considering buying a E320 wagon with salvage title - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 2004 CL500
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's really simple, a vehicle with a salvaged title is just like any other vehicle. There is absolutely no way you will be able to tell the difference by driving it or having it inspected. The only way to know it is salvaged is the branded title. So in the end the only real difference is the lower resale value - which in your case is irrelevant because you plan on running it into the ground. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed. Don't bother listening to the used car dealer, they do not normally deal with salvaged vehicles so it's in their best interest to give bad publicity to any possible competition as long as it won't end up hurting their own business.

I would rather buy a salvaged vehicle for the same price as a clear title if the salvaged is in better condition. Of course I would pick the clear title if they were in similar condition due to the clear title being easier to sell later. The important thing is to have the vehicle thoroughly inspected - and this goes for cars with any type of title. You would be surprised what many clear title vehicles have gone through, and I mean that in a bad way. Some salvaged vehicles have never even been in an accident. With that said of course there will be salvaged vehicles which should never have been repaired, but that goes for clear titles as well - which brings me back to my original point, you will not be able to tell the difference between the two. So just have any car you plan on buying inspected by a good shop and you will be fine.
Speck102 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 1998 ML320, 2010 Sprinter Pass Van, 2010 R500, 2004 SLK230
Location: Chicago
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck102 View Post
It's really simple, a vehicle with a salvaged title is just like any other vehicle. There is absolutely no way you will be able to tell the difference by driving it or having it inspected. The only way to know it is salvaged is the branded title. So in the end the only real difference is the lower resale value - which in your case is irrelevant because you plan on running it into the ground. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed. Don't bother listening to the used car dealer, they do not normally deal with salvaged vehicles so it's in their best interest to give bad publicity to any possible competition as long as it won't end up hurting their own business.

I would rather buy a salvaged vehicle for the same price as a clear title if the salvaged is in better condition. Of course I would pick the clear title if they were in similar condition due to the clear title being easier to sell later. The important thing is to have the vehicle thoroughly inspected - and this goes for cars with any type of title. You would be surprised what many clear title vehicles have gone through, and I mean that in a bad way. Some salvaged vehicles have never even been in an accident. With that said of course there will be salvaged vehicles which should never have been repaired, but that goes for clear titles as well - which brings me back to my original point, you will not be able to tell the difference between the two. So just have any car you plan on buying inspected by a good shop and you will be fine.
You are right on! That was exactly my point, the title branding is not relevant to the condition of the car. It ticks me off when car dealers give bad publicity to salvage or rebuilt-titled vehicles, even though they have probably never driven or seen one ; but you are too kind.
nojodas67 is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 1,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
language

And we criticize politicians' "lack of civility?"
Hemersam
Beverly Sharp is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
NorCalSL's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '70 280S-'73 450SLC-'81 380SL-'84 500SEC Euro-'92 300SL24-'95 E320
Location: Northcoast of Ca in Eureka
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I currently have 2 vehicles in my mini fleet, a '66 Porsche 912 and an '89 Mercedes 300SE.
In both cases I am unable to determine the reason for the title change nor has either vehicle given me any trouble. I sold a '99 Ford Ranger that I purchased from a Dealer with a salvage title and sold it for non salvage dollars. Salvage title is just a piece of paper, do your own due diligence justa as you would with any car. Back to my coffee
dws


1973 Mercedes 450SLC (PineGreen/MahoganyLeather)
1981 Mercedes 380SL FORSALE (LtIvory/PalominoMBTex)
1984 Mercedes 500SEC Euro (040Black/BlackLeather)
1992 Mercedes 300SL-24 Signal Red/Black Leather
NorCalSL is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck102 View Post
It's really simple, a vehicle with a salvaged title is just like any other vehicle. There is absolutely no way you will be able to tell the difference by driving it or having it inspected. The only way to know it is salvaged is the branded title. So in the end the only real difference is the lower resale value - which in your case is irrelevant because you plan on running it into the ground. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed. Don't bother listening to the used car dealer, they do not normally deal with salvaged vehicles so it's in their best interest to give bad publicity to any possible competition as long as it won't end up hurting their own business.

I would rather buy a salvaged vehicle for the same price as a clear title if the salvaged is in better condition. Of course I would pick the clear title if they were in similar condition due to the clear title being easier to sell later. The important thing is to have the vehicle thoroughly inspected - and this goes for cars with any type of title. You would be surprised what many clear title vehicles have gone through, and I mean that in a bad way. Some salvaged vehicles have never even been in an accident. With that said of course there will be salvaged vehicles which should never have been repaired, but that goes for clear titles as well - which brings me back to my original point, you will not be able to tell the difference between the two. So just have any car you plan on buying inspected by a good shop and you will be fine.
As one who has bought a salvage-titled vehicle and do not regret ti, I would have to disagree with your statement that there is no way to tell a salvage vehicle by inspection. That totally depends on the reason the vehicle was branded as salvage. If the vehicle was damaged in an accident and repaired, I don't care how skilled the repairmen were, a careful inspection will detect the repairs! In the case of the vehicle which I bought, it had been stolen and was recovered with the leather-trimmed interior missing. When I purchased it the interior had been replaced with that from a lower trim line. Anyone who knows what the interior of my car should look like will know that it has been replaced. It was branded as salvage because the cost of replacing the interior with the leather was greater than the value of the vehicle. It has run fine for about 110,000 miles and I intend to run it until the wheels fall off. Under the right conditions, I would consider buying another salvage vehicle, but only after very careful inspection.
wklopf is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 2004 CL500
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklopf View Post
As one who has bought a salvage-titled vehicle and do not regret ti, I would have to disagree with your statement that there is no way to tell a salvage vehicle by inspection. That totally depends on the reason the vehicle was branded as salvage. If the vehicle was damaged in an accident and repaired, I don't care how skilled the repairmen were, a careful inspection will detect the repairs! In the case of the vehicle which I bought, it had been stolen and was recovered with the leather-trimmed interior missing. When I purchased it the interior had been replaced with that from a lower trim line. Anyone who knows what the interior of my car should look like will know that it has been replaced. It was branded as salvage because the cost of replacing the interior with the leather was greater than the value of the vehicle. It has run fine for about 110,000 miles and I intend to run it until the wheels fall off. Under the right conditions, I would consider buying another salvage vehicle, but only after very careful inspection.

Here's the thing, there are a LOT of vehicles on the road that have been wrecked and repaired, and still retain a clear title. How would you tell the difference between a car that was wrecked and stayed a clear title, and one that received a salvaged title? There is no way to tell. Never mind that someone driving without insurance can repair any amount of damage they sustain to their car and it will stay a clear title because insurance never got involved. Take the same car with the same exact damage. When the car is new and worth $60k, chances are if you get in a wreck that will cost $10k to repair insurance will repair it and give it back to you with a clear title. Now take that same vehicle a few years down the road when it is worth $15k. Take the same exact accident with the same $10k worth of damage, your insurance company WILL total the car, and if it is then repaired it will have a salvaged title. What is the difference between the two except for a piece of paper?

That's my point, a car is a car, there are good and bad in both camps, so what is important is to make sure that whatever you are buying is safe to drive.
Speck102 is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Feb 2008
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck102 View Post
Here's the thing, there are a LOT of vehicles on the road that have been wrecked and repaired, and still retain a clear title. How would you tell the difference between a car that was wrecked and stayed a clear title, and one that received a salvaged title? There is no way to tell. Never mind that someone driving without insurance can repair any amount of damage they sustain to their car and it will stay a clear title because insurance never got involved. Take the same car with the same exact damage. When the car is new and worth $60k, chances are if you get in a wreck that will cost $10k to repair insurance will repair it and give it back to you with a clear title. Now take that same vehicle a few years down the road when it is worth $15k. Take the same exact accident with the same $10k worth of damage, your insurance company WILL total the car, and if it is then repaired it will have a salvaged title. What is the difference between the two except for a piece of paper?

That's my point, a car is a car, there are good and bad in both camps, so what is important is to make sure that whatever you are buying is safe to drive.
My main point was that a careful inspection will reveal repaired damage, which I would look for regardless of title condition. You are right about there are vehicles on the road which have clear titles in spite of having been severely damaged and repaired. Some years ago I purchased a wrecked MB which had been a Mercedes lease. It had a clear title, but even after some very skillful repairs, it still possible to find evidence of the repairs. Again, careful inspection of the vehicle by someone who knows what they are looking for will tell a lot about the vehicle
wklopf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    $10k for a Salvage Title non turbo wagon... Craig300cd W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class 6 07-13-2011 11:22 AM
    CL500 How much discount for SALVAGE title? NeroBlack C215 CL-Class 9 06-18-2011 11:33 PM
    FS: 1998 E320 Wagon,clean title,CA car,170k mi stuttgart For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway 0 07-11-2009 02:31 PM
    Importing Salvage title US to Canada -NINJA- General Mercedes-Benz 3 07-19-2008 09:33 PM
    92 W124 With salvage Title DADARKPRINCE W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 5 07-13-2006 02:20 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome