My price for this great car is just $5,499. I am the second owner of this vehicle. I purchased it two years ago when it had just under 62,000 miles on it. It has a little over 89,000 miles on it now. I have spent many thousands of dollars on parts and service for this vehicle over the last two years. Many people advertise their vehicles as "all original." Well, in the case of a 20+ year old car, that is not a good thing.

As you may know, these Mercedes M103 engines are good for hundreds of thousands of miles with the proper maintenance. Many of the isuues with these older low mileage Mercedes vehicles are not wear related, but time related. There are many parts, especially rubber ones, that just deteriorate over time. Those parts need to be replaced. Additionally, if you intend on driving the vehicle regularly like I have, you will want to change many items just as preventative maintenance.

I took an excellent car to begin with and updated just about everything that needed to be. I was using the car as everyday transportation and wanted it to be able to take me anywhere I wanted to go without me having to worry about winding up on the side of the road because of some malfunction. I certainly achieved that. The car does 100 mph effortlessly. It starts and runs great. It has no mechanical issues. A good inspection of this vehicle would reveal the great condition that it is in.

This car is not a trailer/garage queen. It is not cosmetically perfect. The clearcoat on the hood, roof and trunk lid was missing in spots. So, I had all three of those areas painted about 6 months ago. They look great and match perfectly. The rest of the body is very nice also. There are only a few small dings in it. The wheels were also repainted 6 months ago. The driver's seat bolster has a hole in it. The left rear speker cover is broken because I let a knucklehead put his surfboard in the car for a short ride down to the beach and he hit and broke that speaker cover with the board. I broke a few tabs on the rear window brake light cover when changing the bulb in it. So, it needs a new cover. The rest of it is fine.

I imagine it's just best for you to inquire about more specific cosmetic blemishes and items that may be worn. Most cosmetic blemishes don't bother me. This is a very nice 22 year old partially restored vehicle. And most of the restoration work was done so that this car could take me anywhere without me having to worry about it. If you want a very nice reliable vehicle, then this car is for you.

The photos depict the condition of this vehicle very well. The engine compartment and engine have not been steam cleaned.

I hope you have a little patience because I am listing all of the parts and service that this vehicle has received over the last two years. Why am I selling it now after all I have put into it? Well, I am moving to a gated community which does not allow one to work on vehicles at their residence. I care more about where my family lives than the car, therefore the car has to go.

This car has spent its entire life in Southern Florida. It's rust free. That fact has made repairs a lot easier than I had imagined they would be. I have done most of the repairs myself. That's because I wanted them done right and because I was tired of dealing with thieves. You can read some of my posts hereon which give a good history of my adventures with this vehicle. PeachParts members have been very helpful in the restoration of this vehicle.

Below is the list of most of the items that were changed on the car during the last two years. I imagine I've missed some items, but you'll certainly get an idea of how extensive the repairs were. I put 4 new Michelins on after purchasing the car. Immediately after the new tires were installed I took the car to the Mercedes dealer and had them do a wheel alignment. However, the new tires and alignment have been some 27,000 miles ago now.

Center muffler-OE Eberspacher
Rear muffler-OE Eberspacher
Front & rear flex discs-Lemforder
Driveshaft center support, center support bearing, boot & debris caps-OE
Transmission mount-Meyle
Crankshaft damper-OE
Fan Clutch-Behr(OE)Germany
Serpentine belt-Contitech
MAS relay-Programa rebuilt
Overload protection relay-Kaehler(Germany)
Engine mounts-OE
Engine shocks-OE Stabilus
Belt tensioner-OE
Belt tensioner shock-OE Bilstein
Coolant tank-OE
Distributor cap & rotor -OE Bosch
Distributor cap inner & outer covers-OE
Distributor suppressor cover under rotor # 1230500176-OE Bosch($$-price it)
Spark plug wires-Beru
Spark plug wire upper & lower holders-OE
Oxygen Sensor-OE Bosch
Fuel pump-OE Bosch
Tie rod assemblies-Lemforder
Drag link-Lemforder
Steering damper-OE Bilstein
Ignition coil-Bosch OE
Front shock absorbers-OE Bilstein Comfort
Rear shockers-OE Bilstein
Front brake pads-Pagid
Rear brake pads-Pagid
Front & Rear brake calipers-rebuilt
Brake hoses(4)-Dorman
Rear brake rotors-Brembo Italy
Radiator hoses-OE
Coolant tank overflow hose-OE
Coolant tank to radiator hose-OE
Headlamp doors-OE Bosch
Headlamp lenses-OE Bosch
All bulbs for exterior lamps, including headlamps-OEM
A/C dryer-Behr
A/C high/low pressure switch-OE Mercedes
A/C refrigerant temperature sensor-OE Mercedes
Heater monovalve repair kit-OE Bosch
Exhaust manifold gaskets-OE
LH tail lens gasket-OE
Trunk seal-OE
Driver's door seal-OE
3-door strikers-aftermarket
Hood pad-OE
Coolant thermostat-OE
Engine temperature sensor-OE
Windshield washer reservoir pumps-OE
Engine fans-1 Vemo Germany,1 ACM Germany
Antenna-rebuilt OE Hirschmann Auta 6000EL
Antenna seal-OE
Rear sway bar to trailing arm links-Lemforder
Spark plugs(most recent change was 1,000 miles ago)

The left & right guide mounts were changed shortly before I purchased this vehicle. An idler arm rebuild kit was also installed by the previous owner. I don't have receipts for those items. However, an inspection of them will clearly show that they are relatively new and in good condition.

The maintenance on this vehicle has been continuous. Oil & filter changes have been done every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. I use Mercedes filters and Chevron Delo 400LE 15W40 oil. Here's a list of some of the other maintenance/service I've performed on this car:
P/S filter & fluid change-OE Mercedes fluid & filter
Differential fluid change-Mercedes fluid
Transmission fluid, filter & pan gasket change-Mann filter,OE gasket, Castrol Dexron VI oil
Coolant flush-OE Mercedes anti-freeze
Valve cover gasket-OE
Timing cover gasket-OE
RR window regulator repaired

I'll add any more items that I think of. Of course you can just ask about anything specific. I have receipts for all of the parts listed above. I also have receipts for any service which I did not do myself.

Last edited by francotirador; 05-31-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: Crossfire SRT
Great looking example of a great car. Now you have me considering a road trip this summer, a travelling holiday and a new to me car, what a thought.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1999 S420 53k miles
(Thread Starter)
This vehicle has been sold.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: