NA OM603
4 speed automatic
267K miles
Diamond Blue / Navy Blue
Crank windows
Manual seats
Power sunroof
A/C (not working)
Euro lights with working adjusters (thumbwheel next to headlight bezel)!
Does NOT smoke

I bought this car 2 years ago from the 2nd owner who had it for 20 years. It came with a stack of maintenance records, receipts, and original books with stamps. He was a die hard MB enthusiast who had just purchased a new W211 E350 and also had a W124 400e parked in the garage. Needless to say, it was very, very well maintained and shows a religious history of 30K tranny fluid flushes, frequent oil changes, etc.

In my two years of ownership, I have lavished lots of $$ keeping this car maintained in the same fashion as the PO. Whatever it needed, it was done and it was done it time. I'm not one to let problems fester and wait for something to break. I've only used Rotella T6 Synthetic motor oil and flushed it every 3K miles which is borderline OCD.

I've just purchased a W126 560SEL and need to sell this car to make room. I've grown attached to it and I'm looking for another MB enthusiast to take ownership.

The Good:

Every single body panel on this car is original. The paint is original. No strange gaps, shutlines, etc.

Mechanically, I have adhered to (and in some cases exceeded) MB's strict maintenance schedule. Here is a partial list of what has been replaced with OE MB parts in the last 30K miles:

-Tranny fluid drain and refill just done for the 2nd time
-Transmission pan
- Diff fluid
- Newish General tires less than 10K miles
-Thermostat housing and thermostat
- Coolant flush done for the 2nd time
- Injector return hoses, fuel feed hoses from chassis
- Brake fluid flush, front pads
- Motor mounts and transmission mounts
- Front inner and outer sway bar bushings
- Idler arm bushings
- Steering shock
- Rear lower control arm bushings
- Right, rear wheel bearing
- Fan clutch
- Aux fan relay
- Fuel filters
- Belt tensioner, belt shock and fan pulley
- Vacuum pump gasket
- Driveshaft support and flex joint - front and rear

All work was performed by Wolfgang's in Tenafly, NJ. Their work and service are second to none.

Again, this is just a partial list.

The car runs and drives excellent. The transmission shifts are firm, not too soft, not too hard. Yes, it is the original transmission and a testament to why everyone should service their transmission at scheduled intervals (I'm a BMW guy and despise their "lifetime" fluid nonsense in the new cars). The suspension and steering are tight. The power is what you would expect from a NA OM 603 with 110HP to motivate 3400lbs around. That said, the power delivery is smooth and it cruises easily at 80 - 85 MPH on the highway. You can accelerate up most hills and / or at least maintain speed on really steep ones.

I consistently see 27 - 29MPG in stop and go city driving, 33 - 36MPG on the highway and around 30 -31 in mixed driving. I use Redline Diesel Catalyst on every fill-up.

The interior is navy blue MB-tex in as-new condition with the exception of a tiny hole in the driver's side bolster that has not gotten worse in my 2 years of ownership. Headliner is unstained, original, and NOT falling.

The sunroof tilt and slide function works properly. This one has the US style automatic climate control and all fan speeds work. Heat is hot.

Vacuum door lock and trunk lock are functioning properly.

The Bad:

- Some rust around the jack points. I sanded down and used a rust inhibitor. Not terrible, but worth mentioning. Underneath is clean and solid.
- Minor body damage around the driver's side rear quarter panel from when the PO's wife had a low MPH mishap with a tree in their driveway. I will take better pictures this weekend
- Engine lifter noise at cold start and hot running ONLY at idle. Comes and goes, it's been like that for the last 30K miles
- Seats bottoms could use new horsehair pads
- AC is leaking from the compressor and does NOT work
- Fuel gauge is a bit optimistic
- Typical oil seepage from front of motor as is typical
- Dash is cracked (common with the navy blue dashes)
- Slight rattle from driver's side upper strut mount over certain roads
- A few creaks and rattles, mainly from the sunroof area, that are common on a 250K+ mile W124

- Real euro lights with glass lenses and cockpit adjusters
- Engine block heater
- Weather-tech mats

The car starts up without any issue in cold weather, but I like to plug it in when the temp drops below freezing. I also use a full glow plug cycle on cold starts (I wait until I hear the relay shut off not when the light goes out).

Mechanically, this car is excellent. I would drive it anywhere without hesitation. Cosmetically, it is good but not great; body panels and paint are original, but there is some rust (as mentioned) and the clear coat shows many fine scratches from automatic washes (not under my care). I used a 3 step process to detail the car: paint cleaner, hand glaze, and then wax. It was just done 2 months ago and shouldn't need any attention beyond regular washes until next September. The interior still shows well save for the dash cracks. If you are looking for a show car, please keep looking. If you are looking for a rare, grey market W124 diesel that is a turn-key, daily driver this is it!

Fly-in and drive home.

Interested buyers, please contact me:

e28m5 at comcast dot net

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: