post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 1999 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
considering buying a E320 wagon with salvage title

Found a 1998 E320 Wagon for sale with a salvage title. The vehicle has 115k miles and the asking price is $5500. Vehicle is in good condition.

The seller doesn't have a carfax report. He will give me the VIN so I can get one myself. How much info will I get from the carfax report in regards to the damage that caused the salvage title.

Seller is telling me the only damage was to the fender that has been repaired by the first owner of the car. I am planning to have a mechanic and a body shop inspect the car for any problems.

We will probably drive the car into the ground, just like we did the Volvo wagon that just died of a broken timing belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 2000 S430 (Sold),2001 ML 320 (Sold), 2000 ML 55 AMG!, 1995 E320 Estate!, 1998 SLK 230, 1995 C36 AMG!
If I were you I would run away from that car and never look back or even think twice about it. I do not care how nice it may be because it has been salvaged for a reason. Take it from me I am a car dealer and deal with hundreds of cars. When a car has been salvaged the insurance company declares fixing the problem is worth more than the vehicle; hence it being salvaged.

This car is only going to give you hell. Maybe not know but sooner or later it will. Take into consideration that aftermarket parts were probably used and the fact you do not know who did the labor.

Plus this guy must be out of his mind with that kind of price. You can find a 98 all day with a clean title and probably cleaner than his.

Anyways at the end of the day it is your decision. Take my advice or just ignore it you decide.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1999 C280
Send a message via Yahoo to mfagus
A few years ago I bought a 190 Sportline with a salvage title. Car was completely inspected and nobody could find ANY history of structural damage. After further research I found the car was a theft recovery. Made sense as the door lock and ignition lock had different keys.

My experience was very good with the car and it served me well for a long time.
Go into it knowing that a salvage title GREATLY diminishes the resale value, so based on that it seems like the price you are mentioning is too high.
If it passes the inspection, use the fact of a salvage title to knock down the price.

Mark

1999 C280
1992 Infiniti M30 Convertible
2008 ML320 CDI 4Matic
1996 Vulcan Classic
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 1999 SL500
(Thread Starter)
My wife's last car was a Volvo XC70 that we bought with a salvage title. We were told it had a salvage title because the previous owner had donated it. The engine had overheated and blown the headgasket. The car was sold at auction, fixed by a mechanic and we bought it from the mechanic.
The car served us well for 5 years and would still be running if we had not neglected timing belt maintenance.
The one time positive experience has made me less afraid of buying a vehicle that was salvaged. Maybe I just got lucky.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 1998 ML320, 2010 Sprinter Pass Van, 2010 R500, 2004 SLK230
Quote:
Originally Posted by taleb659 View Post
If I were you I would run away from that car and never look back or even think twice about it. I do not care how nice it may be because it has been salvaged for a reason. Take it from me I am a car dealer and deal with hundreds of cars. When a car has been salvaged the insurance company declares fixing the problem is worth more than the vehicle; hence it being salvaged.

This car is only going to give you hell. Maybe not know but sooner or later it will. Take into consideration that aftermarket parts were probably used and the fact you do not know who did the labor.

Plus this guy must be out of his mind with that kind of price. You can find a 98 all day with a clean title and probably cleaner than his.

Anyways at the end of the day it is your decision. Take my advice or just ignore it you decide.
Your advice above is asinine, I would only expect such an idiotic comment from a car dealer. You should do some research before you go online posting such imbecile advice and stupid remarks. Salvage DOES NOT equal total loss or substantial damage. It is merely a way for manufacturers and insurance companies of washing their hands from any future liability after an initial claim, whether the car suffered any actual damage OR NOT. Leaving your sunroof open for 2 minutes in a rain storm will TOTAL any car which is then branded with a flood salvage title, even though it suffers NO permanent damage.

I have bought over 60 cars over the past 20 years with some kind of salvage history, and most cars are still in operation today, with the only exception being the ones that have been junked due to subsequent accidents or as an example, my 500SL that was recently stolen and was never found (I made over $12k on that transaction ). I have bought most makes and models, including a 2 year old Bentley that was a flood vehicle, but had NO WATER DAMAGE.
I like to tinker with cars as a hobby, so I source cars for family members and friends, most with salvage titles. THE KEY IS: YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE BUYING AND THOROUGHLY INSPECT THE VEHICLE; PRIOR DAMAGE, IF ANY, IS IRRELEVANT, YOU ARE BUYING THE CAR FOR IT'S PRESENT CONDITION, NOT THE PAST.

Last edited by nojodas67; 04-04-2012 at 08:19 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '14 GLK250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We had an accident while visiting USA. Our Tahoe was hit on driver side door and pillar by a drunk. Estimate to repair was $6500. But they decided to total car, pay me out $12,500 and pay us about $3500 in expenses to get back home to Canada. Never understood why.

Other than one tire that had come off rim, Tahoe could have been driven except driver door was smashed on outside and could not be opened. I was tempted to buy it at salvage price and have it trucked home. Later I had a call from insurance co in USA - It had been sold on auction and they wanted my Canadian registration info for transfer of ownership. Presumably someone was going to fix her up. At the right price there was no reason not to repair that Tahoe. Everything else about it was in good shape.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 03:50 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGraham View Post
We had an accident while visiting USA. Our Tahoe was hit on driver side door and pillar by a drunk. Estimate to repair was $6500. But they decided to total car, pay me out $12,500 and pay us about $3500 in expenses to get back home to Canada. Never understood why.
Answer: Liability, see my explanation above.

Other than one tire that had come off rim, Tahoe could have been driven except driver door was smashed on outside and could not be opened. I was tempted to buy it at salvage price and have it trucked home. Later I had a call from insurance co in USA - It had been sold on auction and they wanted my Canadian registration info for transfer of ownership. Presumably someone was going to fix her up.
Someone probably bought your Tahoe at 70-80% below book value, spent $2-3k to fix it and now enjoys a well-cared for vehicle for less than 50% of book value. At the right price there was no reason not to repair that Tahoe. Everything else about it was in good shape.
Your experience is just another example that a person can get a very nice used car, for HALF OFF, and it further proves my point: the comment by the car dealer (taleb659) is both ludicrous and stupid, to say the least!
I have bought at least 3 brand new cars with just a handful of miles on the odometer, that had suffered very, very minor damage as they were being unloaded from the transport carrier at the new car dealer lot, usually got them at 30-40% off sticker price.
Manufacturer can no longer sell these as new (and usually cancel the warranty), the dealer will not touch them since they don't want the hassle of explaining the paint work or any history to a prospective buyer, so these orphaned cars get totaled by the carriers' insurance company, are taken to a dealer-only salvage auction, then I bid on it and drive it home.

Last edited by nojodas67; 04-04-2012 at 03:54 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2000 S430 (Sold),2001 ML 320 (Sold), 2000 ML 55 AMG!, 1995 E320 Estate!, 1998 SLK 230, 1995 C36 AMG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojodas67 View Post
Your advice above is asinine, I would only expect such an idiotic comment from a car dealer.
If I was such an idiotic dealer I would respond with such ignorant words as yours. I am just giving my advice; nobody was forcing it down his throat. I have bought and sold more cars than you will ever see in your lifetime. What also strikes me is the fact you only have 10 posts and already bashing people.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taleb659 View Post
If I were you I would run away from that car and never look back or even think twice about it.This statement is ignorant. I do not care how nice it may be because it has been salvaged for a reason.This statement is also ignorant, see the other examples posted by others above. Take it from me I am a car dealer and deal with hundreds of cars.So what? When a car has been salvaged the insurance company declares fixing the problem is worth more than the vehicle; hence it being salvaged.This statement is also ignorant. Do some research before you post about a subject for which you know nothing about.

This car is only going to give you hell.Yet another ignorant comment. Maybe not know but sooner or later it will.Did you fail English class? Your grammar is atrocious, and if it wasn't for spell check, I'm certain you would have many misspelled words in this post as well. Take into consideration that aftermarket parts were probably used and the fact you do not know who did the labor.Your reading comprehension is lacking as well; the poster stated the fender was repaired, not replaced. Who said anything about aftermarket parts used? Have you read your insurance policy lately? If you are involved in an accident, your insurance company will only pay for aftermarket, and most likely USED parts, to repair your vehicle, if such parts are available; OEM parts are only used when other sources have been exhausted. Educate yourself first prior to making ignorant remarks; this way you will not let come to light, the fact that you may be an uneducated used car salesman.

Plus this guy must be out of his mind with that kind of price. You can find a 98 all day with a clean title and probably cleaner than his. Is that what your little black book says?

I have bought and sold more cars than you will ever see in your lifetime. So how do you know this? Do you know me? And why do you insist on displaying your lack of education by posting ignorant comments?

If I was such an idiotic dealer I would respond with such ignorant words as yours.
I have not posted ignorant words. Perhaps you should consult a dictionary.

Last edited by nojodas67; 04-04-2012 at 05:50 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Cool

Your right I am an idiot and do not know anything about cars. Lets just end this now before it drags on any further. All hail to mr. know it all .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in