450 SEL Motor wanted - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 93 500SEL DOA - PARTING OUT, 08 CLK350 Cab -DOA, '05 CLK500 Cab (hers), '10 Razor Elec Scooter (his)
Location: Northern California's Great Central Valley - Meth Capital of USA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptelan View Post
At least on US-spec models, later years were less and less powerful due to increasing emissions regulations. An iron Mercedes V-8 will last quite a while IF taken proper care of. I'm installing an OM617 which won't be a fast car but I don't care - I love the 615/616/617 engines and don't like W126's and want a long wheelbase model.

The 450SEL I've got is quite zippy in contrast, and the V-8 sound/feel is awesome; I just want to favor fuel economy for long trips.
What kinda MPG does the 3 speed 4.5L w116 get? I'm thinking high single digits to low teens, yeah?

I'd love to have a diesel 116
It'll be a helluva nice cruiser!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 78' 300cd, 81' 300sd, 87' 300sdl, 83 300sd, 79' 450sel
(Thread Starter)
aboy, No worries man everything is gravy.. I got my 116 and I'm stoked about it just looking for information and ideas...The car is in awesome shape, just know gas engines don't last as diesels and with 275k Im expecting it to go out fairly soon so I want to have her replacement ready to go.

As for fuel economy Im curious too as I haven't driven it yet (valentine gift) . On other forums they say the 6.9 is between 8.5 to 10 maybe 11.. lol Im hoping the 4.5 will do better than that otherwise ill put a 6.9 in.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: AccountKiller
17-18mpg is the rating for K-jet 450's. My older D-jet gets around 12. The w116 300SD was rated for 22mpg, but an SDL will naturally be worse. With careful driving/tuning, you'll still never see above 30mpg in a diesel W116.

The 300SD has a top speed of 103mph, and it pretty good for everyday driving. With a 450 on the other hand you feel like the king of the road - it's heavy and doesn't take off from a stop as fast as many modern cars, but when you're already doing 60-80mph on the highway and put your foot down it jump up to 100 easily - top speed of 130. The gas cost of the D-jets are too frustrating for daily driving but the K-jets are a rather nice compromise, plus it's far easier to find mechanics who understand it.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 10:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Okay, I can type a little more now (earlier messages were sent from my iPod so were kind of terse)...

Check out Mercedes-Benz W116 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a lot of info (note that it doesn't give breakdown of different hp in each year though). Looks like I was mixed up with the 350 that I was reading about recently. The rating for the 450SE is 16.2 mpg, versus 22.2 mpg in the 300SD - about a 27% difference. Also 190hp (for earlier years) versus 110hp (for '79/'79 SD). Though in the 1980 models the 450 was down to only 160hp, and the 300SD was pushed up to 120.

As far as mileage, I would hazard to suggest that a well-maintained M117 will last as long as a well-maintained OM617. The larger engines don't have to strain as much to do the same thing, so there is inherently less wear. The cast/forged iron engines are much more durable than more modern designs incorporating more aluminum and weight-saving efforts. Mercedes makes better engines than most other companies. So there's three things going for it right there. The 350 was similar to the 450 but using aluminum components, and it is fairly common to hear about them being replaced by used 450's when they go.

As for the 6.9; the US models were 250hp. It would also cost you a lot to find (only about 7,000 made versus 100,000 450's), and you would destroy all resale value by putting it in a non-original chassis.

So do you think you might actually be interested in this engine?

Last edited by Raptelan; 02-18-2012 at 11:02 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Raptelan, Thanks for the info. I have been giving it a lot of thought and I don't think I'm gonna put it the 6.9 for various reasons however that being said you said you also have a 4.5L I would like one from the more powerful 80' or earlier I just want it to have fairly low miles and for it to have had a decent maintenance history. Once I recieve the motor depending on the condition of the components I may rebuild it.. I only want to do this swap once. Let me know what else you have thanks
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 93 500SEL DOA - PARTING OUT, 08 CLK350 Cab -DOA, '05 CLK500 Cab (hers), '10 Razor Elec Scooter (his)
Location: Northern California's Great Central Valley - Meth Capital of USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blaise View Post
Raptelan, Thanks for the info. I have been giving it a lot of thought and I don't think I'm gonna put it the 6.9 for various reasons however that being said you said you also have a 4.5L I would like one from the more powerful 80' or earlier I just want it to have fairly low miles and for it to have had a decent maintenance history. Once I recieve the motor depending on the condition of the components I may rebuild it.. I only want to do this swap once. Let me know what else you have thanks
Mr B: Another thought would be rather than find just an engine is to find a running 4.5L 116 (even wrecked) somewhere out here and buy it as a parts car. I have had good luck doing this in the past, but I'm not sure what the supply is like in your neck of the woods. I could probably find half a dozen 4.5L engines at local pick n pulls within an hour or two of my house. I also see running 4.5L 116s for sale fairly regularly down here in the $1-2k range.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
aboy, yah I have thought of that too..there are couple yards near buy. I would by a whole 116 running and all and strip it out for the one I have now but I don't have the room to stow a parts car. thats my only problem and also its tough to find one thats grey on black..For a parts car I want it to be as close to identical interior wise as possible. Im looking around. Raptelan is in maryland so it ll cost me as much in the engine as it would to ship it.. however if it had stupid low miles out of a wrecked car I would do it. Just waiting to get home so I can see what kind of talent the local yards have.. Haven't been to any yet. but the forums sound pretty promising so we ll see. thanks for the thoughts though. cheers
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Sorry, I think there has been some confusion both ways - I don't have a 6.9 - I have two 4.5's - a '74 D-jet with 150k miles, and a '77 K-jet with 190k. Don't have records for either but the '77 seems to definitely be the better taken care of as even with higher miles it's smoother and more powerful. Plus it's the one that gets better fuel economy.

I thought you were in the northeast rather than northwest, which seemed more ideal. Sorry about that. If you want it shipped I can start looking into removing it on my own but if I were in your shoes I'd probably look for one closer. You might be able to find a badly rusted 450 cheap that has a good engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in