post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1974 240D, 1978 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by zukamb View Post
Definitely not trying to dash any dreams or hopes on this 6.9; just passing some real life 6.9 ownership and restoration experience based on my restoration of a AMG engined 76 euro 6.9 which just needed suspension work. You have to budget at least $5,000 right now to take care of the 3 leveling valves plus leaking hydraulic shocks which cause the suspension to bottom. Engine is strong if it had periodic oil changes; if cams are chewed out add another $2,400; car is a torque monster so it can blow the rear end ($2,500) by 100K miles as well as the transmission ($2,000) that is to get it on the road before you take care of any cosmetics, ancillaries, etc which are not really expensive since they are similar to regular 450SEL. There is definitely no such thing as a cheap 6.9 Mercedes. On the + side they are intoxicating monsters to drive but what a hard mistress it is on the pocket book. Within the last 6 months I've seen 2 (1 euro; 1 U.S. model) 6.9's that sold in the $7K range and did not have the issues this one has.
I believe you. So maybe after putting $4,000 into it you could sell it for $7,000 and break even, but save a car that deserves to be saved, that's how I look at it. Of course it could cost more or less than $4,000 to get it driving, and could sell for more or less than $7,000. I haven't looked into pricing of parts for this car, your prices seemed really high for just a parts cost, was that actually like the cost to have a shop do everything? Anyway, someone should save it anyway if they can afford it. I would but...I already 12 times, now I have too many cars.
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2012
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
6.9 album

Well shelling out $3k is mighty heroic.

The biggest concern that I saw was the rear diff appears to have hit something and the half shaft was just dangling there. Also, the spare tire well was banged up pretty good. The spark plug wires were chewed up by rats and they CUT OFF the battery terminals instead of unscrewing them. They move around the cars with forklifts so who knows what other parts they screwed up. The interior was in really good shape. The paint is faded quite a bit and the clear had come completely off in some areas. There is rust.

About the only thing this car has going for it is the interior was in really good shape.

Judging by what I saw, I would be hesitant to spend more than $500 on it.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1974 240D, 1978 300D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yeah, sounds like a $500 car. Maybe in 5 years they'll post it for $500.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: