Hello all, I am new to the forum so please excuse me if I'm doing anything wrong.
I own a 1986 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL that I purchased about 6 or so months ago and got it dirt cheap due to rough idle issue and hard starting.
I will start off by explaining to you what is currently wrong with it:
- Oil leak (quite a large one, too! About 1 quart every full tank of gas)
- Rough idle (not so bad in park, kinda shakey in drive)
- Windshield washer does not work. (Needs new combination switch, system was tested and is functional, the combination switch just needs to be repaired.)
- Heater does not work on highway (mono-valve?)
- No A/C, hasn't worked since I got it.
- Right rear window switch does not work (but it does work from switch up front)
- Wheels need to be painted as they are faded.
- Rear window defrost only works in top 1/4 of window.
- Front right headlight assembly could be replaced (but is fully functional)
- Leather is slightly ripped on driver side seat along with one of the springs being broken in the seat.
- Centeral locking doesn't work. (needs new pump in trunk due to leak that caused circuit board to fry.
- Rear antenna does work but forgot to hook it up to new radio that was installed (I never go through car wash because I wash it by hand so we just left it in the up position)
- I have not gotten around to replacing one bulb for the license plate area
- Emergency brake works but may need adjustment due to squeeking, so i dont use it (oh, I also zip tied the pedal up because the spring is old and it caused the break light to stay on)
- There is one valve that is out of adjustment and ticks a bit.
(I feel like I've listed everything)
Now here's whats good (In my opinion):
- Paint is AMAZING. It's dark-ish grey and beautiful. (There are a few scratches that could be fixed, but for the most part its great!)
- Valve covers were taken off... passenger side cams were all replaced and look new, timing chain and guides look new. (I'm told this is a good thing)
What I have done to it:
- New oil pan and oil pan gasket
- New oil strainer
- New V-Belts
- New exaust doughnuts
- New spark plugs
- New ignition wires
- New engine motor mounts
- Intake system overhaul (new seals, ect.)
- New fuel injector holders
- EGR-delete (just removed lines)
- New radio and rear speakers
- Cleaned tranny governor due to no shift issue
- Tranny flush
I am 16, this is my first car. It was a father son project for a while, but there is just too much work to be done to it for my budget. I am a huge fan of the old big huge classic Mercedes-Benz vehicles. I have never abused my Mercedes, as I'm not the person to drive any car hard (more like cruise with my glen campbell cd on).
Price: $2,500... (I bought it for 2000).
Go ahead and shoot me offers, I just really don't want this beautiful car to go to waste. Maybe do trades, would love a decent running mercedes. (maybe a buick roadmaster estate wagon?) hahaha.
I live in the Tacoma/Seattle area of Washington State for anyone who needs to know.
If you would like some pictures or more info, message me with an email addy.